Morrowind and Fusion. Not working out so great.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Strigoitsepesh, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Strigoitsepesh macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 black macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 2.16 GHZ processor. I've championed Fusion in the past and have been using it to play older PC games. The other day, on a whim, I purchased the GOTY edition of Morrowind. The game is virtually unplayable in Fusion. The graphics are appalling (NPCs have missing body parts, the water is a mess.) I tried to run the game in Crossover, just to see if the problem was my machine, but, minus a few graphical hiccups, it ran perfectly. Can anyone get this game to run in Fusion? If so, how? I would much rather play it there.

I am at wit's end.

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Fusion and Parallels are rubbish for games. Just don't even try.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

5. Strigoitsepesh thread starter macrumors newbie

I've installed Boot Camp on my imac desktop computer (last generation) for the very purpose of playing Morrowind, but that's not working out so great either. Morrowind apparently can't find or play its music, and then decides to crash. I've learned that my XP isn't able to play any sound, and when I try to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers I get the error "another instance of this installation is running" and, of course, I can find no such instance.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Sounds like something is dorked up on your XP install. I know for a fact that Morrowind will play on Vista on my laptop, so it should work on XP on your Mac although that is my assumption.

I'm not a Windows expert, but if I was in your situation, I would first launch XP and look for the Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows (I think if you click on Start you might see a "Control Panel" option) find the Boot Camp CP and see if there is an option to update or reinstall drivers.

If that does not work, then I would start over. Launch Windows XP, put in your XP install disk and reinstall Windows from scratch. What I'm not sure about is-> would the Boot Camp Drivers auto install? Or do you have to start over completely by launching Boot Camp and telling it you want to install Windows, even though you've all ready done it?

More research might be be worthwhile and if you don't get the answer here, go check out Apple Discussions (Apple's forum).

7. mongrol macrumors regular

Seconded.

8. Strigoitsepesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I made my way over the the Apple Disccussions forum and looks like this is not an isolated incident. Also, I am not the only one having trouble fixing this problem. I am considering switching from Fusion to Boot Camp on my macbook (after I finish Diablo, that is. Don't want to lose my save) because it looks like you guys vastly prefer it to Fusion when it comes to games.

Morrowind will run better under Boot Camp? (that is, if this issue doesn't repeat itself)

9. Trip.Tucker Guest

I've been able to play Commandos 2 just fine under Fusion. Pick any game with DX8.0 or minimal DX9.0 requirements and they run fine.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think with real old games like Morrowind, you could get decent performance using one of those emulation schemes. But Boot Camp will give you the best native performance, compatibility, and more options for gaming. I've heard negative stuff about Crossover and Fusion. :)

If you find a good discussion on redoing BootCamp, please post a linki!

11. TheAngusBurger macrumors member

I'm on a 2.66ghz iMac, and Morrowind runs very slowly under Parallels 4.0. But then again, so do most games (besides Red Alert 3, rather surprisingly...)

I just don't play games in Parallels, despite the support for all my card's vRAM, and DirectX 9.0. Even when I can get games to run, I'd much rather enjoy the fuller experience I get under Boot Camp.

12. Jack Burden macrumors newbie

Slight tangent here, but I had a quick question for anybody who's tried Morrowind on Parallels 4.0. When I try to install, I immediately get an error message about iKernel.exe, something to the effect of "System could not find specified file." Anybody seen that/know what I need to fix?

13. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I used to use Fusion for a couple of days to do a little light gaming. However I found that Boot Camp is much better IMO for gaming. And if you really think about it, it only takes 30 seconds (or less in my case) to restart back into OS X if need be.

14. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Just start with Boot Camp. If you need to get into Windows for whatever reason other than gaming, Fusion can boot up your Boot Camp drive in OS X. Works great.