Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmunch

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Mac_user your speaking s*** !

The P4 with 2 GHz is even slower than a AMD Athlon XP with 1533 !!!

So, its possible that a G5 is much faster than a G4 800 DP.
Dont forget the G4 was not a big jump in processor tech.
He is just a better G3 and that chip is just a better 604.
The G5 semms like a brand new chip exspecially by the long develop time.

And the spec are impressing:

64Bit
High clock rates
DDR (will have by these clock rates)
SOI
new integer and floting point units
and a bigger BUS system
multi-core

And the others here are right the G5 will have DDR because by these big clock rates we expect, you cant take SD-RAM with his 133MHz thats too slow. The multiplicator will be too high !

I predict the G5 on MWNY or later but defintifly this year !!!!
Thats the last chance to get the Wintel world, wich also gets faster and faster ........

Sorry for my English its not the best.
:D

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: Newer PMs sooner rather than later

Originally posted by Sayer
[in the new G4's] Virtually NOTHING has changed beyond the CPU daughter card. No new I/O, not even ATA/100 drive interface. Except for Dual 1 GHz its a total :eek: (yawn).
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I thought they updated the bus architecture on the new G4's. No PCI bridge, Gigabit ethernet and firewire with their own controller, etc.
Were these on the DP800's and 867's ?

And, where does it say what speed the drive controller is? I can't find that anywhere on their site. If it truely is ATA/66 then I'd be surprised - in fact I thought they already were at ATA/100 with the last G4's.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Now I am stuck! I just ordered my new dual 1ghz powermac. However, I will be pissed if in march they bring out higher speed powermacs.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i said before i wouldn't speculate on g5s. so i won't. IF the g5s come out soon, they better have the software ready. all i hear about is people testing blah blah. but the network support guy made a silent good point.

everything was running in 32bit mode. not exactly what people are going to want with their shiny new 64-bit machines.

another thing i found interesting was the IBM/Moto thing. are they really both developing the same type of "g5" semiconductors?? who is IBM developing it for??? are they in testing?

and Falleron, why be pissed? you are gonna have dual-1GHz. if you are so pissed...give it to me. thats the nature of the business. its not half as bad as the PC world, where the second you buy the computer its almost two generations behind.

kidtronix

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
outside the dream syndicate

ok when was the last time apple upgraded their chip to a speed faster than 200mhz in a single revisit? going from 1 to 1.6 will take at least 2 revisits if apple goes by usual turns...

but hey i'd like to see it happen :cool:

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
While I'd love to 1.6 G5's real soon, it's just not going to happen.

Everyone is yapping on about how Apple 'must' do all this stuff soon.

Why must they?

Just to please the readers of these forums? (Who will only whinge becasue the end result doesn't meet the ridiculously high expectations placed on them).

At the end of the day it's business, if people are buying what's available and there is no sign of tail off in demand, why invest truck loads of cash to release a new product line.

If all they need to do is speed bump G4's that's what they'll do. They don't need to rush out G5's just to appease the Mac rumour forums.

I'd rather they wait until they have them properly sorted and release them then.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Roadmap

Don't quote me on this, but here's what's coming:

1. Final speed bump in G4 Powerbooks (2002)
2. G5 Towers (2002)
3. G4 chips in iBooks (2002)
4. dual processor G5 Towers (2003)
5. G5 Powerbooks/ faster iMac w/17" LCD (2003)

I'll let you fight over the dates.

The plan is to phase out the G3 as soon as possible, but without confusing the consumer and professional laptop lines.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by sparkleytone
i said before i wouldn't speculate on g5s. so i won't. IF the g5s come out soon, they better have the software ready. all i hear about is people testing blah blah. but the network support guy made a silent good point.

everything was running in 32bit mode. not exactly what people are going to want with their shiny new 64-bit machines.

another thing i found interesting was the IBM/Moto thing. are they really both developing the same type of "g5" semiconductors?? who is IBM developing it for??? are they in testing?

and Falleron, why be pissed? you are gonna have dual-1GHz. if you are so pissed...give it to me. thats the nature of the business. its not half as bad as the PC world, where the second you buy the computer its almost two generations behind.

The only reason I will be pissed is if they release for example DDRAM, faster bus soon. I believe these will make a large difference to system performance so I dont want to miss out because I did not wait 6 weeks.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
well, as we know it, the Final builds of G5's haven't been in testing for that long. Look at Itaniums, we recieved hard proof they were coming out 2 years before they were released. We have only seen G5's for eight months now...

Also, Motorola has said multiple times that their main focus is to get it's altivec performance to the same ratio as the G4s, which was said to be not that high at the moment. So apple to invest so much into Altivec and then release new processors without equal or better performance, is like Intel dropping SSE alltogether now that people are starting to support it on a decent basis.

