Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by geerlingguy
Ha ha ha!

You're kidding... Right?

I was trying to be light hearted in a dour dry English humourless kind of way. From reading this thread it seems that those pretty young things who used to promote lipsmacking Pepsi when I was a kid grew up into 250lb toothless wobblers. But hopefully they will spend their last days of short-breathed obesity slumped in front of a Mac, their waistlines vibrating in time to some iTunes freebies.

singletrack

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by choogheem

My beers of choice - I'd say Bass Ale, Guinness stout, New Castle Nut Brown Ale or a Summit India Pale Ale.

That's 'Newcastle', one word. And it's just 'Brown Ale'. There's no nuts in it. We commonly call it 'Dog' in the UK

a) because it's as rough as sin
b) as in 'just off out to walk the dog, pet'

All the beers you mention are kind of nasty mass produced piss as UK beers go. Sorry to shatter your illusions.

fluidinclusion

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Green Bay, Wisconsin USA
217 lb wobbler

I'm a 217 pound wobbler, down from 223 lbs. As far as I can tell, you all need to get off your high horses (most of you) and let it go. I love McDonalds, but I only eat it once every 1-2 weeks. I drink soda every day. Dropped 5 pounds since switching to diet.

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
Re: 217 lb wobbler

Originally posted by fluidinclusion
I'm a 217 pound wobbler, down from 223 lbs. As far as I can tell, you all need to get off your high horses (most of you) and let it go. I love McDonalds, but I only eat it once every 1-2 weeks. I drink soda every day. Dropped 5 pounds since switching to diet.

I wish you all the best with your weightloss.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by the_dalex
When did Apple become responsible for what we eat or drink?

Last I checked, I'm the only person who decides what goes down my gullet. I'm sick of people signing away their responsibility and freedoms in order to blame companies for personal health issues. Grow a backbone, and make sure your children do the same. Do the world a favor.

Amen! Took the words right out of my mouth. Lack of personal responsibility is one of the biggest problems we face as a nation. Everyone wants to blame or sue somebody. Grow up!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by Hector
mc donalds sickens me my opinion of apple will plumit if this is true

Your opinion may plummet but my stock should do the opposite.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Re: Re: Guns don't kill people ...

Originally posted by greenstork
As for food, I think you're just dead wrong. Poor people in this country have an extremely tough time eating healthy. Food stamps aren't offered for healthy food, only dense fatty food. In addition, when you're working multiple jobs, it becomes increasingly difficult to take the time to prepare a meal (the healthy alternative), and people turn to quick and easy fast food.

Take a moment to look down from atop your perch to understand that individuals are part of larger institutions, which bear a great influence on their decisions. We live in a society, like it or not, and the poor have fewer food choices in that society.

Sorry for the rant, but that needed to be said.

Food stamps aren't offered for healthy foods? What the heck does that mean? You use food stamps to buy food items in a grocery store. Last I looked, there were aisles full of healthy choices.

I see many people eating healthy in my company. They can buy it in the diner in the building or bring it from home.

Key word is choice, people have it and must takek responsibility for them- good and bad.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by WishIWasntHere
Exactly! ... kind of

I will add that, 'macrumors.com' implies "Macintosh rumors"; not "Apple Computer, Inc. rumors". I'm looking for information about the Macintosh (specifically a G5 PowerBook someday) and I have to now wade through more and more postings about iPods and iTunes. When a G5 PowerBook is ever introduced (more likely the 2nd generation of them) or perhaps a 2nd generation G5 Power Mac, then I will buy a Macintosh. Until then, I will use my old PC and my wife's iMac (which I selected and purchased for her) and keep browsing macrumors.com for Macintosh news (er.. rumors).

I do appreciate this web site!

Lighten up, Francis. This is Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About. You do not need to wade through more and more posts, simply select those whose descrition appeal to what you are looking for. What the hell did you expect to find in a thread with Pepsi in the title? Geesh.

As for your name, me too!

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Originally posted by uv23
Disclaimer: I'm aware that the following comes off as self-righteous, and business is business, but it comes from the heart so save your flames.

