Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I've been using Camino for most of my web browsing, but the most recent version has been unreliable in how it performs with Yahoo Mail, so I gave Google a spin. I like it lot but after a moderately busy day of browsing, it crashed. (I guess they all will, under the right circumstances.) Safari works okay most of the time, but it isn't always that zippy.

Speeds aside, which web browser have you found to be the most reliable, least crash-prone or glitch-prone among the available Mac browsers -- even if you prefer a different one for some other reason?

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Firefox has gotten really bloated over the years. Doesn't feel as fast anymore. Crashes occasionally too. I've switched over to safari and haven't had a problem since.

alexguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Firefox is bigger. But I am still using it. Just because some helpful plugins, such as easydragtogo and firebug.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
In my personal experience all of the browsers on OS X are pretty crash happy, but I'd have to say Firefox is by far the worst. The most reliable for me has always been Safari followed by Chrome.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Internet Explorer 6 is by far the best browser on Snow Leopard. It's super snappy...never crashed on me once.

Seriously thought, Firefox 4 has been pretty stable for me so far.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Chrome and Firefox have been equally reliable for me on my Mac. I just use Chrome because I like its features, but Firefox isn't too bad either. Safari just feels too bloated for me to use.

*edit* actually I have to say Chrome is more reliable because if something crashes, only that tab crashes. It doesn't bring the whole process down with it.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
For me. (For some reason I do use all 3 , dunno why.)

1.) Chrome - Can't recall it crashing ever.
2.) Firefox - Rarely Crashes. (Once a week?)
3.) Safari - Crashes 3-5 times a day. (Almost always Flash related.)

I should use Chrome exclusively,maybe I just need to remove Safari and Firefox from my dock.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have more browsers on my Mac than Carter has liver pills. These include Camino 2.0.7. With the obvious exception of Internet Explorer 5.2.3, none of my browsers are crash-prone. That said, Yahoo! Mail is a special case. For reasons that baffle me, Yahoo! supports specific browsers rather than browser engines like Gecko. It gives a warning that Camino is not supported. Despite the warning, Camino works fine with Yahoo! Mail. The only problem is Yahoo!'s annoying warnings and suggestions to download Firefox 3.6.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Safari has been so much more reliable for me since I ditched flash. Amazing how I went from 4-5 crashes per week to none.

That being said, everytime I read one of these threads I tell myself I'm going to download Chrome and try it out for a week or two. One of these days I'll actually follow through on it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Safari has been so much more reliable for me since I ditched flash. Amazing how I went from 4-5 crashes per week to none.

That being said, everytime I read one of these threads I tell myself I'm going to download Chrome and try it out for a week or two. One of these days I'll actually follow through on it.
Two comments:
  • Other than the incompatibility between some Flash content and the 64-bit version of Flash, I have few problems with it.
  • Chrome, it must be a switcher thing. I just don't get it. All these people say that Chrome is so-o-o-o-o-o much better than Safari. They are both WebKit browsers. How much better can Chrome be? I have yet to find anything in Chrome that I would call a "substantive difference." Suffice it to say, I see nothing in Chrome that I consider to be an improvement or anything that makes me want to switch. Chrome (see Placebo).

nicky0

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
England

• Chrome, it must be a switcher thing. I just don't get it. All these people say that Chrome is so-o-o-o-o-o much better than Safari. They are both WebKit browsers. How much better can Chrome be? I have yet to find anything in Chrome that I would call a "substantive difference." Suffice it to say, I see nothing in Chrome that I consider to be an improvement or anything that makes me want to switch. Chrome (see Placebo).

For me, the big difference is the unified search and address bar that Chrome has.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
In my personal experience all of the browsers on OS X are pretty crash happy, but I'd have to say Firefox is by far the worst. The most reliable for me has always been Safari followed by Chrome.

NOPE. I reguarly run Safari, Firefox, and Chrome side by side with up to 100 browser windows. OS X browsers rarely crash.

All browsers have flash blocker though.

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
At any given moment in time, one browser performs better/worse than another. Hence, I flip back and forth among Camino, Chrome, FF and OmniWeb. The saving grace is Choosy ( http://www.choosyosx.com/ ) which makes it one-click easy to select the browser I want on a per click basis, or via the defaults for certain situations/apps that I've configured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.