More Uses for the iPod

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The previously reported Duke iPod pilot program which supplied an Apple iPod to incoming Duke Univeristy Freshman is reportedly going well.

The $500,000 project provided 20GB iPods as well as Belkin microphone recorders to incoming Freshman:

The iPods have been used mostly for recording lectures and interviews and replaying them on the go. Other academic uses include analyzing music, not only in a music theory course but also in engineering labs, which examined music from the standpoint of its sound properties.

Widespread publicity about the program has prompted queries from textbook publishers, who might include more audio material with their print offerings as a result. That is an unexpected benefit, O'Brien said.
The iPod has spawned another interesting use... Podcasting. Spearheaded by Adam Curry (former MTV VJ), it involves distribution of audio shows to iPods:

Before podcasting arrived, Curry was frustrated by the state of broadcasting on the Internet, which is often done by streaming feeds. Unlike with traditional radio, streaming costs grow with the audience, and it's difficult for listeners to do save the show or do anything else with it afterward.

By comparison, regular downloads of audio files can be more evenly distributed over time and let listeners move programs to portable devices. Before podcasting, however, there was no simple mechanism to do that automatically.
For more info, see iPodder.org

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
well hey i think thats great but i mean cmon' just uses for lectures? the students hab to be using it for music and data storage and the the like :eek:

sirjimithy1

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
Not that other players are incapable, but they're just not on the same level with iPod's user-friendliness and they lack the style and sophistication.

If only I weren't from Maryland and ingrained to hate Duke ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stoid said:
It seems that in some ways the word 'iPod' is becoming ubiquitous with the term "mp3 player". Just because the iPod was chosen for these tasks doesn't mean that other mp3 players are incapable.
True, but they do say "and other digital music players." It's kind of like "Kleenex" for facial tissues, "Roller Blades" for inline skates, etc. - I think it's great that the iPod has come to represent the complete digital player market. I don't see it hurting Apple in any way.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
emw said:
I think it's great that the iPod has come to represent the complete digital player market. I don't see it hurting Apple in any way.
It does hurt them a little bit when someone is sold another brand MP3 player when they, having heard about the wonderful experience it provides, ask for an iPod (because to the salesman they're all iPods), only to discover their non-Apple-branded one sucks.

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
M&M's
Well, I'm a bit surprised that podcasting is "big" news all of a sudden. After all, engadget has already done podcasts for quite a while and even posted several tutorials.
I guess thought, that since MacRumors is a rumor website, it does not cover podcasting per se, but MacBytes would have it in the linklist.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I use my iPod mini exclusively as a music player, other functions, including radio (online as well as FM/AM) and the lame included games, is totally uninteresting... heck, I even consider trading in my iPod mini for a shuffle, which really has all I want in a portable music device... the ability to playback my own music whenever and wherever I want it...

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
If the iPod was also a PDA, phone, camera, had a built in Satellite Radio tuner, and built in mic it would have a lot more uses. Maybe not all of these but some at least please. I think the iPod Photo was a start. I mostly hope for the PDA idea. I know that this idea is a touchy one but I still would like to see it.

jncrow

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2003
Great to hear. I have checked out some podcast sights and have not found many that are of any quality or that have any interesting subject matter. Am I just no looking hard enough?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
swissmann said:
If the iPod was also a PDA, phone, camera, had a built in Satellite Radio tuner, and built in mic it would have a lot more uses. Maybe not all of these but some at least please. I think the iPod Photo was a start. I mostly hope for the PDA idea. I know that this idea is a touchy one but I still would like to see it.
That would be great! All for it.

Get going apple, ty :)

Cheers

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
jncrow said:
Great to hear. I have checked out some podcast sights and have not found many that are of any quality or that have any interesting subject matter. Am I just no looking hard enough?
Nah, it's a new and growing field so there isn't a whole lot out there yet. A lot of geek stuff but not much of general interest. Give it a year or so and I'm sure there will be a lot more to choose from.

Some newspapers offer their articles as audio. The Guardian is a good place to start. I believe the BBC also offers audio article downloads.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Oh come on thats a load of bull, "the ipods are mostly used recording and playing back lectures"?!?! Those Duke kids are total geeks if the majority of time spent with their ipod is listening to lectures. Nah uh. No Way.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Podcasts

Adam Curry's show The Daily Source Code is pretty good as are Reel Reviews and The Dawn and Drew Show.

i_b_joshua

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
That's awesome that the iPod is getting kudos for academic uses. And I love it that iPod is synonymous with MP3 Player - I mean, it is what all players should aspire to - though the iPod could always get better.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
DavidLeblond said:
This has most probably already been posted, but you can also make a RAID array of iPod Shuffles
Some of us use an iPod shuffle to run a complete web site including:

1) J2EE application server/servlet container
2) Web Server
3) CFML & JSP runtime engines
4) SQL Database server & database
5) CFML/JSP applications
6) CFEClipse IDE

Since this resource hog can take upwards of 30-60 Megabytes on the iPod shuffle, the RAID shuffle is a welcome addition of reliable storage for those who have larger sites and databases.

A computer is required.

Think I'm kidding? visit:

http://philcruz.com/cfeverywhere

Dounload & double-click the Tracking Tools demo to your iPod shuffle & you will be running a database-driven web site from your iPod shuffle... the whole thing takes 3-5 minutes.

Really!

Dick Applebaum

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
swissmann said:

Do you want that in oral or suppository form?

Dick

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
swissmann said:
Hey, the iPod is a music player. I personally think the photo edition was a mistake, even if it does fit in with iLife. A videocamera or 8 track recorder would also fit with iLife and I hope they don't build that into the 'Pods. If you want 3" colorscreen, videopalayback, PDA, phone, camera, radio, Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMax and built-in mic (and 30 minutes battery life), get a smart phone, not a portable music player...

...but, I really don't care if Apple issues a multipurpose device as long as they still maintain a shuffle and mini line for music, but I fear that if they diversify the iPod line too much they'll ruin it... and create a whole range of devices that won't sell because the masses will only want a fraction of the functionality and not pay a fortune (iPod photo prices) for that...

Edit: But I'm all for add-ons to expand functionality, like Belkins mic and other stuff... that's ok, because I can choose the accessories that I need and can afford...

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
dejo said:
It does hurt them a little bit when someone is sold another brand MP3 player when they, having heard about the wonderful experience it provides, ask for an iPod (because to the salesman they're all iPods), only to discover their non-Apple-branded one sucks.
i don't see that being an issue ... it would have to be a pretty uniformed salesman.

you have to give a little more credit

just like in sporting goods store, sales people will show you different inline skate brands ...when you say rollerblades ... they won't just show you Rollerblade branded

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
If the iPod had been around when I was in grad school to record my classes I would have had it in a hear beat! I always recorded lectures and then went home to type the notes. Maybe when the kids are out of the house and I decide to head back for another degree I'll get a bigger iPod!

I am such a nerd!