Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And only in this subforum will you find comments not mentioning Apple in any way, get turned into a your typical Anti-Apple spin. ;)

Of course Apple is just as guilty of these types of shenanigans, but this thread isn't about Apple, is it? Try putting the comment in the proper context, and actually call it what it is---Samsung being the first to included some relatively new tech or features, but in their all too common fashion, half baking it.

I love wireless charging, wish all of my devices had it but this implementation diminishes the usability of my device so in my use case, it's not helpful.

I agree to some extent. I personally won't be buying this monitor. Love my Thunderbolt display too much ;)

And I actually prefer having a separate wireless charger because the one I have is lovely to use. It's a stand, and not a mat, so I can prop my phone up and still see messages as they come in and my device lights up. I can even use it while it's on the stand because it's positioned upright on a slight slant. It's really lovely.

I can't speak for everyone here or the OP, but I'm excited about this merely because it's another step toward more every-day things (ie. monitors, furniture, etc) that'll have wireless charging. And as the technology develops and spreads, we'll get it into even bigger and useful places. Cafes. Cars. Rooms. Entire homes, one day!

That's what's exciting about this, and not necessarily the actual Samsung monitor per se.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Never mind words like innovation or whatever. Let's not get bogged down with terms.

This is just simply cool technology. Anybody who uses wireless charging currently can tell you of its convenience and usefulness. Again, it isn't so much about not having to plug something in (though that is part of what makes it convenient); it's more about always topping off your devices' battery so that you're not in danger of running out.

Anyone who uses wireless charging can also tell you what it would mean if wireless charging can one day advances to WiFi-like prominence. It's already happening with furniture makers and, naturally, with tech makers. Heck, even Apple patented a form of wireless charging through their iMacs, where you just have to have your device nearby and it'll charge (or something like that). Look it up. It happened.

We're gonna get there and this is how it -- and technology in general -- gets there. In steps.

Also, if you don't care for wireless charging, for heaven's sake, you can still use the charging cable! At this point, wireless charging is an optional feature. Not mandatory. If you're uninterested, okay you're uninterested. Thanks for your input. If you don't have a device that can wirelessly charge, okay, continue to happily use the cable; your world isn't going to turn upside down.

For those that are interested, this is all very cool stuff. We shouldn't get bogged down with wanting to call something innovation. This day and age, that is a loaded word.

This is just cool stuff and a prelude of even cooler things to come.

Agree but why give Samsung a pass on a crappy implementation? This could've been so much better with a more thought out design. I'm glad Samsung does keep pushing he limits by introducing new functionality. I just wish some of it was better thought out.

UPDATE: Nevermind...already beat me to punch. ^^^^ :D

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Agree but why give Samsung a pass on a crappy implementation? This could've been so much better with a more thought out design. I'm glad Samsung does keep pushing he limits by introducing new functionality. I just wish some of it was better thought out.

UPDATE: Nevermind...already beat me to punch. ^^^^ :D

Well, I'd also add that I don't think it's crappy implementation per se. I honestly don't know where else they'd put it on the monitor. It's got to be a place where the device can rest, and the stand of the monitor is probably the most logical. I don't know where else you'd put it that is less crappy. And it's an added feature to their monitor lineup. Maybe new wireless charging users will want some sort of "all-in-one" package instead of having to have a 2nd thing on their table. It's neater for those that are looking for it.

I just happen to already have one and prefer the stand. ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Isn't it nice that certain features are optional?

Never mind that the iPhone can't do wireless charging anyway and since you've proclaimed you'll never own a non apple device, well, you don't really get to speak on the convenience or inconvenience of wireless charging. You can make an assumption it's inconvenient or you won't like it, sure, but you really don't know. It's one of those things that you won't get until you try it (ie. until Apple does it).

Maybe you'll come around when and if apple adds it one day. Or not! You might find you don't like it or continue to think it isn't worth it. Shrug. That's the beauty of choice; it's up to you, the individual user.

Too bad there currently is no choice on the iPhone when it comes to charging.

Car analogy is only apt if you're assuming nobody in the world will want those features and everyone -- literally everyone -- only wants a basic car. Obviously not true. I rather live in a world where people can get a basic car or a more advanced car depending on what they want. I rather live in a world with choice.

Your flawed analogy really reveals a certain pettiness and misunderstanding of how the concept of extra features work. The keyword is "extra".

