Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Well... Morpheus is here for the Mac... sorta...

As previously reported - Morpheus was considering making a switch to the Gnutella network - and today released a Preview Edition (which has 53 million downloads at the time of this post)

What this effectively means is that many Morpheus users will be switching to the Gnutella network - providing many more users/files... so if we can't bring the Mac to the Network, this basically brings the network to within the Mac's reach.

While there is no official Mac client... any of the current Gnutella clients will be able to access the same files. Many people like Limewire, however an OS X native client, Aquisition is an up and coming client with a lot of promise.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by irmongoose
so Morpheus made the switch to Gnutella, but there is no Morpheus for Mac? Is that what it means?

But, wouldnt it be the same as before then??

Not exactly...

It's a partial win... why do people like Fasttrack (morpheus/kazaa)?

1) Wide availability of files... with 53 million downloads in 1 day... that's an impressive number of clients... with all P2P networks - you need clients to provide the content
2) Better filetransfer protocols - with FastTrack, you could download simultaneously from multiple clients at once.. so instead of downloading from 1 person at 2k/s. You could download from 10 people at 2k/s each => 20k/s

So... 1) Suddenly, tons more people are a part of the Gnutella network - giving it _far_ more content

2) Well, you lose some of the advanced features of the FastTrack network...

arn

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Not for Me=(

Originally posted by arn

It's a partial win... why do people like Fasttrack (morpheus/kazaa)?

I wanted Fasttrack because my college just blocked gnutella. Now Morpheous will be operating under the same parameters as Limewire et al, so I couldn't care less if it comes to Mac after all.

Simon

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
Unless this Aquisition turns out to be a very nice piece of software, i think i'll stick with Sputnix.

If anyone is interestied in Sputnix (it's an audiogalaxy client), just check it out on versiontracker.com. I strongly recommend it.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
audio galaxy clients?

The only audiogalaxy client listed in Versiontracker is Macsatellite. The last couple of times I tried logging on to Audiogalaxy, it can't establish a connection to create an account for me.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
It seems that you don't really get it. Morpheus was based on the FastTrack protocol which is one of the 2nd generation decentralized file sharing protocols, whereas Gnutella is a very primitive/old first generation protocol. It's not just some features, it's the whole network structure (supernodes etc.) which makes FastTrack clients far superior. People used Morpheus because of its high reliability, speed and ease of use. Because Gnutella can't meet (and will never in its current network design) those standards, people will soon get tired of Gnutella and switch back to FastTrack: Kazaa.

So, what does this basically mean? Morpheus is just another Gnutella client with all the drawbacks and nobody(well maybe a few...) will continue use it. Mac users still can't join the real party unless a Mac client is released by Kazaa.

Not good news at all, 123

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Anything that is faster than LimeWire would be great news, its a good product but java is really slow in OSX!

no kidding....it also runs sssllllooooowwwww in OS 9!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Biggles

If anyone is interestied in Sputnix (it's an audiogalaxy client), just check it out on versiontracker.com. I strongly recommend it.

For MP3's Audiogalaxy can't be beat...

but for non-MP3 files, you need another P2P network.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by 123
It seems that you don't really get it.

I "get it"... in that I realize there's advantages to a 2nd generation protocol... and I personally have had little luck with the Gnutella clients... but one of the advantages of the Fasttrack network is its size...

Anyhow.. I've re-tried Gnutella clients, and still ahve little reliable luck with them...

if you're running OS X, you should look at eDonkey2000 ( http://www.chaosmint.com/edonkey ) as a true 2nd gen P2P network.

arn

elliotay

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
I've just started using Sputnik. However, I've only got one song to actually start transfering. Every other song I try to get just says it's processing. Is there anything I can do make more songs actually start downloading?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by elliotay
I've just started using Sputnik. However, I've only got one song to actually start transfering. Every other song I try to get just says it's processing. Is there anything I can do make more songs actually start downloading?

share more files... if you aren't sharing any files, you can only download 1 at a time

arn

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
iSwipe -- it's the best out there

I've tried all these (on my pc and mac where possible)-- LimeWire, BearShare, Blubster, Kazaa, Morpheus, AG Sat Client, Sputnik, eDonkey, Hotline, SwapNut etc.etc.etc. but the best for everything is iSwipe. It works under Mac OS X (natively) and OS 8.x-9.x. You can download from http://www.hillmanminx.com -- or if you are having trouble with accessing that, use http://homepage.mac.com/hillmanminx

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
i just downloaded Aquisition, and it seems to work pretty nice for a gnutella network (better than limewire at least). However, it still seems to be lacking.....well im not sure what, but its lacking something. Are there any Fasttrack clients on OSX???

I guess if there arent any, then Sputnix and Aquisition are good enough for me. I just want something better though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.