Mosquito Bite!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BreakGuy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Some damn mosquito bit my on my ankle last night. It's now swollen and itchy as fudge. Anyone got any tips of how to take care of it as insect creams aren't working.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Tried benadryl in cream? i've never used anything tho, too many mosquitos down here, you just get used to it :S

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Yuck. Better hope not.

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Don't know if it's still available, but when I was a kid cammomile lotion was what my Mom used to use.

We lived out of NYC on LI, and I used to get bitten to pieces.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

From Fruit Ninja: If you rub the inside of a banana skin on it it'll stop the itching.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Commiserations. I feel your pain. As it happens, they love me and I hate them - a most unfortunate combination. Mosquitoes bite many people but only some (of us) get the violent allergic reaction which you describe.

Personally, I use tea tree oil (neat) on the swollen, hot, itchy bite sites. I also use citronella to deter them; a charming English (ethical, organic) company named Alfresco make a wonderful (natural) cream which deters the airborne horrors. These days, I never travel anywhere without it.

Cheers

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The red spots on my skin are only just recovering after a couple of days where I just had to do that little bit extra outside before it got too dark. This was a week and a half ago. I counted about 10-12 bites...that I could see.

Some nights I try sheer willpower to not scratch. And it works until I scratch one...then they all cry for attention.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

After a bite, clean it on and set a topical steroid on it. 1% hydrocortisone is as strong as you can get OTC in the U.S. Much more potent ones are available with prescription.

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

antihistamines will help reduce the swelling and should help with the itching as well. But the stuff others have mentioned should help too.

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes - antihistamines are a good way to go. They'll just stop the bite from itching; it'll heal quickly enough without steroid cream.

12. Shrink, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Try "After Bite - The Itch Remover". It's a pen type thingy. Works great for me. Can be obtained in drug store OTC.

Edit: Ooops, just noticed you're an out of towner. It's an ammonia preparation. On the package, says it's distributed by:
    Tender Corp
    Box 290
    Littleton, NH.03561

I haven't Googled it yet. If I find it online, I will update this post.

Edit2:
    You can Google it locally, I'm sure. Here is a US site;
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/afterbite-original-itch-eraser/ID=prod393335-product

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Run hot water over it for a few minutes.

Not hot enough to scald, but hot enough so that it's uncomfortable.

14. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Pop it like a zit, and make a video and post it on youtube.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have you ever had the misfortune to suffer from an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite? If so, you would know that this is not what happens. Allergic reactions (and antihistamines are a good idea, but you may need a doctor's prescription in oder to obtain them) can lead to big, nasty, swollen, hard, hot and itchy bite sites. Physically, you cannot pop them.

16. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Woah woah. I lost you on 'an'.

It was a joke. sheesh.

17. 'Bmac macrumors regular

My Sweetheart says that toothpaste on the bite will help it heal. It's an old home remedy from Sydney, NSW.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

For various reasons, the *first* mosquito bite you get each season will invariably be the itchiest, most uncomfortable one you encounter all year.

Don't scratch it. I know this seems like impossible to take advice, but nothing good will come of it.

The best treatment will be to take one of the over-the-counter antihistamines. I like Claritin (apparently known as Claratyne in Kiwiland) Unlike other OTC antihistamines, it won't make you drowsy of sluggish, but do avoid drinking heavily. Try a topical hydrocortisol-based anti-itch ointment and reapply frequently as needed.

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I've had great results with this remedy. The first time I tried it, it was like a miracle cure.

BTW, I usually don't to product plugs, but ThermaCELL is the best thing I've ever used to keep mosquitoes away.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I never had great results with the various creams and remedies, though I've tried them all at some point or another while I've been out in the woods. When I'm at home I find the most relief from strapping an ice cube to the bite and letting it go completely numb.

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

It works.

I've been bitten by a LOT of mosquitos of many different types in many different countries; I have access to and have used high potency corticosteroids such as betamethasone on mosquito bites.

None of them work nearly as well as just plain hot, near (but not quite) scalding hot water for five minutes.

22. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I've been putting ice on the bite. It eases the itchiness and heat for a while.

Again tonight I've been nearly eaten alive by what looks like the entire mosquito community. Was told to apply vinegar to the bites. So far that's taken the itchiness out.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Get a friend to suck out the poison.

Depending on the location, this may require a VERY good friend.

24. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Fortunately I wasn't strolling around with my pants down so thankfully for them it's not required.

Just a follow up to the vinegar solution, I'm surprised how good it works. I was bitten about 5 or 6 times on my upper arm. I applied the vinegar and within an hour or two there's no sign I was bitten at all, as well as no itchiness or heat irritation.