More heat! - 2.53 MBP 13" vs. 2.4 Unibody Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CalMin, Jul 14, 2009.

1. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I sidegraded to a 2.53ghz MBP from my 2.4 unibody MB. The MBP runs noticeably hotter. I figured that it would not be all that noticeable, but the MBP is more prone to running its fan under load.

I didn't think that .13 of a ghz would make much difference to heat management. Is there something fundamentally different on the logic board? I changed machine for a better screen and FW, but figured that the machines would otherwise be identical...

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Even though it uses the same chipset, the hardware configuration has changed a bit. Faster CPU, means a little bit more heat. 133 MHz is a noticeable difference in terms of heat. Also consider the extra ports means everything is bit more crammed than before, so thermally there is less heat dissipation.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah i would think it should run the same temp, regardless of the cpu bump and cramming of ports on the mobo.

4. friede macrumors newbie

I also updatet from my 2,4 uMB, with which i was very pleased by the way to a new 2,53 uMBP. The battery and the screen pushed me in deciding to get a new one. My MB always ran very smooth and worked cool if i did not push it to the extreme. But the new MBP runs noticeably hotter. I find this very annoying. I didnt think that this would happen. In addition to that i have the beachball of death since the 1.7 EFI update.

All thats makes me regretting my decision quite a bit...

5. cababah macrumors 68000

Does anyone here actually have concrete quantitative specs of the difference instead of just subjectively saying it is "hotter?"

Maybe a side-by-side comparison of the same programs being used with similar software set ups. There are so many things that can contribute to the difference.

6. CalMin thread starter macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I could do this save for the fact that my 2.4 MB is boxed up nicely and on eBay. I just noticed this subjectively. It is noticeable. Nothing to worry about, but it definitely runs warmer.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I would say the MB, being smaller and about the same freq would run a little hotter because the cooling hardware is just not equal to that of the size of the 15" MBPs.

you wont notice a difference if they are the same series chips, but different frequencies. Now if one was a T-series, and the other was a P-series, there would be a difference, because of the voltage used.

All in all, I would say they would be "about " equal, both should run mid 40s- low 50s at standard usage.

8. friede macrumors newbie

Would be difficult because i dont have the money to buy a new machine and keep the old one...

But believe me, it was hard to push my MB over 70 C.
    My MBP reaches 80 C quite often...

I think this is a big difference.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

install FanControl? The specs and cases are almost identical..it should be relatively the same. I bet the fan just isn't coming on enough.

10. friede macrumors newbie

But on my MB the fan wasn't coming on either. I dont want my fan to run at 4000 rpm all the time...

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd still recommend that you try it. You may not have noticed the fans, as they're virtually inaudible until about 3500rpms or so

12. rockonchen macrumors newbie

Sorry If I'm being stupid!
    Is it possible that the redesigned battery produces more heat than previous generation 13" MacBook?

13. friede macrumors newbie

Ok i will give that a try... Thanks!

i dont think so because my MBP gets very hot in the upper left corner (W,A,S,D Keys and so on). The battery is at the bottom under the trackpad. This part doesnt get so hot...