Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More Tablet Rumors: Dual Dock Connectors, Antenna Panel and Optional 3G Support?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As the tablet event approaches, there seems to be no shortage of rumors and speculation about exactly what form the tablet will take. It's probably a good time to remind readers that prior to the iPhone launch, a number of wildly different specs and descriptions had been floating around. As it turned out, Apple had made efforts to create bogus handset prototypes to prevent the rumor sites from getting a clear picture of the iPhone.

iLounge today reports, however, that they have "double-confirmed" a couple of interesting details about the new Apple tablet. iLounge has generally been a reliable source of pre-release information.

According to the site, the tablet will have two dock connectors to allow the device to be docked in either portrait or landscape orientations. This should allow the device some flexibility when docking with 3rd party accessories, avoiding awkward cable positioning. Next, the back of the tablet is said to be metal but with a "long rear stripe" for wireless broadcasting, akin to the original iPhone due to the fact that metal prevents radio signal transmissions.

Finally, iLounge believes that the new tablet will likely offer optional 3G service in addition to built-in Wi-Fi. This, of course, raises the questions of contact pricing for this data service.

Article Link: More Tablet Rumors: Dual Dock Connectors, Antenna Panel and Optional 3G Support?

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Two dock connectors seems unlikely and could be worrisome as a compromise of the simplicity principle operating in many of Apple's designs. Of course, it's just a rumored specification of a rumored device, so who knows how anything will be implemented.

Comment

cduron

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
What if they turned on the tethering for the iPhone and we could tether it to the tablet. No need to by extra 3G and it would only be a small price increase that i am sure we would all pay for.

Thoughts....?

Comment

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
It will be interesting (if it comes with 3G from Verizon) and they sell a lot of these devices how well their network handles the increased traffic as opposed to AT&T past problems. The grass is always greener. I guess we'll see if Verizon is that much better.

Comment

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Dual connectors definitely not happening. Thats against the priniciples of His Steveness and Sir Johnny Ive. a second connector on the side just wont morph into the polished slate.

Comment

MACWhite

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
do i hear a wireless charging station for the 2nd Gen in the making?

anyway...optional 3G? this is good for those who dont want to pay $50 bucks extra a month for a tablet

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
What if they turned on the tethering for the iPhone and we could tether it to the tablet. No need to by extra 3G and it would only be a small price increase that i am sure we would all pay for.

Thoughts....?

Let's get tethering on the iPhone first ... but ... AT&T and tethering ... LOL

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I wonder if dual dock connector ports could pave the way for simultaneous docking + iPhone tethering. Example: Your tablet is docked via one connector port. Your iPhone is connected (with a special dock connector to dock connector cable) to the other port, sharing your iPhone's 3G connection with the tablet.

Comment

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
tablet event

As the tablet event approaches,

I love that we are now casually calling it 'the tablet event'. It all sounds plausible, and adds up to a pretty interesting device for my needs...

on a tangent - I'm hoping it's on a Wednesday, because they want to quietly update the CPU on the MacBook Pro on Tuesday.

That way I'll have all the info I need to choose. I know the tablet won't do what the MBP will do, but the question is just how much it will do... An oversized iPhone may not be enough...

Comment

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
Sounds about right for the features. I look forward to what Apple will be releasing. We shall know "for sure" shortly.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Contract pricing of $800 for a $1000 tablet isn't very good when you lock yourself into $60 a month.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
2 docking ports? Don't think so. It should be fully wireless.

You mean wireless syncing as well as wireless charging? That would be awesome.

But wireless may not be fast enough if Apple wants to do a docking station for the tablet, allowing the ability to not only do syncing, but provide keyboard/mouse, external monitor, usb/firewire devices and so on which could turn the tablet into a netbook/small laptop for those who wants it. Either way, there'll be a dock/stand for the tablet.

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I love that we are now casually calling it 'the tablet event'.

Yes, amazing. And what if there's no tablet?

An oversized iPhone may not be enough...

MacRumours understatement of the year.

There's going to be so much disappointment on the 27th.

Nothing could live up to the hype that's building up.

Smart AAPL investors will sell on the 26th, and buy on the 28th.

Comment

dankybear

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
Contract pricing of $800 for a $1000 tablet isn't very good when you lock yourself into $60 a month.

i doubt that will be the contract price... that's ridiculous, hopefully its not even sold with a contract

Comment

cduron

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Yes, amazing. And what if there's no tablet?

MacRumours understatement of the year.

There's going to be so much disappointment on the 27th.

Nothing could live up to the hype that's building up.

Smart AAPL investors will sell on the 26th, and buy on the 28th.

Wouldnt you buy now and sell on the 28th.. or are you thinking that the stock will ultimately fall after the announcement.

Comment

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Simplicity?

Two dock connectors... Why? Really why? No seriously... What pills was Steve on to 'ok' that...

With Steve being 'extremely happy' with the end result, it has to be nothing short than the 'ambrosia of the gods'

Lets think about this; When do you use a dock connector? Charging and Syncing... Hmm why would we need to 'dock' it either way?

As the 'reports' (and I use that term loosely) come in. With all the talk of a 'shared home device' it seems that mobility and wireless freedom is key here...

As for the 3G? I am sure some people would make use of it but I think most of its use time will really be using this magic slab in 'established' Wi-Fi enabled areas (Home/School/Business environments).

Again, if you can't tell from the listed above items, I call shenanigans here. iLounge you just happened to find two different Apple connections that were fed the same rainbow-lime fish bait... And chances are their walking papers have been served. :eek:

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Wouldnt you buy now and sell on the 28th.. or are you thinking that the stock will ultimately fall after the announcement.

I think the stock market is going to react negatively to the price and the fact that the tablet isn't what they all thought it would be.

Comment

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
i doubt that will be the contract price... that's ridiculous, hopefully its not even sold with a contract

Seriously? What if you don't want the 3g connection?

I'm almost always connected to Wi-Fi. Hell-I wish I didn't have to have my data connection for my iPhone, let alone paying $30-40 more a month just to use my tablet with wi-fi. That's why there should be the option. Then you can get it discounted with your data plan, and I can pay more to live contract & mobile data free.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Seriously? What if you don't want the 3g connection?

I'm almost always connected to Wi-Fi. Hell-I wish I didn't have to have my data connection for my iPhone, let alone paying $30-40 more a month just to use my tablet with wi-fi. That's why there should be the option. Then you can get it discounted with your data plan, and I can pay more to live contract & mobile data free.
I've reached the point where I'm bathed in enough 802.11 signals to not need a data plan to cover the majority of my mobile usage.

I'll still probably end up with an iPod Touch over a tablet though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.