Not a game changer like WiFi? Hm. Maybe. To be clear I wasn't saying it'll be a game changer like wifi per se; I was merely saying I want wireless charging to get as good as wifi. That is to say, be able to charge even further away from the actual wireless charging mechanism. Again, even apple is thinking about something similar with their imac patent.

But since we're speaking about wifi, let's imagine opponents of WiFi. What might they say back when WiFi was new and less prominent? Might they say, I rather save money by buying an affordable Ethernet cable and just connecting everybody. Why should I spend $60 dollars or more for a wireless router? Then if I have multiple rooms or a large house, I have to potentially buy an extender. Etc.

Sound familiar?

The day wireless charging becomes as provassive as WiFi, we'll see if you stick to your cables or not. What if you're traveling and you want to juice up at a cafe that has wireless charging? Is it easier to walk in and have it get going or is it easier to walk in and find a wall plug? You'll at least always have that choice if you insist on it. So guess you don't have to worry

Tl;Dr:
More power to you and your cables. No one is taking that away from you.
More power to you if you want to pay for this and it's offered. That was the point, this particular "innovation" is not for everyone.

My analogy is spot on and you turned this into " a when Apple comes out with it". shrug. Nothing to do with who does it. I can charge my phone from numerous locations and don't see the need for it in a monitor. Now, if this fits your use case you can pay the extra quid and buy it.

Your Ethernet cable analogy is flawed. It could take thousands to wire up a house vs spending hundreds in a wifi router. Not to mention using the iPad in a pool setting which you can't do without wifi except with a very long cable.

I like choice but I don't want to be forced to pay for what I don't want, which was said by a few posters, but now this concept seems to lost in walls of petty text.

Tl;dr: if you like wireless charging buy the expensive accessories. I'll pay the mfi 3 bucks a cable and charge from anywhere with my usb equipped electrical outlets.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Also for the non-iPhone users who brought up the iPhone not having wireless charging in a thread about Samsung monitors, it is actually possible. There are quite a few cases hitting the market that bridge the gap including the 'Aircharge' case which is rather slim. This thread can include all devices with wireless charging capabilities, it's surely not a versus thread. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Also for the non-iPhone users who brought up the iPhone not having wireless charging in a thread about Samsung monitors, it is actually possible. There are quite a few cases hitting the market that bridge the gap including the 'Aircharge' case which is rather slim. This thread can include all devices with wireless charging capabilities, it's surely not a versus thread. :)

Qualcomm might have figured out how to do wireless charging through metal. Apple should be very interested in this!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, I'd also add that I don't think it's crappy implementation per se. I honestly don't know where else they'd put it on the monitor. It's got to be a place where the device can rest, and the stand of the monitor is probably the most logical. I don't know where else you'd put it that is less crappy. And it's an added feature to their monitor lineup. Maybe new wireless charging users will want some sort of "all-in-one" package instead of having to have a 2nd thing on their table. It's neater for those that are looking for it.

I just happen to already have one and prefer the stand. ;)

The location is fine--it's the flat surface that I find problematic. There's plenty of room in integrate some sort of stand or inclined surface so that the phones rests somewhat upright and is thus still viewable and even usable without having to pick it up. Thats all I'm saying.

Alright, I've beat this horse to death, moving on. :D

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The location is fine--it's the flat surface that I find problematic. There's plenty of room in integrate some sort of stand or inclined surface so that the phones rests somewhat upright and is thus still viewable and even usable without having to pick it up. Thats all I'm saying.

Alright, I've beat this horse to death, moving on. :D

Yeah that'll be cool. Maybe second gen.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Qualcomm might have figured out how to do wireless charging through metal. Apple should be very interested in this!
They should definitely investigate it as it will surely be the future of charging phones and I prefer the metal over the glass of the 4S. One less thing to smash as I'm a clumsy fool and drop my phone at least twice a day! I'm sure the iPhone 7 or 7S will have WC. If it doesn't I won't lose sleep over it but I welcome it if it comes. It should be standard in the future. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
They should definitely investigate it as it will surely be the future of charging phones and I prefer the metal over the glass of the 4S. One less thing to smash as I'm a clumsy fool and drop my phone at least twice a day! I'm sure the iPhone 7 or 7S will have WC. If it doesn't I won't lose sleep over it but I welcome it if it comes. It should be standard in the future. :)

HTC should pay attention too! ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I looked up the aircharge, and while it is rather cool and if you are a gadget person you might like this, for the price I can have a cord charger in every place im ever going to be; including conference rooms at work.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Now this is cool, as this not only opens up the posibilty of an HTC One or iPhone with wireless charging, but now other OEMs have no excuse for not doing complete uni body phones.

