Most Ridiculous iPad 3 Rumor Yet - No 64 GB Model

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tones2, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Jezz - If I had a million dollars, I would bet that there is a iPad 3 64 GB model. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling though that this might have been a controlled leak by Apple due to the rumors that there might be a 128 GB model. So instead of being disappointed on announcement day by the fact that there won't be a 128 GB model, people will instead be relieved that there is a 64 GB model. Genius marketing scheme! :D

Tony

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I haven't seen any credible rumors about a 128GB version.

3. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

nope, 128gb wont probaly exist :(
    64gb, will ofcource exist.

4. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

i saw that rumour too and it's complete tosh as if Apple would stop selling their top end 64gb iPad

5. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess that I meant "consumer expectation". :)

Tony

----------

See. You already accepted that 128 GB won't exist based upon the rumor that 64 GB won't exist. If saying that the 64 GB rumor is nonsense, it negated the 128 GB possibility and thus your announcement expectation of that possibility. Exactly what Apple was trying for. A brilliant controlled leak. :)

Tony

6. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

no, 128gb wont exist(unless very unlikely) because those are expensive parts for apple. 2x 64gb is expensive. Second, they do like us to use icloud more and purchase additional storage for it.
    Third, no rumor ever gave the possibility of 128gb.
    Although ofcource the retina display will suck up alot more mb's. But i still think apple will not improve storage.

Ofcource the iphone 4s got a 64gb chip just like mine, but thats not that expensive because its one chip in the iphone. the ipad needs 2 of those chips.

Second i want to say that one one ever confirmed some rumor came out of apple.
    You think so, and alot of guys think so, but lets face reality, apple didnt do this.
    Its digitimes, with their crap rumors to get attention.

7. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I'd expect a 128GB iPad3 to show up... but I don't believe it will appear this year.

8. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

So why would people buy a 128gig iPad if it would cost about the same or more then a MacBook pro? ?

9. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

obviously, you dont know the costs of a macbook pro. Second, an tablet is not a macbook.

10. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

We didnt have 64 GB phones until 64 GB chips were available. Apple has now been using those chips for over 6 months now, thinking they won't put a pair of them in the iPad 3 is not really following their trends with regard to Iphones and Ipod touches (and now Ipads). With Apple still refusing to put a card slot on the device, they either need to increase the size of the devices storage or sell portable clouds (or both), and honestly if the chip cost were prohibitive, they could just as easily put 4 32 GB chips in the Ipad, unlike the iPhone or iPod Touch, there is lots of room in an Ipad (but this isnt necessary because the cost is basically a wash between the two options). I not only think we are going to see a 128 GB device, I think there will not be a 16 GB Ipad 3. I think that is too small memory for a device with a tablet screen and no card slot.
    -Tig

11. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

while it should happen, it will probably happen in the next generation after MBA's are upgraded to 128gb minimum on the 11 and 256 on the 13. Just because they should doesn't mean it will happen...plenty of us will buy it anyways even with just 16gb + price increase solely because of retina display and I wouldn't blame them.

12. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Where do you get a new MacBook pros for $699 or even $799? I'll take two.
    -Tig

13. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

lol it's only possible with OB @ BB. The base current gen 13 MBP could be had for 800, if I recall correctly.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That's a naive thought in my opinion.
    People are interested in the actual storage options of the iPad.
    They don't change their mind because expectations of the announcement's event include the worst ones.

15. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have no idea what this means. :)

Tony

16. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Why do you think it would have anything to do with the size of the SSD (if you choose SSD) that are available as a minimum on a MBA? Apple sells more Ipads in a week then MBAs in a quarter, I can't imagine why they would have MBAs and Ipads have any kind of relationship in that way. Apple is talking about the post PC era and the Ipad being the device for that. With 1080P HD movies coming in March from Itunes, and 4x the pixels on the screen with the retina display, not increasing space internally, externally or by cardslot is likely a big mistake. Some Android Tablets can already exceed Apples 64 GB storage with SDXC cards. Not sure I would let the competition have that advantage for an entire year.
    -Tig

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

HUH!!??:confused:

18. iEvolution macrumors 65816

This is the reason I went for an android tablet instead ... expandable space I am tired of apple's refusal to upgrade space on the ipad (and any ipod for that matter) we've been on 64gb for 3 years you cant tell me prices havent dropped in that time.

I doubt the 64gb model would be discontinued but I also doubt a 128gb is coming either.

19. hoofbite macrumors member

There has to be, the main reason I am getting an iPad3 is to get a 64gig.

20. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

128gb would also be a big step for apple, making no other device contain 128gb.
    But still, i say 80% chance apple wont implent this.
    Why is because:
    -no other tablet has more then 64gb even with decent sd card slot expansion.(not saying its impossible int he near future)
    -Expensive flash cards, yes even at this moment. 64gb is the best there is. 2 per ipad means pretty expensive.

Counter reasons:
    -Retina display making all images, movies ect double the size. in mb's, probaly twice as well.
    -Selling point.
    -Already 2 generations with no storage upgrade.

The thought: "people will buy it anyways", doesnt count. we know apple still wants to make a good product and stay ahead of potential competition.

21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The no 64GB is one of the most unbelievable rumors.

Apple is far more likely to drop the 16GB than the 64GB.

Wouldn't it be far more believable for it to be...

iPad 2 16GB
    iPad 3 32GB
    iPad 3 64GB

22. VinceDae macrumors regular

actually

Actually it wouldnt be SO weird if Apple stopped selling the 64gb - it only stands for 15% of iPad sells...

But ofc. they wont stop selling them, but still ;)

23. deeddawg macrumors 603

15%? That suggests the chances of a 128GB model are somewhere between slim and none. While I fully understand why some individuals want/need more than 64GB, if there's so little demand for 64GB units I doubt we'll see 128GB anytime soon.

24. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Apple are more likely to include a floppy drive in the iPad 3 than cull their most profitable SKU.

25. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Not true, SDXC cards are sellling at 256 GB and were shown in January at CES at 512 GB, so any tablet that takes a card can be much larger then 64 GB.

iPad doesnt use flashcards for storage, it uses flash chips, the same chips used in the Iphone and iPod Touch, and since the iPhone is now using a single 64 GB chip, the iPad which uses two chips should be able to support 128 GB.

Actually they are 4x bigger, twice as tall and twice as wide, thats why 16 GB iPad 3 is a pretty silly idea. The first two generations had 786,432 pixels the new display has 3,145,728 pixels (ie 4x as many) and so having that little room doesnt really make sense and anyone who has a 64 GB device mostly full now (me for instanc), and moves to a ipad 3 is going to feel constrained if a larger device isnt available.

Agreed and given the history of the iPhone and iPod touch of getting a larger version every other generation we would seem to be ready for a larger version.
    -Tig