Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
FearFactor47 said:
Also, I used to have a friend who would say 'them ones' instead of 'those ones' argh!

Bah, 2 more I can't stand.

They are like a mini paradox in two words;

These ones
Those ones
Them ones

All the same in my book.Why not just "these" or "this" ? :p :D

image.php

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Bob's your uncle. :rolleyes:

Oh, and my girlfriend hates when people say "finna" as in "fixing to". I do it now sometimes just to piss her off - "Hey, babe, let me call you back in a few, I'm finna take a shower and do some dishes..." :D

Linksgolfer84

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Wisconsin
I think the worst has to be confusing borrow and lend. It might just be a Wisconsin thing, but I hear people saying things like "Could you borrow me your car this afternoon?" It makes me go crazy! I even had teachers back in high school that would missuse the word!

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I don't know if this was previously posted (didn't read it all)

"Think different" - WTF? :confused:
"Think differently" - Bad grammar by Apple :confused:

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
blaskillet4 said:
I don't know if this was previously posted (didn't read it all)

"Think different" - WTF? :confused:
"Think differently" - Bad grammar by Apple :confused:
Not really. "Different" is used as an adjective, not an adverb.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
"Get your * on", e.g. "Get your freak on", "Get your war on", "Get your smack-upside-the-head on".

"Good to go". This phrase is so good to go... AWAY.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
xsedrinam said:
And I've ceased from using modernity's ruination and cheapening of "awesome", pwoimenantly.

I wish i had that kind of self control ... :eek:

But what if it's Wicked awesome! ??? :p

peace | neut

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you masschesetts people and the word "wicked" :eek:
and when young people say "thats tight" what's tight?..someone needs to do some shopping.
Canadians and kraft dinner... its Macaroni and cheese!!!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Actually, I've just thought of a couple more that irritate me (probably because I'm an obsessive pedant about such things)...

The term 'ice cold' to describe a chilled drink – now, I might not have been that hot at science at school, but surely if a liquid really were ice cold it would be, well... ice?

Another one is the term 'near miss' when there's nearly a collision – usually heard when a couple of passenger jets get too close. They didn't hit*each other – so surely it was a near collision?

The phrase 'you know' is also completely overused... I think the worst offenders are footballers. Sometimes, er, you know, when I'm watching one being, er... you know, interviewed I keep count, you know, of, er, the number of times they, er, you know, say it. :p

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
ohcrap said:
Not really. "Different" is used as an adjective, not an adverb.

To which noun in the statement, "Think Different" is different referring? Different describes how to think, and therefore should be the adverbial form: differently. :)

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
tobefirst said:
To which noun in the statement, "Think Different" is different referring? Different describes how to think, and therefore should be the adverbial form: differently. :)

Aha! I knew I wasn't crazy!

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
puckhead193 said:
you masschesetts people and the word "wicked" :eek:
and when young people say "thats tight" what's tight?..someone needs to do some shopping.

who's from Mass? wicked tight! ... wicked phat? ;)

hella was sooo annoying when those Cali kids would use it in every single sentence that come out of their mouth. :mad:

jYeah! or Yeeaah! can become annoying very quickly ... :rolleyes:

... and people who say peace all the time. :p

peace | neut

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
tobefirst said:
Different is used to describe Apple's products, and it is those products that the slogan is suggesting you think about.

If the slogan for a car were "Think efficient", you wouldn't assume that company wanted you to think efficiently, would you? I would imagine you would understand that the car company wants you to think about it's product, which is an efficient car (like how Apple makes "different" computers). It is understood, then, that the car company is trying to also point out that most other cars are similar to each other in that they are not efficient. So when you get sick of fuel inefficient vehicles, you will think efficient and go with this company (or so they hope), in the same way, when you get sick of ordinary computers (probably Windows ;) ), you will "think different" and go with Apple. :D

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Chundles said:
"Should of" "Would of" "Could of" IT'S COULD HAVE!!

The phrase is "Should've, Would've, Could've" at least that's the way we Aussies say it :)

We also say "Have a good one" (another Aussie phrase) meaning have a good day, afternoon, evening depending on the time of day.

I hate:-

"Whateva.."

"Sick man.."

"You go girlfriend"

"That's what I'm talkin' 'bout"

and "WOoT"

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Englishman here, but there's a creeping number of bad Americanisms which are becoming more prevalent in this country.

• "I could care less" - I'm sure you could, but what's your point?
• "A couple things" - you mean a couple OF things, right?
• "Just looking at pictures and ****" - since when did using the word "things" or "stuff" become unfashionable?

That's not to say we don't have our own linguistic issues - anyone who has seen Ali G will testify to that (and yes, people like him really do exist over here…). Generally though I find the annoying things are written as opposed to spoken. Such as:

• Knowing which form of your, you're, their, they're, etc. Schools here only need to explain that an apostrophe comes in place of dropped letters and the youth of this country may finally understand this for good - I'm on a journalism course here and the level of basic English in so many of the fellow candidates is shocking.
• I realise English is slowly becoming internationalised, but I still can't cope with realized instead of realised. And don't get me started on burglarized… :mad:
• When people don't realise that names of towns and people should be capitalised, it makes me want to scream.

To cap this off nicely, the attached picture is a sign I saw in a takeaway here in Stoke last year. It almost made me have an aneurysm there and then. Though it wasn't quite as annoying as showing this picture to friends and having to tell them what the problem was with it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC01413-small.JPG
    DSC01413-small.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 70

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
thequicksilver said:
.... Though it wasn't quite as annoying as showing this picture to friends and having to tell them what the problem was with it. :rolleyes:
I was going to ask, but then I got it. :D

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
ohcrap said:
Different is used to describe Apple's products, and it is those products that the slogan is suggesting you think about.

If the slogan for a car were "Think efficient", you wouldn't assume that company wanted you to think efficiently, would you? I would imagine you would understand that the car company wants you to think about it's product, which is an efficient car (like how Apple makes "different" computers). It is understood, then, that the car company is trying to also point out that most other cars are similar to each other in that they are not efficient. So when you get sick of fuel inefficient vehicles, you will think efficient and go with this company (or so they hope), in the same way, when you get sick of ordinary computers (probably Windows ;) ), you will "think different" and go with Apple. :D
Hmmm...you make a very good case. I had never thought of it that way. I'm not entire sure I buy it (How is it you know that Apple isn't asking us to think differently about computers, and not to think of their computers as different?), but it's a very good case, nonetheless. :)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
taeclee99 said:
conversate
Ah, you reminded me of two others that really bother me:
  • People who use the made-up word "convo" as a verb that means "have a conversation with" (e.g. "We need to convo with Gabe about the changes.")
  • People who refer to popular vacation spot Cabo San Lucas as "Cabo".

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
tobefirst said:
How is it you know that Apple isn't asking us to think differently about computers, and not to think of their computers as different?
Why would we need to think differently about computers? Most of us love computers, so I guess the only positive different feeling we could have is to love them more? :D

I would imagine that Apple put more thought into the slogan than that. :)

Note that this is all just my take on it, not backed up by any source other than my own perspective.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
tobefirst said:

I think in this case, "different" is an adjective that Apple wants you to associate with their products. If you have one word to think of when you think of Apple, think "different".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.