Great, Note 5 hasn't even been announced yet and already I'm day dreaming about a possible all metallic Note 6.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I looked up the aircharge, and while it is rather cool and if you are a gadget person you might like this, for the price I can have a cord charger in every place im ever going to be; including conference rooms at work.
That's true at this stage but if you were inclined to want wireless charging it is a possibility, that was my only point. In future hopefully it'll be standard and the option is there. I don't mind using a cord at this moment in time.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's true at this stage but if you were inclined to want wireless charging it is a possibility, that was my only point. In future hopefully it'll be standard and the option is there. I don't mind using a cord at this moment in time.
If I had to pick a feature turbo-charge would be what I really want. Of course for wireless charging, having it charge as fast as turbo-charge will all the hardware you want for cheap, would make me jump on it.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Handy, but I think it would be even better if it held the phone up at an angle so I could see notifications on it, touch it if need be, etc.

I would take it a step further and say it would be neat if the phone to connect to the monitor via Bluetooth and notifications could pop up on the monitor.

Then have a button/key on the keyboard that switches the monitor, keyboard and mouse over to the phone. Kind of like an A/B switch in a way.

These features would be useful to someone like me who sits in front of two monitors all day long. But I understand that not everyone works this way.

Reactions: kdarling

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I would take it a step further and say it would be neat if the phone to connect to the monitor via Bluetooth and notifications could pop up on the monitor.

Then have a button/key on the keyboard that switches the monitor, keyboard and mouse over to the phone. Kind of like an A/B switch in a way.

These features would be useful to someone like me who sits in front of two monitors all day long. But I understand that not everyone works this way.

Look into Push Bullet. One of the best apps ever.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
And only in this subforum will you find comments not mentioning Apple in any way, get turned into a your typical Anti-Apple spin. ;)

Of course Apple is just as guilty of these types of shenanigans, but this thread isn't about Apple, is it? Try putting the comment in the proper context, and actually call it what it is---Samsung being the first to included some relatively new tech or features, but in their all too common fashion, half baking it. What'a the real world benefit? The consumer likely spends more money to have it integrated into the monitor but loses some functionality, all for what, to free up a USB port or power outlet?

I love wireless charging, wish all of my devices had it but this implementation diminishes the usability of my device so in my use case, it's not helpful.

Give it up, your bitterness for your device lacking the proper hardware for what you paid for it is unwarranted, as it was your choice to get said lacking hardware. Not sure why you're so bent on trying to convince anyone this effort is half baked. Don't worry, your device will one day have more relevant hardware for what you paid for it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day. Stay strong and get back to me in a few years. In the meantime, excuse me while I drink my juice, and lay my phone down to let it take a few sips of juice. So convenient it hurts.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014

Not sure if this is kinda what you mean, but
Samsung has had a feature to control your phone from the PC/Tablet for some years.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
It would be nice if there was some sort of stand at the base of the monitor so that I could see my phone while it's charging.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Give it up, your bitterness for your device lacking the proper hardware for what you paid for it is unwarranted, as it was your choice to get said lacking hardware. Not sure why you're so bent on trying to convince anyone this effort is half baked. Don't worry, your device will one day have more relevant hardware for what you paid for it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day. Stay strong and get back to me in a few years. In the meantime, excuse me while I drink my juice, and lay my phone down to let it take a few sips of juice. So convenient it hurts.

Thanks for proving my point. Moving on to more intellig...I mean, relevant comments. :rolleyes:

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Thanks for proving my point. Moving on to more intellig...I mean, relevant comments. :rolleyes:

The expected response. Thanks for proving my point again. The irony is strong with this one. :rolleyes:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Congratulations on ruining your own thread. The topic was interesting but became clear early on you were desperate to use it to bash Apple devices, regardless of how off topic that is when discussing wireless charging monitors. A big thumbs down

Reactions: tbayrgs and I7guy

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
More interesting advances from Samsung: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...CELL-sensor-buh-bye-protruding-camera_id72088

Samsung outs ultra slim 16 MP ISOCELL sensor, buh bye protruding camera

Though I wouldn't mind if they went the other way and just made the device slightly thicker to match the protruding camera which would mean a large battery.

Anyway, if they incorporate this into the S7, it should be interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.