More Tablet Rumors: Dual Dock Connectors, Antenna Panel and Optional 3G Support?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As the tablet event approaches, there seems to be no shortage of rumors and speculation about exactly what form the tablet will take. It's probably a good time to remind readers that prior to the iPhone launch, a number of wildly different specs and descriptions had been floating around. As it turned out, Apple had made efforts to create bogus handset prototypes to prevent the rumor sites from getting a clear picture of the iPhone.

iLounge today reports, however, that they have "double-confirmed" a couple of interesting details about the new Apple tablet. iLounge has generally been a reliable source of pre-release information.

According to the site, the tablet will have two dock connectors to allow the device to be docked in either portrait or landscape orientations. This should allow the device some flexibility when docking with 3rd party accessories, avoiding awkward cable positioning. Next, the back of the tablet is said to be metal but with a "long rear stripe" for wireless broadcasting, akin to the original iPhone due to the fact that metal prevents radio signal transmissions.

Finally, iLounge believes that the new tablet will likely offer optional 3G service in addition to built-in Wi-Fi. This, of course, raises the questions of contact pricing for this data service.

Article Link: More Tablet Rumors: Dual Dock Connectors, Antenna Panel and Optional 3G Support?

2. theheadguy macrumors 65816

3G would make this a killer device! ... and being on ATT would kill the experience.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

2 docking ports? Don't think so. It should be fully wireless.

4. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Two dock connectors seems unlikely and could be worrisome as a compromise of the simplicity principle operating in many of Apple's designs. Of course, it's just a rumored specification of a rumored device, so who knows how anything will be implemented.

5. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. cduron macrumors newbie

What if they turned on the tethering for the iPhone and we could tether it to the tablet. No need to by extra 3G and it would only be a small price increase that i am sure we would all pay for.

Thoughts....?

8. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    It should have both options. And a cigarette lighter

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

It will be interesting (if it comes with 3G from Verizon) and they sell a lot of these devices how well their network handles the increased traffic as opposed to AT&T past problems. The grass is always greener. I guess we'll see if Verizon is that much better.

10. MacGohil macrumors regular

MacGohil

Dual connectors definitely not happening. Thats against the priniciples of His Steveness and Sir Johnny Ive. a second connector on the side just wont morph into the polished slate.

11. MACWhite macrumors member

do i hear a wireless charging station for the 2nd Gen in the making?

anyway...optional 3G? this is good for those who dont want to pay $50 bucks extra a month for a tablet

12. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Let's get tethering on the iPhone first ... but ... AT&T and tethering ... LOL

13. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

I wonder if dual dock connector ports could pave the way for simultaneous docking + iPhone tethering. Example: Your tablet is docked via one connector port. Your iPhone is connected (with a special dock connector to dock connector cable) to the other port, sharing your iPhone's 3G connection with the tablet.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

15. strangelogic macrumors regular

tablet event

I love that we are now casually calling it 'the tablet event'. It all sounds plausible, and adds up to a pretty interesting device for my needs...

on a tangent - I'm hoping it's on a Wednesday, because they want to quietly update the CPU on the MacBook Pro on Tuesday.

That way I'll have all the info I need to choose. I know the tablet won't do what the MBP will do, but the question is just how much it will do... An oversized iPhone may not be enough...

16. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

Sounds about right for the features. I look forward to what Apple will be releasing. We shall know "for sure" shortly.

17. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Contract pricing of $800 for a $1000 tablet isn't very good when you lock yourself into $60 a month.

18. MikhailT macrumors 601

You mean wireless syncing as well as wireless charging? That would be awesome.

But wireless may not be fast enough if Apple wants to do a docking station for the tablet, allowing the ability to not only do syncing, but provide keyboard/mouse, external monitor, usb/firewire devices and so on which could turn the tablet into a netbook/small laptop for those who wants it. Either way, there'll be a dock/stand for the tablet.

19. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Yes, amazing. And what if there's no tablet?

MacRumours understatement of the year.

There's going to be so much disappointment on the 27th.

Nothing could live up to the hype that's building up.

Smart AAPL investors will sell on the 26th, and buy on the 28th.

20. dankybear macrumors regular

i doubt that will be the contract price... that's ridiculous, hopefully its not even sold with a contract

21. cduron macrumors newbie

Wouldnt you buy now and sell on the 28th.. or are you thinking that the stock will ultimately fall after the announcement.

22. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Simplicity?

Two dock connectors... Why? Really why? No seriously... What pills was Steve on to 'ok' that...

With Steve being 'extremely happy' with the end result, it has to be nothing short than the 'ambrosia of the gods'

Lets think about this; When do you use a dock connector? Charging and Syncing... Hmm why would we need to 'dock' it either way?

As the 'reports' (and I use that term loosely) come in. With all the talk of a 'shared home device' it seems that mobility and wireless freedom is key here...

As for the 3G? I am sure some people would make use of it but I think most of its use time will really be using this magic slab in 'established' Wi-Fi enabled areas (Home/School/Business environments).

Again, if you can't tell from the listed above items, I call shenanigans here. iLounge you just happened to find two different Apple connections that were fed the same rainbow-lime fish bait... And chances are their walking papers have been served. :eek:

23. MikhailT macrumors 601

I think the stock market is going to react negatively to the price and the fact that the tablet isn't what they all thought it would be.

24. beaner454 macrumors regular

Seriously? What if you don't want the 3g connection?

I'm almost always connected to Wi-Fi. Hell-I wish I didn't have to have my data connection for my iPhone, let alone paying $30-40 more a month just to use my tablet with wi-fi. That's why there should be the option. Then you can get it discounted with your data plan, and I can pay more to live contract & mobile data free.

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've reached the point where I'm bathed in enough 802.11 signals to not need a data plan to cover the majority of my mobile usage.

I'll still probably end up with an iPod Touch over a tablet though.