Most of you can't help - Keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kurolap, Jun 28, 2014.

1. kurolap macrumors member

I'm probably among the 1% of people or less that uses keyboard shortcuts, on my mac but also on my iPhone. What is a keyboard shortcut. you type in brb for example and you can have the system automatically turn that to be right back.

I have dozens of these shortcuts for things I write frequently. Phone number, email etc...

The problem:

With iOS7 it somehow used to sync the shortcuts from my backups or from my mac, now they're all gone and I've typed them out manually once and then they disappeared

The question:

Is there a way for iOS8 to sync the keyboard shortcuts with your mac or at least somehow save them so they don't get deleted all the time?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

10.10 has keyboard shortcuts. 10.9 doesn't. It'd be interesting if it does sync, but there are still a few betas to go before we find out.

I do the keyboard shortcuts too, except I use TextExpander.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, 10.9 does have keyboard shortcuts, and yes, they sync with iOS 7. I can't speak for iOS 8, as I'm not on the beta.

I've noticed the keyboard shortcut implementation is not completely reliable. Occasionally, frequently-used shortcuts will disappear from the list on one or more devices. On the Mac, sometimes a shortcut doesn't execute, even though it's there. I use shortcuts extensively on all my OS X and iOS devices, so it would be great if it were more reliable.
    I wish there was, but I don't know of any way to backup the keyboard shortcut collection and restore it.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

So they are. I never noticed that in 10.9. They're so much more apparent in 10.10. Thank you.

5. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

If you turn predictive text off, I've noticed keyboard shortcuts stop working and the section in settingsis blank.

Turning on predictive, restarting, toggling iCloud documents, seems to get it back working. I haven't investigated exactly why it stops working to reproduce it to make a bug.

6. brand, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

brand macrumors 601

brand

You are definitely among the 100% of people that make up statistics. That is unless you have proof that there is 1% of people or less that use keyboard shortcuts on both their Mac and their iPhone.

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

He's a 1 percenter.

8. iphonefan786 macrumors newbie

iphonefan786

have tried this but not working mate. have you come up with another fix yet as i have a couple of hundred shortcuts that are visible on my iphone 53 on 7.12 but will not transfer over to my iphone 6 ios 8. thanks in advance

9. GeoFan49 macrumors member

GeoFan49

Silicon Valley, SF Bay Area, California, USA
    KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS comings and goings, randomly and intermittently, reported sporadically on iOS 7.x and 8.x (just began, newly for me, as of 8.0.0 and 8.0.2 on my iPad Air) is really frustrating.

It seems to be thoroughly random and intermittent.

My own speculations: this is an iCloud server issue, or an iOS memory management problem.

Dozens of reports on discussions.apple.com (why does the search function work so poorly?)

Many others have the same problem. They say misery loves company. Does this help?

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts iOS 8
    Re: Keyboard Shortcut stopped working?
    Re: Keyboard shortcut problems in iPhone 5S with iOS 8 update
    Re: Keyboard Shortcuts still not working...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6581534

10. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

In my own research and fiddling around, it's an issue with iCloud under iOS 8. For some reason the syncing is causing the shortcuts to disappear. They aren't deleted, they just disappear. The only way to get them back (for a short period of time that is), you either have to restart your phone, or sign out and back into iCloud.

I don't believe it's a memory issue, as I've never had this issue under iOS 7. It only started happening to me when I updated to 8.x.x. And I've deleted quite a number of apps, and quit all of them. Leaving more memory on my phone than I had when I was on 7.

Hopefully Apple decides this is worth a fix, and fixes it sooner than later. Otherwise, I go back to typing in abbrv. lol And the Predictive Keyboard doesn't work as well as I'd hope it would. It's basically an "autocorrect v2". A little more accurate than 7. But not every "predictive". Was hoping it would pick up on the words I type, and brings it up. But it either doesn't, or takes quite a few tries to register.

11. CrazyJaney macrumors newbie

RE: “i have tried this but not working mate. have you come up with another fix yet as i have a couple of hundred shortcuts that are visible on my iphone 53 on 7.12 but will not transfer over to my iphone 6 ios 8. thanks in advance”

YES-same Krap here …I, too, have hundreds - thousands of shortcuts -(AND)- use Shortcuts also to REMEMBER things … wtF apple? Bin long nuff now!??? Seriously!!
    My Keyboard Shortcuts … >>They were there (after using Restore) wen xferred from 5c to 6 …then they jis disappeared! *Restored AGAIN* --double-checked---ey all there (last nite)—today = *GONE!* … Um sooo PIST! Wat-2-do? Anybody?? TIA!

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, that was rather hard to read.