Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Has anyone seen the "HTC desire" yet?

It's basically a Nexus one with flash 10.1 support, an optical trackpad instead of trackball, and the HTC sense UI that was seen in the Hero (but with added benefits)... Apple is going to have to pull something special out the bag to stop me from getting that :D

HTC created the Nexus One, so they reserve the rights to reuse its hardware... which means it will have the same screen, which has excellent reviews.

HTC Desire

I have to say, it looks really impressive. I just wish that there would have been some indication of when it will come to North America.

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I said the droid, not all android phones collectively. There are over a dozen phones on android, so android phones have an advantage number-wise. If you compare individual android phones, like the droid, none have sold as well as any iPhone

But isn't it the point of large portfolio of phones that you don't need to sell the same phone to everybody? Comparing iPhone to just a single phone is a fail imo, because Apple is the only manufacturer that sells just one phone and only yearly upgrades.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I used the iPhone OS for ages, and I think it's a brilliant OS, but there are some restrictions that annoyed me to the point where I sold it. I can't live without multitasking or flash. Other missing features at the time were also MMS, forwarding/deleting messages and a few others.

lol. :rolleyes:

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I think the next iPhone coupled along with iPhone OS 4.0 is going to blow the tech community away, making all these 'competitors' seem irrelevant.

The phone looks nice, but I'm just not huge on HTCs inability to make their phones look any different from each other, aesthetically.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I buy a total package. That's why my desk in inundated with Apple product. The 3GS has superior graphics despite being underclocked 600MHz because GFX on CPU socket is superior. Battery life is better. Multitasking maintains that battery life.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
sorry dude. Android (and WinMo7) has been progressing toward very specific hardware specs and arrangements for their upcoming phones. what you have here is something that will be incompatible and forgotten probably by the end of summer. like...the HTC HD, Bravo, Hero, HD2, Tilt, TouchPro, blah blah blah.

welcome to a world where phone hardware will eventually be pretty similar. what then, will people like you, use to compare penis sizes?

Erm...hello???

3.7" AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.
5MP camera which shoots HD video + LED flash.
802.11n support.
More than twice the RAM of the 3GS.
1GHz snapdragon processor.
Multitasking.
Widgets.
Unobtrusive notifications (sliding tray that you drag down from top left hand corner of screen).
Integration with your social networking websites.

iPhone who? :eek:

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You should try Desire who:)
let's be realistic, it might look good on paper and on the spec sheet but it won't even make the iPhone flinch....

sounds kinda like the droid, which hasnt been much competition to the iPhone

The difference is, this thing isn't running stock Android..it's running the amazing sense UI, but this time it has the hardware to run it well.

I'm not saying it's going to "beat" the iPhone, because the iPhone is popular because of its popularity, if that makes sense. Even when better phones come out, people go with iPhone because of its reputation.. but I'm saying it's a serious competitor, FEATURE wise.

According to this, it doesn't appear to support the "American" WCDMA bands. Is there another version available (I can't find it on the HTC US or NZ sites)?

No, it's unlikely to come to America any time soon - if it all. Us Europeans are getting it in April.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
No, it's unlikely to come to America any time soon - if it all. Us Europeans are getting it in April.

There seem to be very few Android phones running at 850 MHz! My operator currently doesn't have any Android devices but has announced that at least one will be available soon. I wonder what's coming :)

Edit: Apparently the Desire is coming to Australia soon, so it'll be usable in NZ too.

Poat84

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
iphone will always be better. No such thing as an iphone killer, each year Apple comes out with something new and other phone companies want the same feature.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think the next iPhone coupled along with iPhone OS 4.0 is going to blow the tech community away, making all these 'competitors' seem irrelevant.

The phone looks nice, but I'm just not huge on HTCs inability to make their phones look any different from each other, aesthetically.

Why do people keep saying that but when you look at the facts and the history of the previous 2 iPhone OS updates it shows other wise.

