MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Over the weekend, MacShrine claimed that it had images of the "iPod AV", a full-screen video iPod. These images were received by the site via an anonymous email submission. This is not the first time claimed images of the rumored video iPod images have circulated. In fact, the same site had previously popularized the earlier video iPod photo, which was originally posted to Flickr.

These new images (mirrored in Gallery of Video iPod Mockups) received a significant amount of attention, with the usual real vs not-real debate. The images were posted on MacRumors Page2 for lack of any additional information.

A few hours after the images were posted and linked prominently, MacShrine was suspended by their host. Casual onlookers felt it was likely due to excessive bandwidth consumption. Today, however, MacShrine.com claims that the images were removed at the demand of Apple Legal.

These claims are met with some skepticism due to fact that many sites (Engadget, Gizmodo) continue to prominently display the offending images. Historically, Apple Legal has been very aggressive with Cease and Desist letters against sites posting offending materials, and has never focused on one site alone.

Another remote possibility includes the possibility of counterfeit emails by a 3rd party. Last month, several promiment Mac/iPod sites were fooled into posting news about an upcoming Apple Event when an falsified email was sent to these sites.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
These reported iPod images are getting to be a bit much...at least they all seem to agree on the design!

Rather convenient that these images are taken on top of an airport hifi;right after its release.

Comment

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
looks cool.. but wouldn't the screen get scuffed, rubbed out, or scratched where the virtual wheel is???

Comment

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Macrumors said:
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png
These claims are met with some skepticism due to fact that many sites (Engadget, Gizmodo) continue to prominently display the offending images. Historically, Apple Legal has been very aggressive with Cease and Desist letters against sites posting offending materials, and has never focused on one site alone.

For the record, Engadget boasts that they have never agreed to a legal request to remove leaked images/info. So, there's that.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ya, I apologize for even more ipod photo images. I try to avoid them, but when they get so much attention for other sites, it's hard to ignore.

arn

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
treblah said:
For the record, Engadget boasts about having never agreed to a legal request to remove leaked images/info. So, there's that.

:) Perhaps... but it would be interesting if they got on Apple's bad side. If Apple stops inviting them to their press events, would Engadget cave?

besides, the images are still up in the gallery here too.

arn

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
jonomo said:
looks cool.. but wouldn't the screen get scuffed, rubbed out, or scratched where the virtual wheel is???

It's a touch screen, they're coated with a hard, matte, scratch and fingerprint-proof finish.

It better be though....

Comment

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
That seems too real to me. If they are going to look like this, I'm in. I love the way it coverts into a current iPod through the display. I'm crossing my fingers.

Comment

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Can't say i have looked at the previous photos, but these ones certainly would meet the expected design of such a device.

I would also say that you would expect apple to if nothing else produce a few of these to test the waters, see how good the concept is and how capable the device is. So even if it never went into production i think you could be safe in assuming they do exist.

Comment

withnail

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
If these are real, then why is no one posting any clips of them actually playing video content? I mean if someone had one in his/her grubby hands and was bent on being the one to definitively "break" the rumor, that would go a long way towards that end, no?

Comment

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
anything...please

I'll take any good news these days...anything to get the AAPL stock back up.

Actually this sounds very good and the recent downturn probably is still a buying op. (even thought I think it may still go lower).

A new exciting product in light of the medium-excitement iPod Hi-Fi and the recent virus/hacking news items may be just the thing to turn things around. :eek:

Comment

ironicofoeva

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2006
right.... THERE!
withnail said:
If these are real, then why is no one posting any clips of them actually playing video content? I mean if someone had one in his/her grubby hands and was bent on being the one to definitively "break" the rumor, that would go a long way towards that end, no?

you would think it wouldn't be too hard to take a video when we are seeing some obviously high quality digital pictures. I want this iPod so bad, especially since my 4G recently went *kerplunk* but it seems if you have the time to take a high quality picture of one on a good background and so forth, then you should have to time to take a quick video with the said high quality camera (as most to all now have that option).

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I have no doubts that the next iPod will definitely be along these lines in terms of technology, look, design, etc, but I am getting sick of these pics and videos. It's getting to the point where I don't even care if they are real or not.

Comment

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
Dark stairs in someone's house, must be the new elevator :D

In Mexico as well, doesn't Apple release all of their new products there first?

I am in the fake camp this time around as well, sure wish it was real...would make up for the lousy Apple "fun new products" event.

Comment

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
Can't be real. Not enough fingerprints on the screen :p

Anyway, I had this thought when the shuffle came out;
What does Apple do about hushing the people who model their new products. With the shuffle, the day it came out they had tons of pictures of people using it. I wonder if these pictures are a case of someone getting a early release of the product and not keeping it secret.

Just a thought. Or, it could just be a mock-up again.

Does anyone know about the models though?

Comment

sprstu

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
white bear lake, mn
who are the people that get their hands on this stuff? I mean if it is real, how on earth would anyone get it? does everyone know a guy who knows a guy that works in the underground secret apple society?

I just bought a 30gig, and if these images are real, I may be a bit dissapointed with my purchase.

edit^^^ good answer

Comment

mavrick422

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
edges

has anyone noticed the slightly raised clear edges on both the nano and video in the picture where they are resting on the hi-fi? it seems like that would be hard to create in photoshop, seeing as they are so realistic. I REALLY WANT THIS TO BE TRUE!!!! also, is macshrine bs-ing us about the apple legal thing? i would think apple would tell them to keep it secret that they told them to take something off their site --> unless they want their asses burned in the ground in law suits

Comment

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Never seen the video before, but definitely getting tired of all of the new pics though. We know this will be the design. We don't need a million "pictures" of it.

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rockandrule said:
Never seen the video before, but definitely getting tired of all of the new pics though. We know this will be the design. We don't need a million "pictures" of it.

My thoughts exactly. Even if these truly are legitimate images, videos, etc. of the new iPod, it's getting to be a bit much. We know this is what they will look like, give or take, so let's just exercise some patience and wait for Apple to release them.

I'm all for rumors, hot tips, pics, etc., but this is starting to get a bit overdone. :cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.