Mossberg's iPhone 3G Review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dpw84, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

2. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Amazing how much clout Mossberg has. Good review on what will be a great product! Look forward to Friday!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

" if you synchronize with Exchange calendars and contacts, your personal calendar and contacts are erased."

boooo

5. Xplicit macrumors member

so does this mean, my phone wont last me from 12noon to supper 7pm.

Fcu:eek:k! - i wanted to listen to music on this phone, and phone, but now it will be brutal!

6. sananda macrumors 68020

i wasn't getting through the day with the battery on the old iphone so this isn't looking too promising.

7. shk718 macrumors 6502a

i wonder how he got apps on it if the store wasn't up and apple didn't provide them -

sucks about no cut and paste - didn't steve said he made a mistake about not providing that?

8. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yea sounds like the biggest gripe is going to be battery life, but then we knew that going into this with 3G. I'll probably want to get a car charger with this one.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why does he say the iPhone lacks Instant Messaging, and then a few paragraphs down he mentions AIM.

Also, your battery life will last you well over a day if you use it a lot if you turn down the screen, and turn off edge when unneeded.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Ok, this might sound weird, but from the review - it sounds like it would actually make sense day to day, to have 3G off, and use EDGE or wifi, unless needed. 3G is always draining - pity Mossberg couldn't do a side by comparison of battery life, doing 3G intensive things.

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

He means a native app made by apple like ichat

one thing that will also greatly reduce battery life is having the push sync turned on and the phone constantly connecting and receiving data. Even on my first gen iphone with autocheck turned on every 15 minutes the battery life was cut by alot

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

On a big plus side - the 2 problems of network and price - at least the UK doesn't have as much of a problem, with much better 3G coverage, and a HSDPA coverage potentially soon spanning over 1/8 of the UK population.

13. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

"I ran my own battery tests using the phone's 3G capability. Although I left the Wi-Fi function on, I didn't connect it to a network, so the phone had to rely on 3G. In my test of voice calling, I got 4 hours and 27 minutes, short of Apple's maximum claim and nearly three hours less than what I recorded in the same test last year on the original iPhone. In my test of Internet use over 3G, I got 5 hours and 49 minutes, better than Apple's claim, but far short of the nine hours I got using Wi-Fi in last year's tests."

Ugh.. I am very quickly starting to rethink getting a new iPhone vs. just updating to 2.0.. The only thing that kills me now, is bringing up mail while on EDGE, and it spinning off forever auto-checking on launch, meanwhile calls are being blocked. That right there is almost worth the upgrade alone. I really wish Mail had a "check mail" button, and wouldn't auto-check when it's opened. Sometimes I just need to open it to re-read an existing message, but don't because I don't want to deal with missing a call I'm waiting for. But sheesh, my battery life is lacking enough as it is.. :(

14. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

My biggest concern is battery life. Why doesn't Apple use changable batteries?

Will I be able to use the car changer I have for my iPod, and the USB cord to charge it from my laptop at work (also used for my iPod)? If I can, that would help a lot.

15. elbirth macrumors 65816

why is everyone so surprised about battery life? of course 3G is going to use up more power. and if it's not connected to a 3G network, of course it's going to use even more power trying to find one. Just turn it off. Then you can compare battery life to the original iPhone for real and see the true difference

16. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Come on people. Apple already said the battery life is gonna be worse on the 3G network. Why are you acting surprised?

17. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

But once you turn off 3G, guess what? You now have the original iPhone with 2.0 software.

18. elbirth macrumors 65816

that's irrelevant. people are complaining about the iphone 3g having worse battery life than the original. it's unfair to compare the battery life of a phone using 3g with that of a phone on edge

19. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I wasn't complaining about battery life--I said I was concerned and asked if my car charger and USB to laptop cord that I use for my iPod would also charge my 3G iPhone.

20. Nicholie macrumors regular

No, its perfectly fair to compare it. Its perfectly fair to scrutinize any phone, for any reason, that anyone may dislike it. Its up to the reader to validate and assess such scrutiny.

21. elbirth macrumors 65816

while that may be true, the readers are doing a horribly poor job of validating the arguments

22. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Plus GPS, better sound, yada yada.