Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eldy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
The City
The Moshi Clearguard came today.

Fit and finish:
The first thing you will notice is that the Clearguard is very thin and light. Despite it's thin appearance it is very durable. One issue, right off the bat, is that it is so light that a strong breeze or in my case blowing off a hair that settled onto my trackpad will send it up and flapping. Most of the time it will settle back into place.

The Clearguard does not fit perfectly on the MacBook Pro. The top edge, or skirt, of the guard is not heavy enough (or malleable enough) to sink down to the top edge of the function keys. The result is that instead of following the contour of the keyboard recession, the skirt sits diagonally along the top like a spoon in a cereal bowl. This gives the appearance that the function key covers are too large for the function keys.

The Clearguard fits perfectly on the Apple Wireless keyboard keys but its outer flaps will hang over the side of the Wireless keyboard.

Feel:
There will be increased typing effort needed to get the keys down specifically if you have a tendency to hit certain keys on the edge. This will cause a few typos for about an hour or two depending on how hard you type but you will quickly grow accustomed to the new feel of the keyboard. The keys will have about 85% of their original feel but that isn't necessarily a bad thing because the silicone gives you a higher grip on the keys.

Looks:
The cover will cast a slight gray color to your MacBook Pro keyboard. Illumination is hardly affected. Other than the top skirt of the Clearguard protruding slightly over the keyboard recession and making the function keys look small; the cover is very nice and will protect your keyboard from getting shiny. I believe, after a day or two, you won't even notice that it's there.

Summary:
The Moshi Clearguard isn't perfect but it's pretty close! Definitely recommended!

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
thanks for your review, i was considering this..

Fit and finish:
The first thing you will notice is that the Clearguard is very thin and light. Despite it's thin appearance it is very durable. One issue, right off the bat, is that it is so light that a strong breeze or in my case blowing off a hair that settled onto my trackpad will send it up and flapping. Most of the time it will settle back into place.

The Clearguard does not fit perfectly on the MacBook Pro. The top edge, or skirt, of the guard is not heavy enough (or malleable enough) to sink down to the top edge of the function keys. The result is that instead of following the contour of the keyboard recession, the skirt sits diagonally along the top like a spoon in a cereal bowl. This gives the appearance that the function key covers are too large for the function keys.

The Clearguard fits perfectly on the Apple Wireless keyboard keys but its outer flaps will hang over the side of the Wireless keyboard.

Feel:
There will be increased typing effort needed to get the keys down specifically if you have a tendency to hit certain keys on the edge. This will cause a few typos for about an hour or two depending on how hard you type but you will quickly grow accustomed to the new feel of the keyboard. The keys will have about 85% of their original feel but that isn't necessarily a bad thing because the silicone gives you a higher grip on the keys.

Looks:
The cover will cast a slight gray color to your MacBook Pro keyboard. Illumination is hardly affected. Other than the top skirt of the Clearguard protruding slightly over the keyboard recession and making the function keys look small; the cover is very nice and will protect your keyboard from getting shiny. I believe, after a day or two, you won't even notice that it's there.

Summary:
The Moshi Clearguard isn't perfect but it's pretty close! Definitely recommended!

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
i am using the clearguard on my 13" macbook, and i also find that the top row of keys are not a perfect fit and that the top edge of the skin sticks out of the recessed area for the keyboard.

It is not because of the edge of the skin sticks out, the space allotted for the function keys are actually larger than the actual keys.

kinda disappointing.

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I just ordered mine today. I'm a little worried about how you both said it goes over the recession area on the top, but I really think that's better than developing shiny keys.

My hands always seem to be super oily. So I think his is a necessary evil. I'm tried of doing daily cleanings on the damn thing!

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
before i put mine on, i got rid of 3 days worth of oil without any problems. I just used the walmart eyeglass cleaner.

Since the keys are not "painted" on, i don't think we have to worry about rubbing off the letters, like the non-backlit keyboard macbooks.

Now, i just noticed that there is a very light imprint of the keys on the glass of my macbook screen. but since it is glass and not the actual screen, i'm not worried

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK
I think I'd rather have the tiny bit sticking out the top than have shiny keys, and it beats my friends iSkin THICK keyboard cover hands down!

I'm getting it, will probably arrive before my (now delayed) 17" MBP arrives! So will hopefully put it on the keyboard as soon as I get it so from the start I get used to the feel of it.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I REALLY want to try this, but I'm just worried it will change the feeling of the keys to much, and more importantly, increase the heat of the unit covering all the keys which could be used as air intake.

I'll probably give in and buy this next week...

Harlowgold1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Ohio - GO BUCKEYES!
I love mine and it does change the feeling of the keys. I prefer having more texture and it takes about a week for the skin to stretch a little. I have noticed that it does make the computer warmer after an hour of use.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Thanks for the review! I'll be ordering 4 of these within the next week or so :p One for my wireless keyboard, my MacBook, my moms MacBook and my future MacBook which I should get at the same time! :cool: Do you by any chance have the Palmguard or whatever it's called as well?