Orginal iPhone 1.0. That blew people away not going to argue that.

iPhone 2.0 and 3.0 lets look at them
Hardware updates (keeping pace with the times so not doing anything special )
Added in missing features that should of been there since iPhone 1.0. Things like Video recording, MMS, Voice controls, copy paste,. Things that were years late.

The biggest thing apple added as the app store.

What makes people think that 4.0 will be any different. Releasing iPhone on other carriers would be big not not impressive. If they add in multiasking that would be another feature over 2 years late.

I just want to know what makes people think that it will be a WOW thing. Hardware updates and adding in features that are already late is not Wow.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
iphone will always be better. No such thing as an iphone killer, each year Apple comes out with something new and other phone companies want the same feature.

What was so new from Apple last year? That's why I didn't get a 3GS, waiting to see what they offer this year. I think there will be a big improvement in this years model, we'll see in June/July.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY

We are on the second revision from the original iPhone and we have basically the same phone that was released back in July 07. Apple has come out with radically new products but the iPhone has remained pretty much the same. The competition is here and Apple better step up their game. Adding an "S" or any other letter to the name isn't going to be enough this year. The iPhone needs a serious hardware and software upgrade.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
We are on the second revision from the original iPhone and we have basically the same phone that was released back in July 07. Apple has come out with radically new products but the iPhone has remained pretty much the same. The competition is here and Apple better step up their game. Adding an "S" or any other letter to the name isn't going to be enough this year. The iPhone needs a serious hardware and software upgrade.

Yes, if there's an iPhone killer out there, it's the iPhone.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
There seem to be very few Android phones running at 850 MHz! My operator currently doesn't have any Android devices but has announced that at least one will be available soon. I wonder what's coming :)

Edit: Apparently the Desire is coming to Australia soon, so it'll be usable in NZ too.

You're right - Telstra is getting it in April.

The first iPhone was revolutionary and by far the best phone of its time, and is partially the reason all of these great new phones are coming out now, but now Apple is lagging behind. What has it added lately that's been unique to the iPhone? It was beaten to the mark with GPS, it was beaten to the mark with a digital compass, and it has probably been beaten to the mark with whatever it adds this year.

HD video recording? Been done.
OLED screen? Been done.
Multitasking? Done.
64GB? Done (sort of - Nokia N97 has 32GB built in + microSD slot, which can add another 32GB).

Don't say "but apple does it best" - that doesn't matter. 2 years is a long time to wait for something as simple as copy & paste no matter how well they do it.

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Apple changed the whole entire game in one fell swoop once before, so if any company in the world deserves the benefit of the doubt it's Apple. And because this is looking to be their most serious update in a long time I think you're being a little hasty in concluding that it will be just enough to catch up, and not offer anything else.

They've done it more than once before so a game changer could happen when it's unveiled. If not then people will be critical, but I think people are getting a little overexcited about all the new tech on other phones now and are losing some perspective.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Apple changed the whole entire game in one fell swoop once before, so if any company in the world deserves the benefit of the doubt it's Apple. And because this is looking to be their most serious update in a long time I think you're being a little hasty in concluding that it will be just enough to catch up, and not offer anything else.

They've done it more than once before so a game changer could happen when it's unveiled. If not then people will be critical, but I think people are getting a little overexcited about all the new tech on other phones now and are losing some perspective.

The iPhone set such a high standard, but the last two iPhone's have been letdowns when you consider the masterpiece that was the first iPhone.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
The desire, looks very laggy. Glitchy. Ehhh it would be good if those parts of it were fixed.

ichrisers

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
looks are good :)

It looks very cool im considering it. It has a lot of the things an iphone cant do and its rumored to go on the verizon network :}

i-c :apple:

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Apple is going to have to pull something special out the bag to stop me from getting that :D

I am feeling the same, these latest and upcoming Android phones are piquing my interest. The iPhone OS seems stale to me and I really hope that they have something to show in March, similar to how they previewed the new OS last year.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
The iPhone set such a high standard, but the last two iPhone's have been letdowns when you consider the masterpiece that was the first iPhone.

I wouldn't call them "letdowns", they weren't amazing, but they both added things that the first didn't, like 3G, GPS, and video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.