Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Do we know whether they've made the jump to OLED yet? Apple usually are industry leader when it comes to displays but they have festered since the iPhone 5 and other phone screens have taken the top spot in terms of good quality image reproduction.
Agreed. The display on my s6 edge is far superior than my iPhone 6 plus. OLED is just beautiful. they probably won't change the display until iPhone 7 though.

I think people's concern with OLED was the color saturation. But with s6 you can adjust the screen modes the colors aren't so saturated.

But I actually prefer the colors to be bright and bold.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
he image also appears identical to those released over the weekend by repair company GeekBar, with the same possible cutouts for a taptic engine to fuel Force Touch and a slightly thicker frame.

Wow, it would be quite cool if they could use haptic feedback to simulate the clicking of keyboard keys! I know, I'm dreaming…

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Wow, it would be quite cool if they could use haptic feedback to simulate the clicking of keyboard keys! I know, I'm dreaming…

Yeah I don't get why apple won't add that. Android and windows phone both have haptic feedback option and if someone doesn't like it they can turn it off or adjust the intensity.

Reactions: Apple Human

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Yet the phones with those "other screens" haven't beat the iPhone 6/6Plus is in sales however. Just sayin'. ;)

And knowing the iPhone still carries dated less premium hardware you're still there buying it at an inflated price and thinking it makes sense because Apple is making more money than any other OEM. Did you have this mentality when you picked an apartment to rent, when you were buying house, car, TV, home theater system, etc...? Did you say, sure I'll pay more for that car with no AC, no Bluetooth, less horsepower than that other car that was better made with more premium hardware? And then turn around and brag that you got such a car and that everyone is buying one, and now you feel great about it? Really?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And knowing the iPhone still carries dated less premium hardware you're still there buying it at an inflated price and thinking it makes sense because Apple is making more money than any other OEM. Did you have this mentality when you picked an apartment to rent, when you were buying house, car, TV, home theater system, etc...? Did you say, sure I'll pay more for that car with no AC, no Bluetooth, less horsepower than that other car that was better made with more premium hardware? And then turn around and brag that you got such a car and that everyone is buying one, and now you feel great about it? Really?
Not everyone wants to use Android or cares about 2K displays. Of course Android OEMs have to go spec whoring as they're sharing the same OS and ecosystem. Yeah the iPhone needs more RAM (and I'll bet my AAPL stock we get it this year) but I wasn't aware the A8 and A8X were lagging behind the competition.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Yet the phones with those "other screens" haven't beat the iPhone 6/6Plus is in sales however. Just sayin'. ;)
That doesn't mean the screens aren't still better in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. than the screens the iPhone uses. It just means that the iPhone is more popular and has zero competition from other OEMs in the iOS space (that's because there are no other OEMs that ship with iOS on their devices). The reason Apple probably won't use OLEDs for a while longer is that Samsung makes the best in the business, but their yields aren't the best if I recall, and they don't sell their newest displays for 2 years. I don't think Apple will be using a screen designed by Samsung from 2013 while Samsung devices get the 2015 panels. The PR department would have a nightmare on its hands.

ElCharro

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2014
That doesn't mean the screens aren't still better in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. than the screens the iPhone uses. It just means that the iPhone is more popular and has zero competition from other OEMs in the iOS space (that's because there are no other OEMs that ship with iOS on their devices). The reason Apple probably won't use OLEDs for a while longer is that Samsung makes the best in the business, but their yields aren't the best if I recall, and they don't sell their newest displays for 2 years. I don't think Apple will be using a screen designed by Samsung from 2013 while Samsung devices get the 2015 panels. The PR department would have a nightmare on its hands.

I didn't know that. I have never, & probably will never own a Samsung phone but I must admit the screen on the S6 is the nicest screen I've seen. I reckon the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will feature a screen upgrade. I'll be getting the 6S regardless, mostly for those 2GB RAM that are as good as guaranteed.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Not everyone wants to use Android or cares about 2K displays. Of course Android OEMs have to go spec whoring as they're sharing the same OS and ecosystem. Yeah the iPhone needs more RAM (and I'll bet my AAPL stock we get it this year) but I wasn't aware the A8 and A8X were lagging behind the competition.
The only display resolution I care about is one where I literally can't see the pixels with my naked eye. iPhone 6 I can, haven't used the 6+ but on my 1080p 5.2" Moto X I mostly can't. For me 1080p is fine, 2K is a bit much but acceptable. You did hit the nail on the head with the spec wars. All Android OEMs have to compete with each other, and the only differentiating factors they have are their software tweaks and hardware. Plus, the average consumer generally thinks more is better so they cater to that mentality too. I am quite pleased with the performance of my Air 2's A8X, and from what I understand most apps can't use more than 1 processor core at a time anyway so the extras are just for the basic multitasking that takes place anyway. The octa core chipsets being pushed nowadays are very heavy overkill, especially since my quad core device run quite well. 2 up to maybe 4 cores are all that would be needed on a mobile device nowadays as long as the actual processor tech keeps building to be better (I'm not that technical of a person).