I would like to see G5's in July, but I am looking more at a MWSF/MWNY 2003 release date.

G5

I think when they release the G5 it will come out on Powemacs, but it will also come out on TiBook at the same time. I hope they do this so Apple can say they have the Top Pro model and top Pro laptop:) Also I would love to see iPod 2 with a bigger HD.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
Re: G5

Originally posted by Macmaniac
I think when they release the G5 it will come out on Powemacs, but it will also come out on TiBook at the same time.

I guess you're talking about Tipowerbook. Actually Tibook is a consumer model. I bet they'll release it on the professional market before introducing it on the Tibook!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Re: G5

Originally posted by samy85114

I guess you're talking about Tipowerbook. Actually Tibook is a consumer model. I bet they'll release it on the professional market before introducing it on the Tibook!

Actually,

The TiBook is the Powerbook G4 (Titanium). It is the professional laptop and not the consumer one. The iBook is the consumer one.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Get with the Lingo

The TiBook is an affectionate name for the Titanium PowerBook. Thats what many MacUsers call it.

So, lets write it on the chalkboard: Apple makes an iBook, and a TiBook. Get it?

As far as a G5 coming out, and beige box testing:

Id love to believe that some company in the film industry is testing out G5's, but that story is highly suspect for two reasons: 1) Its Apple's policy not to have third party testers, for just this reason (gossip and NDA's). They have plenty of in-house testers and plenty of expertise to do it with. They test their own boxes, they dont have Steven Spielburg do it for them. 2) The film (and animation) industry typically uses SGI's and solaris systems, not Apple. Smaller companies (and some large) use Apple on occasion because it is more cost-efficient than buying 15,000-25,000 dollar editing systems. Yes, some companies use Apple, and Apple is more welcomed in the film industry than other industries, but the fact remains that it is an SGI's world. Jobs himself owns Pixar and they dont even use Apple. Its all SGI's,Unix, and proprietary software like Pixar's 'Marionette.' Maybe one day we will see Apple in the higher end studios, but they dont have the firepower yet.

For Apple's sake, I hope you are right. I DO want G5's in July, but it aint happening. Its the classic Apple-user flaw. Predicting high, and getting dissapointed. I predicted that there would be no hardware but iMacs announced for MWSF, and hit the nail on the head. Everyone else was predicting their brains out, and got dissapointed.

Still my prediction: G5's MWSF '03.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Apples strategy...

Hello all, here are my 2 €-cents :D

Macworld Tokio, 21.03.02
- Introducing OS 10.2
- Powerbook G4 800 (Apollo)
(maybe iBook G4, dont know :p )

Macworld NY, 16.07.02
- G5 Tower 1.6 GHz top (...possible)
- Dual G4 1.2 GHz (DDR RAM) (quite sure)
- G4 1 GHz (DDR RAM) low end :)

Around September: OS 10.3, iBook G4 surely
MWSF: Speedbumps all around, even iMac2

Now, how about that?? :D

:rolleyes:
Maybe I should rename in oracle :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
it's not much surprise...

it's no surprise that Apple is in development of something....they are good at appeasing the masses while secretly working on something even better!

U

Unregistered

There is still plenty of life left in the G4. The 0.15 micron manufacturing process should make for a faster chip. Maybe G4's in laptops and imacs, then G5's in the new towers?

R

rastalin

If I were Mr. Jobs

Here is what I would do if I were in Mr. Jobs place. Keep doing little steps to increase the power of the PM line enough to keep users from completely freaking out. I would not change anything major, no bus upgrades, no new firewire, etc. Keep everything the same but just try to squeeze as much life out of the current G4 setup as I possibly could. Than as soon as everything is lined up and ready to ship drop the bomb on the world. Come out with the G5 with everything upgraded at once and just blow the freakin doors off of everything out there. Instead of doing little upgrades along the way that just complicate everything, release it all at once to the world and sit back and watch everyone’s jaw drop. I would love to see Apple come out with a fully updated PM line that beats every Windows machine out there no questions asked.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
agreenster's last post

Just a couple of points...

You are absolutely correct that the film industry is dominated by SGI. The folks I support have far more SGI gear than Apple. However, you may be surprised at how widely Macs are used. Maybe not for final rendering and such, but there are lots of other things Macs do well for a lot less cost than an SGI box.

Apple certainly does field test, whether they publicly admit it or not. As we all know, Apple is much more interested in real world performance as opposed to how fast they can clock the CPU, and they simply do not have the capability to really measure all of the different possible configurations in house. In addition, film, video, etc is a good place for them to test because people in those industries are used to not talking about anything they are working on. For example, a friend of my daughter went to work at ILM as a CG animator after she graduated from college a couple of years ago. The secrecy contract she had to sign made Apple's NDA look like an interoffice memo.

