More RAW Camera Support Coming

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Though perhaps obvious, it is reassuring to know that Apple is very aware of the need for RAW support in unsupported cameras.

Joe Schorr, Sr. Product Line Manager of Photo Applications at Apple reassured customers in this thread:
As I'm sure many of you know, it's not Apple's policy to provide a public "ETA" on future releases, so I can't post anything like a timetable for when support for the newest RAW camera formats will become available.

But I can tell you this. We at Apple are ACUTELY aware of the pressing need to get support for the newest round of camera into your hands as soon as possible. This is a top priority. We have members of our own team using these cameras, so you can imagine how interested we are in seeing this support integrated into the Mac OS and our photo applications!

We fully intent to give our customers what they need in this regard.

Thanks!

Joe Schorr
Sr. Product Line Manager, Photo Applications
Apple

Article Link

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Well then hop to it :)

I know it would be a PITA, but rather than try and release RAW support for 50 cameras all at once, why not break it down? ie if they already have 25 done, push them out the door rather than make people continue to wait while the other 25 are finished.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I wonder if this will be for Apeture only or at first or if they will supply support for both Apeture and iPhoto simultaneously.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I think the support gets added to OS X itself, so not only iPhoto and Aperture, but all apps that make use of QuickTime and/or Core Image get support.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We have members of our own team using these cameras, so you can imagine how interested we are in seeing this support integrated into the Mac OS and our photo applications!
Is Joe Schorr saying that they develop products based on what the development team members happen to want, rather than based on what we the customers want? :eek: At least that saves money on market research! :)

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
How hard can it be when Adobe can have support before the cameras come out...I need support my my D300!!!

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I wonder if this will be for Apeture only or at first or if they will supply support for both Apeture and iPhoto simultaneously.
Isn't at the OS level?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)

spazzcat said:

Isn't at the OS level?
I hope so but don't know. After giving it more thought it makes sense that it would be with the OS but I just don't know.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
NAB is coming so they will need to add even more RAW support as new camera models are being anounced allmost daily (pre NAB).

I assume Apple will also update Aperture at NAB.

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
NAB is coming so they will need to add even more RAW support as new camera models are being anounced allmost daily (pre NAB).

I assume Apple will also update Aperture at NAB.
Do you mean PMA?

According to the web, CoreImage is being updated with D3/D300 support on 10.5.2. Despite his pronouncement, if they don't add camera support soon, I'm looking for new software.

P6

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Do you mean PMA?

According to the web, CoreImage is being updated with D3/D300 support on 10.5.2. Despite his pronouncement, if they don't add camera support soon, I'm looking for new software.

P6
I'm in the same boat...It's really frustrating that it takes Apple so long with raw support.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Is there a spot somewhere that we can see what cameras are already supported in case our need is immediate? Macrumors.com would be best of course.

Is there a list of say the top 20 cameras "on the verge" of support? That is needed. I have a video file from a HD camera from Sony that is not supported and not viewable.

Oh, and Steve, as a defacto electronics hardware and software leader, please tell those camera companies in a very public way what file format(s) to use. Use your bully-pulpit. Spend that RDF!

Rocketman

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Is there a spot somewhere that we can see what cameras are already supported in case our need is immediate? Macrumors.com would be best of course.

Is there a list of say the top 20 cameras "on the verge" of support? That is needed. I have a video file from a HD camera from Sony that is not supported and not viewable.

Oh, and Steve, as a defacto electronics hardware and software leader, please tell those camera companies in a very public way what file format(s) to use. Use your bully-pulpit. Spend that RDF!

Rocketman
Tech specs for aperture has a link if I'm not mistaken.

Is your camera a digital still camera or an HD videocam? It's difficult to understand from your post. If it is a videocam, then Quicktime/ Quicktime Pro or iMovie/Final Cut Express/Final Cut Studio would have your solution.

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
There is no question that the format has to be supported by the OS. It is poor design decision in my opinion.

DNG is the closest "open" format, but it's more like Quicktime. It's just a wrapper around proprietary formats. Also, it is Adobe's which has competing applications to Apple.

Grrr. Where is my Camera support?

P6

Edit. Oh, I just remembered MS has a picture format they would loved to ram down everyones throat.

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Hope they will start to support the Hasselblad format as well. Had a customer coming in wanting to use Aperture but but his brand spanking new Hasselblad wasn't supported.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Do you mean PMA?

P6
PMA is in just a couple of days, and I'm hoping that 10.5.2 with support for additional RAW formats will be released by then. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a new version of Aperture.

Based on Joe Schorr's comment, it's impossible to tell if support for the Nikon D300/D3 has been held up for some technical reason or because Apple was waiting for the rest of 10.5.2 to be done. If it's the latter, Apple really needs to find some other way to release these.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The one I am referring to is not on the Aperture list you linked. :(

The camera that captured the HD motion image was a Sony HDR-CX7, which created a file of the form xxxxx.MTS. The file sizes measure in Gigabytes.

Quicktime Player 7.3.1 did not handle it.

The main problem being we like the camera so much we wil probably buy 4 of them and that's a lot of content to injest. It would be handy if we could simply import the files directly rather than "play" them real-time through the camera.

Rocketman

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
I gave up waiting for Apple's RAW support for the Fuji S7000 to surface and went the way of Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom... I note that OS X & Apple apps now support Fuji .raf files from the S7k, a camera which I've long since stopped using...

Apple need to work a little bit faster - I bought the camera a good year after it came out, in 2005, and it wasn't supported in Apple apps until the end of 2006, despite being a 3 year old model by that point - It's not like it was an unpopular model either. I suppose I should be thankful my Oly E500 is supported. After all, it's still under 3 years since release... :mad:

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

That is easy to answer. "both Apeture and iPhoto simultaneously." The software that handles RAW decoding is in Mac OS not Apeture or iPhoto. When that add the new camera not only will Apeture and iPhoto see it but so will Preview and quicklook and any other program that uses Core Image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.