Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More Screenshots from iPhone 2.0 Firmware

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Engadget has posted an extensive gallery of photos from the upcoming iPhone 2.0 Firmware. Several of the new features have been detailed before. A few highlights:

- No contact search
- Calculator supports sideways orientation (see photo above)
- New button in calendar view doesn't do anything yet (screenshot)
- App Store present, but doesn't work yet
- Wifi networks can be ordered in preference (screenshot)
- Multi-select in Mail to move/delete. (screenshot)

Apple is currently seeding version 1.2 Beta to enterprise beta testers and select iPhone developers. The final version will be renamed "2.0" and released in late June.

Article Link

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Cool...it would be great to have a full-featured calculator on the iPhone. How about to-dos though? That is a must-have to make this really work well as the mobile office for me (and everyone else methinks).

Comment

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Woot! Another excuse to pull out my iPhone in math class!:D

Any ideas on the new calendar button?

Comment

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Calculator supports sideways orientation

Is the 'keyboard' going to get this feature? please oh please oh please

Comment

W1LLk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
San Antonio
This is a cool feature, wish it was around back in those early collegiate days when I forgot a calculator and I could have busted out a cellphone with these features.

Comment

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
Calculator supports sideways orientation

Is the 'keyboard' going to get this feature? please oh please oh please

you wouldnt be able to see what your typing, it takes up to much roon, its fine on safari for a 1 line search but for an email?, the buttons are the same size just when there closer its quicker to get from one to another.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
More stuff....

Cool... more useful upgrades coming!

You know... this is where Apple is winning. We have Razr phones too (my iPhone is for work), but since I've had our Razr phones there was one update in December... that may have come out earlier than that, but how would I know that? I can only find out these things if I go hunting or go to the Verizon store with a problem and they tell me this... but to make a long story short, the update in December was a disaster! It changed things in a bad way and really didn't improve anything on the phone. At least noticeably.

So why is Apple winning here? Updates are easy to find (you're notified when you dock to your PC), and every update to date has brought something new and useful to the table. Not just some background fixes or changes.

Other phone makers need to take note or they are going to get their lunch eaten by outdated business models and poor service.

Just an observation. :)

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Why is a calculator screenshot used with these iPhone 2.0 stories?
I'm as happy as anyone that the calculator is catching up with the 1970's, but is that really the most exciting thing about this update? ;)

I'm certainly happy to see a scientific calculator. I hope we get the option of RPN* as well.

* RPN definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

With the SDK, you'll have your pick of RPN calculators.

Comment

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Ah, that expanded calculator looks nice. Combined with the Unit Converter, Google calculator-remake application I'm working on this will make the iPhone enough to handle any operations I (and hopefully lots of others, too!) need.

:D

Comment

MazMan007

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
mutli-delete

its a great idea to have multi delete in email. now whats so hard for them to do this in texts and call logs. who wants to erase an entire text conversation or you're whole log. they need features that ever cell phone comes with these days and then improve on that with features that only apple can have. the iphone shoul dhave the ability to forward texts or save an invidual one and not delete the entire message that could be weeks long. also the call log should be split between missed, received, and dialed and have the same option to erase individual calls and not the entire list.

i love my iphone but basic features like this are what apple should be paying more attention to first as im sure its pretty easy for them to create. also typing in portrait mode for texting would be amazing too.

im calling steve jobs right now.

Comment

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
Nice to see yet some more features coming soon. LOVE the email mass delete and move. Shows they are listening to users with these changes...BUT....by far one of, if not the biggest outcry, is for cut/copy/paste.....why is this taking so long?

Also, some type of keychain program would be great to remember passwords. Can't wait to see what people come up with on the new apps. Is it June yet??

Comment

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
fat finger disease

you wouldnt be able to see what your typing, it takes up to much roon, its fine on safari for a 1 line search but for an email?, the buttons are the same size just when there closer its quicker to get from one to another.

I saw a mockup up on someone's flickr account. It looked just mine to me. plus you could even squash them a litlle vertically.

Plus my fingers are festively plump from the years of manual labor and multiple sprains/breaks from sports. So any extra space is welcomed....at least give me a choice.

Comment

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Looks Great!

As for the people that want to be able to do everything sideways, I say give me the option to turn landscape mode OFF on everything!!! I can't stand it switching to landscape mode when I just want to lay in bed and surf the web, or have the iPhone down by my side while a webpage loads.

Comment

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I think there are higher priorities for improvements than a calculator.

How about video support, a2dp (or bluetooth stack in general), To-do and notes syncing (over the air with .mac, even .mac support), cut and paste, better caching in safari, local files and access, better handlng of on the go playlists in the iPod app, full keychain access to autofill websites (crucial for website reg of wifi sites) etc etc

I appreciate that not all that's gonna come right now but surely one of them could come ahead of a tweaked calc app. (All the above is possible on the current hardware btw).

Comment

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Cool... more useful upgrades coming!

You know... this is where Apple is winning. We have Razr phones too (my iPhone is for work), but since I've had our Razr phones there was one update in December... that may have come out earlier than that, but how would I know that? I can only find out these things if I go hunting or go to the Verizon store with a problem and they tell me this... but to make a long story short, the update in December was a disaster! It changed things in a bad way and really didn't improve anything on the phone. At least noticeably.

So why is Apple winning here? Updates are easy to find (you're notified when you dock to your PC), and every update to date has brought something new and useful to the table. Not just some background fixes or changes.

Other phone makers need to take note or they are going to get their lunch eaten by outdated business models and poor service.

Just an observation. :)

Besides for the "bug fixes" updates i agree. Its great that Apple constantly updates there products, even the phone. Other companies should follow suit on this. Keep it up apple.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.