More on PowerMacs at NAB?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Following tentative Page 2 Rumors of PowerMac G5s to be announced at the National Association of Broadcasters, Think Secret confirms that Apple is planning on introducing new PowerMacs at NAB.

Unfortunately, details are slim in the new report, so only the hint of upcoming PowerMac revisions are provided.

The previous unconfirmed Page 2 report hinted at 2GHz-3GHz 970MP based PowerMacs with significant under the hood enhancements -- but should be viewed as unconfirmed specs.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I think "confirmed" is too strong of a word; ThinkSecret seems fairly uncertain about that publication. Anyway, I have been having great luck this week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! :D

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
I think "confirmed" is too strong of a word; ThinkSecret seems fairly uncertain about that publication. Anyway, I have been having great luck this week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! :D
So far the folks in the rumor business have been coming up dry with good solid specs and dates.

I would not be surprised to see these PM updates next week since they have been a long time coming. Now that Tiger news is officially out which none of the sites had the courage to report prior to the official announcement, they have build up a little courage and announced the updates for next week.

All I want to see is a 3 ghz system with faster RAM and a kick ass graphics card. This is the only way I can justify Tiger.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
are the 970MP's dual core?

has anyone seen the reviews on the Pentium D, and Pentium Extreme Edition (both dual core)

i must say they are quite impressive

cosmoed

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Hopefully they will talk about the iMac/eMac/iBook updates...

I can't afford a FREAKING pm. heh... sorry, I am deep in the apple waiting game so I am almost at my breaking point.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I'll bet this rumor turns out to be true. High Definition video work demands more than today's dual 2.5GHz PM G5 has to offer.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Faster CPU?
Better graphics card?
More base RAM?
Blu-Ray?

Gimmi-gimmi-gimmi!

I was right to wait and see what was coming out at NAB, I'm so exited I could puke! :D

On order: 1X life. :rolleyes:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Unfortunatly the report says no G5 PB this year. Can it be that the update late Jan will be the only PB update this year ? That we have to wait for new PBs until Jan 06 ? I don't hope so. But lately it looks like the update cycles are getting longer and longer and waiting about a year for new models is nothing special.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Macrumors said:
Following tentative Page 2 Rumors of PowerMac G5s to be announced at the National Association of Broadcasters, Think Secret confirms that Apple is planning on introducing new PowerMacs at NAB.

Unfortunately, details are slim in the new report, so only the hint of upcoming PowerMac revisions are provided.

The previous unconfirmed Page 2 report hinted at 2GHz-3GHz 970MP based PowerMacs with significant under the hood enhancements -- but should be viewed as unconfirmed specs.
Okay lemme get this straight...
Tiger and PowerMacs BOTH this month?
What is Steve saving for June?

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
G.Kirby said:
Faster CPU?
Better graphics card?
More base RAM?
Blu-Ray?
For the next revision, yes, yes, probably, no. Blu-ray prototypes aren't due to be shown off for a while yet; there's no way there's a shipping product. Well, unless it'll be another year before the next PowerMac bump. Heh heh.

Apple needs to make me want a new computer before I'll buy one, and they have quite a ways to go before that!

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
CmdrLaForge said:
Unfortunatly the report says no G5 PB this year. Can it be that the update late Jan will be the only PB update this year ? That we have to wait for new PBs until Jan 06 ? I don't hope so. But lately it looks like the update cycles are getting longer and longer and waiting about a year for new models is nothing special.
Ya it also seems to be that the updates are also nothing special. Come on Apple... you need to step it up! I will work for you when I get out of college!!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
GFLPraxis said:
Maybe nothing! WWDC isn't a tradeshow, Apple doesn't have very much pressure to make big product releases there. Hopefully there will be something big left, but don't be too surprised if there isn't.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
GFLPraxis said:
I suspect (and have stated so elsewhere) that the "One More Thing"™ at this years WWDC will be something that may have been talked about in rumors briefly but is not really expected to be announced. And no I have no clue which it might be, this is just the feeling I have.

Freebart

macrumors member
May 14, 2003

GFLPraxis said:
The announcement that the first dual-core machines will be shipping in July.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
CmdrLaForge said:
Which leaves what for WWDC in June and MacWorld Paris in September? Maybe the two new hardware products that AppleInsider wrote about last week, but I still can't imagine what they would be.

If PMs update at NAM, I think all of the computers will have been updated in the last six months except for the iMac. (Right?)

BOOMBA

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2001
Yo Jeff! Can we get some confirmation on this?

What's Macenstein saying?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Very cool.
I'm hoping to buy a top of the line dual-processor, dual-core machine.
Though if I have to, I'll buy a lowly dual-processor 970GX. lol

Why does Doofy need a top-of-the-line machine? He doesn't. He simply has saved up enough for one and that's the sole reason. Doofy wants stupid power to last over the next half-decade or so, since saving for the next computer will be another long, drawn out process.

:D

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
GFLPraxis said:
Well if we follow Apple's pattern of releasing products, in June he will say that the new PowerMacs announced in April, are now in stock. :D

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Would they announce new PM's right after they have redesigned their home page to promote Tiger release on the 29th? I have a feeling no. It looks like June - or at least my gut is telling me that.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The news of a new Power Mac update is very exciting. Hopefully it will be the long awaited dual core. Apple also needs to do a better job with shipping dates this time.