More Evidence of Apple Asteroid

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Stop with the powerbook

I dont know if you were joking or what but can we please wait for awhile before we start with the g5 book next tuesday. Let's at least hit 4 months or 1 month before WWDC before we get on that topic

2. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

I wonder what they used to demo Garageband 2 at MWSF?

3. SallyWattle macrumors newbie

SallyWattle

Exatly

And Garage Band records 8 audio inputs!!!!!!!

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Mock-up

Appleinsider posted an interesting article on this back in November. If you're not sure what all of this 'Asteroid' talk is, it might be an interesting read. In addition, they posted an artist's rendition of the rumored product.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=756

Squire

Attached Files:

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Best. Gag. Ever.

Kudos to whoever included this. I wish I had checked the thread first: it would have saved me digging up a 1985-vintage BinHex (which I'm impressed to say still runs like a charm in Classic) and cracking the thing open.

6. zac4mac macrumors 6502

zac4mac

I think AI got its wires crossed with Asteroid and the Mac mini. The case they showed in November looks too much like the mini to be coincidence.

Z

7. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Unless...

...unless you're supposed to stack them.

Squire

8. jmurray macrumors member

It's common in pro audio world for control surfaces such as Digidesign's Pro Control, Control 24, et al. to use 10/100 tBase Ethernet connections and not MIDI to communicate with DAW's for editing, recording, and automation.

9. pounce macrumors regular

sure, and my radikal sac2k uses usb. but all my keyboards still use midi which is the original point. you wouldn't use the control 24 to play keyboard parts into logic :)

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

why am i hearing people say they are "waiting with cash in hand" for this thing to come out? there a hundreds of these already available at any musical instrument store...not like Apple is releasing a new invention here. what's everyone so chubby about? yeah, it'll probably look pretty but i'd be surprised if the A/D converters are on par with even the low end pro audio stuff. hopefully i'm wrong.

11. jerrynick macrumors newbie

We're fooled bigtime by Apple. This is the image generated from the asteroid.tiff-file:

[​IMG]

And this is an image from the old school game Asteroid Attack:

[​IMG]

This is really a great joke..! Apple fooled the rumoursites..!

[ Jerry ]

12. freebird macrumors member

Firewire and low latency.

Multi-track ability and MIDI.

Normally you're paying at least $250-$400 for that. Hundreds? Maybe three to four external audio interfaces. One or two firewire interfaces similar to what Apple would release.

13. freebird macrumors member

Using that image as playholder doesn't meant Apple is not going to or did not intend to release such a device.

Macrumors Forum members are such bandwagon yuppies. One guy says something and everyone else instantly believes them.

14. age234 macrumors 6502

age234

To whoever is interested, XLR is used to connect lights to dimmer packs and lightboards and stuff, as well as audio.

That picture is too funny.

Be happy, Caged Duck ( ;) )! We may be yuppies, but we're not dangerous.

15. cheese1113 macrumors newbie

November 12??

Do a get info on the image and you will see that it was created on November 12, 2004.
    I'm not quite sure if this means anything though.

—cheese1113

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Not really, because we got the joke!

17. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Who cares about midi-files? I want SID-files!

18. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

what makes you think the Apple Asteroid won't cost that much? i can't see it costing any less than $250, bare minimum. if it does fall below that price it means they cut corners. Apple is not one to compromise on industrial design and looks so i'd suspect that they cut corners on the hardware side, probably by using cheap converters. like i said, i hope i'm wrong but i don't think they are about to put out a budget-priced device that has all the quality of the current stuff already out there.

19. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

tjwett, perhaps you're right. Maybe it will cost a small fortune. My guess is that it won't, though. First of all, I think Apple is finally realizing that reducing their margins and increasing units sold might be an okay way to go. Secondly, if this thing targets GarageBand users (as it's rumored to), Apple will probably aim at that price point (i.e. people using an app in a $70 dollar software suite as opposed to Logic 7, or even Express, buyers).

My "finally" was going to be "...because AppleInsider's info points at a price of around $150" but that would just confirm your point about using shoddy components. ;) Maybe that's the plan, though. Make a cheap, all-purpose box that can do it all. Speaking of which, what do you think of this little unit? Not bad for 200 bucks, eh?

Squire

20. oldcrow88 macrumors newbie

asteriod.tiff

just for kicks, i changed the extension to jpg to see if it could open. it didn't. i then changed it back and later that day i ran a virus scan. Virex found Asteriod.tiff and flagged it as having infections
    i checked my old logs and it was not flagged.

21. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah, perhaps i've been thinking about this thing in wrong way. i'm thinking of it as being a pro unit, but it might very well be just a hobbyist thing. i'm curious to see what resolutions it supports seeing how GarageBand only allows you to export to 16bit/44khz. 24bit/96khz is standard today, but if GB can't use it then they may as well not bother supporting it. that would cut costs a bunch. even still, putting out a FireWire interface that doesn't do at least 24/96 would be taking a big step backwards. anyway, i have an entire studio of toys to play with so i really shouldn't be worrying about the Asteroid anyway. hope it's cool.