Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I don't know who he is but I thought it was a good review. I'm excited for the new display now.

Reactions: friedmud

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I don't know who he is but I thought it was a good review. I'm excited for the new display now.

Walt essentially invented technology reporting. His reviews, columns, and podcasts are not as popular with this audience because he focuses more on describing technology and its uses to the lay person.

A few weeks ago at CES he was talking about how it was his twenty-somethingth year being there. Steve Jobs used to directly consult him and famously sought his approval of iTunes for Windows before releasing it. He's a legend.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Walt essentially invented technology reporting. His reviews, columns, and podcasts are not as popular with this audience because he focuses more on describing technology and its uses to the lay person.

A few weeks ago at CES he was talking about how it was his twenty-somethingth year being there. Steve Jobs used to directly consult him and famously sought his approval of iTunes for Windows before releasing it. He's a legend.

Very cool, thanks for the background info. I guess I do know who he is from the interviews he did with Steve Jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: gibby1117

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Fantastic reviews from Mossberg. If anyone was still on the fence about upgrading, they should be off it now and heading to Apple.com to make their purchases.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The review is nothing special.

He recommends it for the older iPads (Air and earlier), but said nothing for the Air2 owners.

If supporters are championing the Pro based on this review, I'd hardly brag.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I asked on a related thread...could any Apple supporters list an app that wasn't pencil related that the Pro 9.7" runs that the Air2 cannot.

I'm still waiting for an answer...

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I asked on a related thread...could any Apple supporters list an app that wasn't pencil related that the Pro 9.7" runs that the Air2 cannot.

I'm still waiting for an answer...

There aren't any. That would be why it is still the flagship "consumer-grade" model in the store. The whole point of the Pro model is the Pencil and Smart Keyboard support; both of which are considered "Pro" by Apple. If you're happy with your Air 2 (Assuming you have one) then just be happy and wait for the next iteration of the "consumer-grade" model (Air 3?) which could be released later this year. I assume that one will support 3D Touch instead of the Pencil and not have a smart connector. And it will probably stay cheaper than the "Pro" model. ($499 vs. $599 for the base model)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There aren't any. That would be why it is still the flagship "consumer-grade" model in the store. The whole point of the Pro model is the Pencil and Smart Keyboard support; both of which are considered "Pro" by Apple.

By the same token, if the pencil and smart keyboard are part of what constitutes an "iPad Pro"...why saddle the 9.7" w/only 2gb RAM?!

It may not matter now, but it doesn't bode well for the future.

And by putting 2gb in the 9.7", but 4gb in the 12.9", developers now are 'forced' to code for the lesser of the two.

It's a haphazardous situation at best.

Reactions: Wackery

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
By the same token, if the pencil and smart keyboard are part of what constitutes an "iPad Pro"...why saddle the 9.7" w/only 2gb RAM?!

It may not matter now, but it doesn't bode well for the future.

And by putting 2gb in the 9.7", but 4gb in the 12.9", developers now are 'forced' to code for the lesser of the two.

It's a haphazardous situation at best.

Bla blu bla RAM RAM RAM.

Is this all people talk about?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Why is that so difficult?

Who said it was?

And my stance on the Pro 9.7" is that when the price drops to $649 for the 128gb model, only then will I consider it. The base model is sorta priced right...not so for the next tier up.

I said as much in 2 threads.

Last edited:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The review is nothing special.

He recommends it for the older iPads (Air and earlier), but said nothing for the Air2 owners.

If supporters are championing the Pro based on this review, I'd hardly brag.

To be fair, he's been pretty critical of Apple as of late regarding design, hardware, and other things. He's not in thier pocket.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
That review read like a dreary Skymall product blurb, written by a frustrated ad man past his prime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.