Finally, I want to clarify that I am not claiming to know what Apple is going to release or when. Although I wish that I knew, I simply don't. All I was saying is that at least in one case, the test period has ended. If that is across the board, with about 6 months to MWNY, there is plenty of time to finalize the spec, finish the design and be ready for release. Can Motorola supply enough G5's? Does marketing think MWNY is the right time? Who knows? Not me.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Re: Apples strategy...

Originally posted by Stike
Around September: OS 10.3

Too early! How long time has it been since 10.1 and we havent seen even a shadow os 10.2! (Well, they start to appear...) :)

:rolleyes: Maybe I should rename in oracle :D
You go do that.. Then I'll rename myself to the Macintosh Sage! :D

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Here's something to mull on a bit. Let's assume that Apple isn't planning on releasing a G5 this year.

If this is so, then they would have to release updates tot he Powermac line similar to what just happened. Of all the mhz upgrades, this was THE first milestone for apple. So they just did a small press release on this one. After this way of introduction for the Powermac, how is Steve going to get up on stage and say, "well here we are, with a nifty new speedbump. Today we have a dual 1.2ghz machine! The low end is 1ghz, and the top is 1.4ghz. So now all the Powermacs are at 1ghz or greater. Now let's see the photoshop bake-off...."

That wouldn't go over well. Folks, that's six months from now. Sure those would be fine specs for the towers, but I suspect that everyone in here when that happend would be all in the hoots about how that's not enough.

Because it isn't! I've read from several different articles that say something to the effect that DDR Ram isn't compatible with the G4. Maybe I'm wrong. BUT, why release a new case and motherboard and waste that release on speed bumped G4's??? See, the whole thing needs to be upgraded. And look how old the case is for the G4. I just think it's obvious that it is going to happen this year, and no later than MWNY.

Maybe I have flawed reasoning. I hope I'm right is all I'm trying to get across. I think the cases are a good indication alone. What do you think?

U

Unregistered

from rumors I have read. And yes i realize they are rumors they might have taken out the multicore part to get the chips here fast

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I would be happy to see a G5 tower by, or before, MYSF in 2003. If it happens before then, great!!

Once I sell my current G4 tower, I am waiting until the G5 comes out before getting a new tower.

Until the G5 tower comes out, I will be using my rev. A TiBook for everything of value. Including scanning, burning cd's and such.

I just installed my spare 40 GB ATA hard drive into a firewire enclosure. It's silver metal and clear plastic, with a little yellow firewire symbol on it. Very cool looking. I am seriously thinking about getting some more hard drives and making an external RAID system. Since I use OS X 99% of the time on the TiBook, that would work out pretty well. OS X has the RAID support built in, so that you can use either external, or internal hard drives that way. I suspect that hard drive prices will be making additional drops in the coming months, and the larger ones should become more available. One thing that I need to find out is if I add additional drives to the RAID if I will loose all the old data because I would need to reset the RAID or if I can add the drive to it on the fly and retain the data. If anyone knows about Apple's RAID support under OS X, or has done this, I would like to know.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
nope you lose the data. thats the way a raid works. Just back the data on one of your drives or burn som cdrs if it isn't a lot of data (but it probably is if you have the need for a raid array). For great hard drives perfect for firewire enclosures go see the barefeats.com review of them. to tell you the truth, with capacities that high and that fast there really isnt any need for a raid unless you plan on capturing more than 120 gbs worth of data.
what were you planing on using it for anyway?

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: get with it re: ibook/tibook

ibook, dual usb ibook, and tibook

so what do you call the 14" inch ibook? i guess 14" inch ibook but that sounds boring...maybe the P1 site/chatroom dedicated to ibook will come up with a new name for that one

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I want to bring all my files off of the G4 before I release it. Both the 40 and 27 GB hard drives are over 1/2 full. Since I have the 40GB right now, I figured getting some more would allow me to increase the capacity, and then using the RAID would make them appear as one drive (not manny). I haven't deleted many files in the year and a half that I have had the system, even though I probably should.

I just received my new QPS burner, the 24x10x40 model, and plan on trying it out over the weekend. My last QPS burner, the 12x10x32 model worked wonderfully. I sold that to someone that really wanted a burner, and didn't want to wait. I was going to go for the 32x burner, but got tired of waiting, and also figured that since they both burn a 700MB cd in about 3 minutes, it will work good enough. I also got a 100 pack spindle of blanks with the burner (24x rated), which lets me go full bore right away. I noticed that is is real hard to find 32x media right now, although that will change in the future. Kind of makes you wonder where the cd burner speeds will stop going up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.