Reactions: AleXXXa

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I didn't know that. I have never, & probably will never own a Samsung phone but I must admit the screen on the S6 is the nicest screen I've seen. I reckon the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will feature a screen upgrade. I'll be getting the 6S regardless, mostly for those 2GB RAM that are as good as guaranteed.
Yeah, I'm quoting that from memory on something I read a year or two ago. Although, no other manufacturer seems to use the newest Samsung display panels, so I feel there is some truth to it.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
The difference between OLED and LED is simply lighting. Blacks are washed out on LED but OLED draws a lot more power if the whole screen is bright or white. Brightness is also OLED's weakness.
I find nothing wrong with the retina LED displays on my iPhone 6. It produces excellent picture quality.

There's no such thing as an LED display, unless you count those jumbo billboard screens on Time Square ;)

It's an LED backlit LCD display as opposed to an OLED display.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

Serious question, if the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 and the current GS6/Edge models water sold with iOS, what do you think would happen to the iPhone sales? My logic says, unless, an overwhelming portion of Apple's iPhone sales are from blind loyalists, I would say logic dictates the iPhone sales would plummet.

Reactions: S G

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Serious question, if the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 and the current GS6/Edge models water sold with iOS, what do you think would happen to the iPhone sales? My logic says, unless, an overwhelming portion of Apple's iPhone sales are from blind loyalists, I would say logic dictates the iPhone sales would plummet.

Why would you think that? I have no interest in a samsung phone running iOS.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Agreed. The display on my s6 edge is far superior than my iPhone 6 plus. OLED is just beautiful. they probably won't change the display until iPhone 7 though.

I think people's concern with OLED was the color saturation. But with s6 you can adjust the screen modes the colors aren't so saturated.

But I actually prefer the colors to be bright and bold.

My concern with OLED is burn-in, which has happened to ALL of my Android phones, including the ones that had displays that the manufacturer, and the net, and forum users said would not. With the iPhone, this would be a huge "do not buy" red flag for me, as there is no message notification LED, requiring that I leave the display on all the time while plugged in, so I don't miss messages. Combined with the color shift over the course of the year in all OLED displays, from blue to yellow, the forum here would be a cluster for years, of never-ending threads about OLED issues. I have LCD devices over 10 years old that still look as good as when they were new. ALL of my OLED devices look like puke now.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Uh huh, and Apple develops the OS and their Phones so they tightly integrated. Must be nice to buy a Android-based phone knowing that it only works as good as Google wants the OS to be without any personal dedication to the phone it's installed on, so having "great specs" mean NADA when the OS is the control tower. Oh that actually goes for Samsung as well. The success of their phones are 100% dependent upon Google. That must be why the new S6 phones aren't selling well. :)

Last edited:

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Do we know whether they've made the jump to OLED yet? Apple usually are industry leader when it comes to displays but they have festered since the iPhone 5 and other phone screens have taken the top spot in terms of good quality image reproduction.

Do please cite your sources on this subject.

Sure, there are a lot of different factors to consider in terms of display quality, but color accuracy is pretty much as good as it gets on a smartphone in case of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

Take a trip to the nearest store that had OLED equipped smartphones on display for more than a month and consider the burn-in on those. No matter the manufacturer, there's always something "left over" on the display after a longer time.
It's still not the cost-efficiency argument that keeps the LED backlit LCD market going, it's the longevity and accuracy that make OLED a no-go when it comes to pro-oriented display solutions.

OLED is making strides to become the go to solution when it comes to consumer electronics, but it's still not there for pros or any application that would require accuracy.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
My concern with OLED is burn-in, which has happened to ALL of my Android phones, including the ones that had displays that the manufacturer, and the net, and forum users said would not. With the iPhone, this would be a huge "do not buy" red flag for me, as there is no message notification LED, requiring that I leave the display on all the time while plugged in, so I don't miss messages. Combined with the color shift over the course of the year in all OLED displays, from blue to yellow, the forum here would be a cluster for years, of never-ending threads about OLED issues. I have LCD devices over 10 years old that still look as good as when they were new. ALL of my OLED devices look like puke now.

This and a 100 times this!

It's been 8 years since Sony released their first teeny tiny OLED TV and the tech still isn't there to offer a solid solution for a TV that would hold up to more than the average washing machine life-cycle.

My partner just melts when we pass the curved OLED screens at the store, my reaction is lukewarm to say the least.
I get hives at the thought of a TV that doesn't last 5+ years of good use.

I still have a 30" Philips LCD TV that I paid an arm, a leg, and good portion of my liver for back in 2004. Sure, it doesn't even have HDMI and requires a separate box to receive DTV, but it does its part at my other house where I just stay for the weekends.

My one and only trip to OLED-ville was with the Galaxy S2 - yellow tint, terrible color reproduction and battery life.

It's been years since that, but today's OLED screens still have the same issues, albeit to a lesser extent, than those of yore.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.