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I've noticed there is a small oil patch on my trackpad that vigorous cleaning can't seem to get rid of. Is there a (low profile) trackpad protector yet for the new Unibody Macbook Pros?

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
Anyone got any discount codes for Moshi?

there was one for January that coincided with macworld.

I got mine from Amazon.com for $25 (+/- 50 cents), shipped.

that might be the same price as the official website, but i had amazon.com gift certificates to use up, so it was better for me.

UpsetUser

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Any idea where to get a moshi clearguard in Toronto?

Or any Canadian suppliers

I checked out amazon and it would run me 80 dollars for the product after shipping....a bit pricey

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I have some questions:

-Can you show me photos of the Moshi clearguard sticking out on the MBP keyboard?

-Can I close my MBP with this clearguard on, or do I have to take it off in fear of an imprint being left on the screen?

-In regards to the laptop heating up.. I leave my MBP on all the time.. will I have to take this Moshi clearguard off or turn off my MBP more often now because of chances of damaging the computer?

Thanks!

Fit and finish:

Feel:

Looks:

Summary:

eldy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
The City
I REALLY want to try this, but I'm just worried it will change the feeling of the keys to much, and more importantly, increase the heat of the unit covering all the keys which could be used as air intake.

I'll probably give in and buy this next week...

I was testing the fans on my laptop using the "yes > /dev/null" command to strain the processors with the lid open and once the temperature stabilized there was no difference in CPU core temperature or fan speed according to iStat with the Clearguard on for over 30 minutes and with it off.

I have some questions:

-Can you show me photos of the Moshi clearguard sticking out on the MBP keyboard?

-Can I close my MBP with this clearguard on, or do I have to take it off in fear of an imprint being left on the screen?

-In regards to the laptop heating up.. I leave my MBP on all the time.. will I have to take this Moshi clearguard off or turn off my MBP more often now because of chances of damaging the computer?

Thanks!

I'll dig up my camera this evening... but it sticks past the edge less than half a millimeter.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I was testing the fans on my laptop using the "yes > /dev/null" command to strain the processors with the lid open and once the temperature stabilized there was no difference in CPU core temperature or fan speed according to iStat with the Clearguard on for over 30 minutes and with it off.

This is great news! Thank you for answering that for me.

I'll dig up my camera this evening... but it sticks past the edge less than half a millimeter.

Here's a question... Is this something that can be trimmed with an X-acto blade and a ruler or something to trim down the part that lays over the edge?

I'd love to see a photo of this if you can post one for us.

I'm SO close to ordering this.

eldy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
The City
Here's a question... Is this something that can be trimmed with an X-acto blade and a ruler or something to trim down the part that lays over the edge?

I'd love to see a photo of this if you can post one for us.

I'm SO close to ordering this.

That crossed my mind as well but decided against it because: after a day you'll forget that it's barely hanging over, it actually helps you remove the skin by giving you an edge to pick up, and trimming it perfectly might be difficult.

If you want a keyboard protector for whatever reason this is the best one out on the market right now because of it's thinness and transparency.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Trackpad sheet fails, do not use it. U'll find out why once u use it for a bit.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Your review has definitely sold me to get one, I just want to see that part sticking out... it doesnt seem that bad based on what you said. Do you think they may have done it on purpose so we can pull it off? Can't wait for the pics.. thanks again for all ur help. I wouldn't have even known what this is if you hadnt reviewed it!

By the way, do you think I need to buy more than 1 .. or will 1 be okay? I ask because does this clearguard scratch, blemish, get shiny, or smudge easily from the oily fingers we would have used on the keyboard itself? I know you can clean it but do you think it would have any permanent damage like the black mbp keys?

That crossed my mind as well but decided against it because: after a day you'll forget that it's barely hanging over, it actually helps you remove the skin by giving you an edge to pick up, and trimming it perfectly might be difficult.

If you want a keyboard protector for whatever reason this is the best one out on the market right now because of it's thinness and transparency.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I ordered one off amazon a few days ago and still awaiting for it in the mail. $25 or so shipped and coming via USPS rather than through the moshi site that takes longer for shipping.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
Any idea where to get a moshi clearguard in Toronto?

Or any Canadian suppliers

I checked out amazon and it would run me 80 dollars for the product after shipping....a bit pricey

you do know they ship to canada right? I just ordered 2 15" ones with expedited shipping for $62 shipped to calgary.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
it cost $23 after shipping thru moshi.. and takes a week.. but i wont have my new mbp till feb 19 when it ships :-(

I ordered one off amazon a few days ago and still awaiting for it in the mail. $25 or so shipped and coming via USPS rather than through the moshi site that takes longer for shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.