Pepsi? McDonalds? Big Gulps? What's next, tobbaco companies? Apple is centering themselves directly in the heart of fat America. Very sad to see.

The earlier comment about convincing people to switch to pepsi from bottled water is especially disturbing.

Ugh...

Man, you guys seem to be moaning so much about how Apple has lost its "values" and whatnot... But to be honest, who cares? Apple is still dwindling, and they can stick firm to their supposed values, or start to join the rest of the world by opening up a little bit. Personally, I applaud this move by Apple, and hope that they see more benefit to marketing more for the masses (that's not to say I want to see them build crappy products).

Apple is a business first, and business is about making money, not about making you feel happy.

Wizzlewuzzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
McMusic?

Look, I think to say that its up to individuals to govern their consumption of soda and junk food is about as reckless as saying that Iraq can see to themselves on what type of weapons they should have stock-piled. Harsh, but true. Childeren do not have the capacity to know what is good or not.
Take a good read of the recent hit book "Fast Food Nation" and you will all see what filth Apple has attached itself too. It's quite un-ethical, and extremely sad to see someone like Jobs, with such great morals and expectations, jump on the wagon with the Fast Food Industry.
Shame Apple, Shame.
As for "I'm a 217 pound wobbler, down from 223 lbs. As far as I can tell, you all need to get off your high horses (most of you) and let it go. I love McDonalds, but I only eat it once every 1-2 weeks. I drink soda every day. Dropped 5 pounds since switching to diet., well good for you. But I'm not sure if "diet pepsi" is included in the iTunes promo.

krykert

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Re: Dear, oh dear...

Originally posted by Hoky
OT (couldn't resist):
In fact, all the beer made in America is piss, if you ask me.

Hey, even Brooklyn Lager? That's all I'll drink. If there's nothing else I guess I'd have a Molson.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Sorry if someone already posted this question, but I skimmed through the thread (it quickly warped into a discussion about health food, obesity and preference in beer, so I'll admit I skipped a bit), but I was wondering:

Are there only 100 million winning game pieces? Because Steve claimed Pepsi was manufacturing 300 mill. bottles, with 1 in 3 odds of winning, which would imply that there are 100 million winning bottles out there. However, with the added 7-11 pieces, and the pieces that are mailed out, wouldn't there end up being less bottles, or lower odds?

Not that big of a deal, but it got me confused. :confused:

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Originally posted by Foxer
I bought a single bottle (98 cents) from one of the check-out coolers at my local Wal-Mart on Saturday. A winner! I made 1 cent in the transaction. Man, Pepsi is awful! Wish it were Coke products. Or that there were 7-11's in this state....

I hear ya. I prefer coke my self. Around here they haven't started the promotion yet... I already tried twice, but they were both "normal" pepsis'

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
itunes free game piece?

is it just me, but did anyone else notice the apple commerical on there website.. the fine print at the end of the commerical says:
in the pepsi ad... it states:
No Purchase Necessary. Void where prohibited. Visit iTunes.com for free game piece. ????

anyone able to find the free game piece at itunes.com??

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Re: itunes free game piece?

Originally posted by tYNS
is it just me, but did anyone else notice the apple commerical on there website.. the fine print at the end of the commerical says:
in the pepsi ad... it states:
No Purchase Necessary. Void where prohibited. Visit iTunes.com for free game piece. ????

anyone able to find the free game piece at itunes.com??

Yeah, I noticed that too. I found something on apples website about how to get a free game peice :

Q: How do I get a game piece without making a purchase?

A: To receive one free game piece without purchase, and a copy of the official rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before March 31st, 2004, to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Limit one free game piece per stamped outer envelope. Residents of Vermont can omit return postage.

Here is the link on apples website.. http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/faq.html

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
Originally posted by Omad0n
Both Heineken and Bud are cr*p azz beers. Try anything from New Belgium or Odells, and you'll see what I mean. Anyone here heard of fat tire?

