More Google iPhone Apps on the Way

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by iLounge, ZDNet reports on Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt's comments in Paris about Google and Apple.

In particular, Schmidt showed off his iPhone and hinted at future applications:
"iPhone is a powerful new device and is going to be particularly good for the apps that Google is building. You should expect other announcements from the two companies over time"
AT&T's Glen Lurie made similar comments in an earlier interview that we should expect more Google widgets.

Apple has already announced a new Youtube (owned by Google) application for the iPhone and has indicated that they will be introducing new iPhone applications of over time.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Good news. :)

Anyone who still thinks the iPhone will flop, please stand up.

WebApps, anyone?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
definitely good news. and if they'll work on the iPhone, does that mean they should work on OS X Leopard? hmm

i like this new partnership with Google personally.

cjewby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2005
Good news. :)

Anyone who still thinks the iPhone will flop, please stand up.

WebApps, anyone?
with the almighty google behind it.. it will never fail!

it'd be cool be able to upload to picasa via the phone.. (granted a little redundant and unnecessary..but ehhh :cool:)

Now if google and apple could work out an ical syncing program I'd be happy...:D

Jan 30, 2006
Google seems to be one of the most cool technology companies (aside from Apple) nowadays.

I really hope we see some cool apps for OS X in the future. Like Picasa.:)

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
.Mac

Makes you wonder if this has something to do with the .Mac update? I wonder just how close this "partnership" will become?

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I'd expect to see "web apps" (from Google) as Steve mentioned in the Keynote. I think that only Apple will be writing actual apps for the iPhone.

DanielMark

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Meaning

All meaning in life now revolves around the acquisition of an iPhone. Why would I want to go on without it?:)

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Ah, it's all so exciting!!! :) I hope I don't encounter any product shortages when I go to buy my iPhone...

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Exactly!

Plush, I'd like to see Google take over the back-end of .Mac.
Makes you wonder if this has something to do with the .Mac update? I wonder just how close this "partnership" will become?
I have had .Mac for three years now. Since I am in europe I pay €99 ($132) per year for: email/sync/idisk.
.mac is $132 for 1 Gb
gmail is free for 2Gb (no sync, but seriously)

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Hoping

I have had .Mac for three years now. Since I am in europe I pay €99 ($132) per year for: email/sync/idisk.
.mac is $132 for 1 Gb
gmail is free for 2Gb (no sync, but seriously)
I too have had my .Mac account for several years. I agree with you, that up to this point, .Mac has been lacking real value. But I've continued to hope that they would eventually improve it. The latest comments by Jobs when questioned about this have been encouraging, and now the iPhone is about to hit the market, so I'm hanging in there.

I will say that I have not had the spam problem with my .Mac account that I used to get with my freebee mail accounts. I haven't used Gmail, so I don't know if it's any better. Also, it looks like syncing and backup will be a lot better with Leopard. So, I'm still hopeful.

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
Man, I think all of these announcements in the last week have been just for me. I used to be on the fence about the iPhone but that fence has now been completely mowed over by a gigantic touch screen bulldozer.

respin4

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Google's end of the deal

How is Google making money from the iPhone/AppleTV deals? Google has certainly invested some good amount of resources into this. How does it make business sense from their side. Is Apple actually paying Google "per hit" o to license the use of Google's services? Is it more intangible like a "cool" factor gain or to widespread the use of Google beyond de computer?

Is Google+Apple the new Microsoft+IBM?

ISMPlus

macrumors regular
May 25, 2007
NYC
We could easily see the development of iPhone version of Google's "Office" suite. It would make it more interesting for business users in general.
If that happens I will be sold immediately! Just what I need!!:eek:

Retired
May 16, 2006
How is Google making money from the iPhone/AppleTV deals? Google has certainly invested some good amount of resources into this. How does it make business sense from their side. Is Apple actually paying Google "per hit" o to license the use of Google's services? Is it more intangible like a "cool" factor gain or to widespread the use of Google beyond de computer?
Much more than that:

1. The more people exposed to YouTube, the more hits they get, and the more ad revenue they make.

2. Unlike IE, Safari's default search is Google, so they get more hits the more people using Safari, and therefore get a lot of money from mac users (and now Windows users who have switched from IE to Safari)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.