Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eldudorinio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Hi and Happy New Year!

I did not seem to find any thread discussing this. If there is something that I have missed please let me know.

I am currently running OS X Lion on a late 2008 Macbook. I am upgrading the Macbook and will install a newer version of OS X as well.

I know that my question is very broad but:
Which would you recommend as the most secure and stable OS X version to upgrade to?

Thanks.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
You may not have much of a choice. I don't believe your computer will run El Capitan. The newest OS it will run is Yosemite. I don't think you can get anything older than Yosemite any more through the App Store.

Long and short. You may not have any choice but Yosemite. See what is available through the App Store.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You may not have much of a choice. I don't believe your computer will run El Capitan. The newest OS it will run is Yosemite. I don't think you can get anything older than Yosemite any more through the App Store.

Long and short. You may not have any choice but Yosemite. See what is available through the App Store.
Any computer that can run Yosemite can run El Capitan. The system requirements for OS X have not changed since 10.8 (Mountain Lion) was released.
If The OP's MacBook is an aluminum one, it can run 10.11, otherwise it is stuck on Lion.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
All versions of Mac OS are very secure but El Capitan would be far more secure now because Lion is no longer supported (or patched) by Apple, and El Capitan has now added yet another significant layer of protection in System Integrity Protection (SIP).

Reactions: eldudorinio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.