Also the promotion ideas sound really great, can't wait till I run into a bottle or 2 of free caps. And if they do McDonald's too...

Fat Tire is a FINE beer! Especially good because you can only get it out West, in the Mountain states... Sierra Nevada is my personal favorite, but Fat Tire is a close second...

Shoot, if Apple went with free tunes on caps of quality brew, I'd have a fat music collection before long. :)

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Originally posted by Fukui
How many teens buy grapfruits and ganola breads on a daily basis? I think you can blame the school system in america for making children obese (coke, pepsi, pizza hut etc in chool cafeterias), I'm sure that if odwalla juice was as popular with younger generation, they would partner, but are they as "cool?" No.

it might help if Odwalla didn't cost twice as much as the junk :rolleyes: :mad:

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
McDonalds? That might work in the US but in Europe that would be almost like hiding tokens in heaps of dog poo...

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Re: Free Music

Originally posted by Gravesland
Searching hi and low for Pepsi Bottles here in Music City USA (Nashville, TN) and coming up with squat.

They are plentiful in the gas stations in Houghton Michigan. I got two winners in the first two bottles I purchased. I have one more to go because I thought that buying three would get me one!

Charmed drinker I guess!!!

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Re: Re: itunes free game piece?

Originally posted by latergator116
Yeah, I noticed that too. I found something on apples website about how to get a free game peice :

Q: How do I get a game piece without making a purchase?

A: To receive one free game piece without purchase, and a copy of the official rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before March 31st, 2004, to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Limit one free game piece per stamped outer envelope. Residents of Vermont can omit return postage.

Here is the link on apples website.. http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/faq.html

But as has been pointed out elsewhere, unless you just do it for fun, it's not worth it. It costs 37 cents to send the request, and 37 cents for the self-addressed stamped envelope you have to include.

So 74 cents (plus the cost of the envelopes) for only a 1-in-3 chance at a prize worth 99 cents.

Obviously, they're only doing this because by law they have to offer free game pieces, even if the top prize is only 99 cents. I guess lawmakers didn't see iTunes coming! :)

Wizzlewuzzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
I cannot believe your attitude!

Originally posted by Count Blah
Time for all the self righteous "I would never drink that sugar water" and "I would never eat that chemically altered faux meat at McDonalds" posts.

Face it people, this promotion is not for you, it's for the rest of the people - 99.9999% of the population.

Sorry, just had to vent. Since I see this 'holier than thou' crap all the time in all Mac forums.

Your a rite idiot mate. A rite idiot.

squatch

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Got'em in DFW!

I just ran by the local Walgreens here in Fort Worth and came across the iTunes bottles. There weren't many (guess people are loving this!) but I was a winner none the less in the ones I picked up! :)

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by IndyGopher
While I think it is great to see as many outlets and avenues for this promotion as possible, I think the best part of this is the reasonable hope that there will finally be an end to the mewling whines of "why not Mountain Dew?" from the people who don't understand what a sales promotion is intended to do.

(To clarify, the demographic Pepsi is trying to convert already buys Mountain Dew. This is not a reward for buying what you already buy, it's supposed to get people to switch to Pepsi from other drinks.. Coke, Bottled Water, bottled ice coffee, etc. In short, God forbid, it's not all about YOU)

You DO know pepsi owns mountain dew, sierra mist, AND a handful of other companies.

I think they also own part (or whole) the "yum!" franchising chains == KFC, pizza hut, taco bell.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
Re: Re: Dear, oh dear...

Originally posted by krykert
Hey, even Brooklyn Lager?

Amen my friend, amen. Brooklyn Lager, Pale Ale etc. is by far my favorite beer-Yum Yum, but it does get expensive for a pint depending on where you go-but that is my 6pk of choice. in 2nd - Sam Adams Light....

Although I originally posted about Bud, I was trying to accentuate the fact that Heineken sucks so bad that I consider Bud a phenomenonal thirst quencher compared to it-lighten up folks-I'll take Bud over Bass anyday. You can taste the preservatives and chemicals in Bass-it's nasty. (insert throwing up smilies here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.