More MacBook and nVidia Rumors

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Aranince, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

2. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

So nVidia integrated or nVidia dedicated?

Either would be a huge improvement, though of course I totally prefer dedicated.

4. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

integrated most probably... although i also wish for what u hope for :D

5. Desamell Guest

If dedicated I think they will put a 128MB Dedicated in there i expect nothing more...:apple::apple::apple::apple:

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It would be a powerful integrated GPU on the chipset with the option to have dedicated VRAM as well.

7. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Yes, i agree, but think about this, they still have to keep the MBP ahead of the Macbook. So, when they say that they will add chipsets to the MB, i think it will be the integrated "Discreet" graphics. Doubtless, it's still a MASSIVE upgrade to the power of such a machine! - and graphics are the only thing keeping me away from a Macbook... and there is no way i can afford a macbook pro.

Still, another reason they will be discreet is the fact that the macbook has a 1 inch form factor, and with only a 13" scren, and body size, there's not much space there for a full out dedicated card... and then there's the cooling issue... how will they cool it? - i mean look at it this way, if rumors are true, then the intel IGP X3100 generates a LOT of heat... more than an 8400m GS. but, if they used a 9000 series card/chipset, we would run into some serious problems with the heating!

i think we will see something along the lines of an 8400 to an 8600 card/chipset (the 8600 is one of the coolest running chipset from Nvidia - and is decently energy efficient).

8. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I really don't think that Apple will put a dedicated card on the MacBook.

9. kabunaru Guest

I think Apple will put an hybrid integrated/dedicated video card on the MacBook. :p

10. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

An Nvidia IGP isn't an 8 or 9 series but it's a hell of a lot better than the GMA. Plus the OS X drives for the GMA are crap.

I doubt this hurts MBP much.

11. kabunaru Guest

Why do you assume that the drivers for the MacBook NVidia video card are also crap? :confused:

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The nVidia MCP79 IGP is something along the lines of an 8400M on the chipset.

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

He is saying that the OSX drivers for the GMA3100 are crap because the Windows drivers are better.....

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

It doesn't necessarily have to be a decision to be one of the other.

Sony VAIO Z Series has hybrid graphics, which means you can choose integrated when you want the battery life and dedicated when you want the performance.

15. kabunaru Guest

That would be the best choice for the MacBook.

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Oh? Well then, what the heck is going to make people buy a MBP now? Does this mean we finally get a highend card in the Pro?

I think screen size can only account for so much. Unless they're going to the IGP in the Pro to make it THINNER.

17. kabunaru Guest

Unless the MacBook Pro get an high-end video card, then expect the MacBook Pro to be cannibalised by the MacBook. :D

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

And I for one, would love to see the MBP sales cannibalized. The MBP is a MB with a larger screen and a dedicated GPU. And yet it costs $1000 extra just for those two simple things! :rolleyes:

19. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Maybe they're ;). I'd say hybrid solution would be better for MBP (to get more battery life if that's what you need at the moment). Also there's a small issue of integrated graphics sharing system's RAM, meaning not only less RAM for both, but also slower access.

Isn't 'discrete' another term for dedicated graphics?

20. kabunaru Guest

Agreed.
    Seriously, who is going to buy an MacBook Pro now that the MacBook would have dedicated video card and would be aluminium also? The MacBook Pro would be a crime unless they lower the price of the MacBook Pros.

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The loss of money from people buying Macbooks over Macbook Pro's would easily be recouped, remember the Macbook outsells the Macbook Pro 10/1.

22. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Agreed. That's why I'd like to see a 12", 15", and 17" series of aluminum Macbooks, that are available online with custom BTO options, as well as standard models that are in stores. The "Pro" means a larger screen and dedicated graphics, and that doesn't seem very "Pro" to me. The "Pro" line should be dropped.

23. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

64MB would be fine with me: i just need enough specs to play CoD4!!!

24. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

25. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Also, has anyone though about how much better the MB's would be if they were just 0.3 inches thicker, like the iBook G4's? Those had dedicated graphics, and good at that. And they didn't get hot like the Macbooks do.

I think Apple made a big mistake when they went to "thinner". They made it hotter, with less specs, all for a little "thinness".