Most shocking thing that has happened in your town/city?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hbk48942, Jan 26, 2015.

1. hbk48942 macrumors newbie

i will start with

a girl got stabbed in a park about 7 years ago and 2 teens died in a car crash about 6 years ago.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Bombings, dictatorships, genocide, terror attacks, several wars, just to mention a few.

Can't really make my mind up what would be considered the most shocking.
    I'd say genocide, because that was unusually nasty.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I would have to say the North Hollywood shootout

If you look on YouTube there's even a full length special from National Geographic detailing the entire incident!

A couple really bad earthquakes here too but that's just another day of the week ;)

5. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

in last decade or so? two crackpots deciding to try and 'martyr' themselves by setting themselves and their car full of gas cylinders on fire and crashing it into the local airport on outskirts of town.

going back further 1929 panic in a cinema during a childrens movie saw 71 killed in the ensuing crush :(

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

7. kds1, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

kds1 Suspended

kds1

September 11th, 2001. I had a view of the towers, and then I didn't. Huge black columns of smoke, and the smell of fire hung in the air for what seemed like a few weeks. People choosing to burn alive or jump 100 stories. We know what many chose. Two airliners crashed into the towers, body parts found on roofs of buildings, a jet engine in the street in the finacial district. Hell and horror.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I must say that in all of twelve posts you seem to have developed something of a history in starting rather strange threads (threads which I note are rarely returned to subsequently).

10. satcomer, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

There was a fire at a warehouse that made farmer fertilizer and they had to evacuate everyone in my small town (about 1400 souls) at three o'clock in morning. I was small at the time and remembered being taken to my Aunts farm place deep in country side after my Dad (a voluntary fireman) came to the door to tell my Mother to get us out about thirty minutes minutes before the offical evacuation order went through and it it lasted about two days.

It took them about two years to find the cause and teardown the burned out building.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hmmm, I'd have to say President Kennedy's assasination. Can't think of anything more shocking that's happened in Dallas.

12. srltzz342 macrumors member

They built a starbucks down the road... that was pretty intense.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Two planes left Boston to be hijacked and flown into two skyscrapers :(

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

A sniper climbs to the top of Texas Tower and starts shooting.

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

RCMP Officer gunned down by someone not taking their meds. Very sad. Otherwise, pretty boring little town and was the only thing to really happen in last 50 years.

16. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

My dog barked at a neighbour who was lurking in the bushes, then he had the audacity to tell me to keep him on a lead. Bloody perv.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

They built an In-n-Out there. That has to be shocking enough. :p

I tend to look at this not as a tale of shock and horror, but of triumph over tragedy. My point: my wife's guide dog came from the same place (in fact, their litters housed in the same area) as Michael Hingson's guide, Roselle. For those not in the know, Michael Hingson was the manager at Qualcomm computing who had offices on Floor 78, Tower 1. He was also in charge of emergency procedures for his floor. When the planes hit, with the help of Roselle, he got his entire floor down all 78 flights of steps, and 4 blocks away before Tower 1 fell.

Amazing feat for a blind man and his dog. :) I believe they were both given the Presidential Medal of Freedom for their work.

That, plus Scott Ian of Anthrax, worried about the future of his band (because Anthrax had been delivered all over the place), visited the WTC site and some workers there. Those workers told him to not give up and don't change their name, because if they did, the terrorists would win...

From there, were graced with Anthrax's "We Aren't Changing Our Name" tour.

Anyway, Hingson put out a very good book about his tale, in Thunder Dog, which is out at various outlets. I believe Ian's tale is documented in his book, I'm The Man.

As for my town.. this is Las Vegas.. the better question to ask is: What is the LEAST shocking thing to happen in your town?! :D

BL.

18. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

mayor machinegunned down, probably for not paying his 'debts' :D

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's not shocking. That's just another day in a large city. Do you live in Amish country or something?

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Maybe just underground.....

21. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

My old boss turned out to be a pedophile who had raped both his daughter and step daughter. It was shocking to everyone because he was a very involved and upstanding member of the 2000 person town that I lived in -- belonged to the volunteer fire brigade, coached soccer at the primary school and all that...

22. LizKat, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I live in a rural area where a "shocking" event is on a different seismic scale than that referenced by some of the other posts here. I mean we're fairly shocked around here if some cow doesn't come home to get milked.

So I must turn to the nearest city for anything shocking enough to make a newspaper. I guess the suicide by gunshot of the mayor of Oneonta last October was the most shocking thing in my recent memory. He was such a high achiever, so well liked and respected. Everyone who ever knew him even slightly may have been shocked. One may never know what private demons may seem to make the path forward impossible for another person. Nothing to do after that but honor his life and try to move forward ourselves in a way he'd have appreciated.

23. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Anyone here old enough to have been living in San Francisco when Dan White shot and killed Mayor Moscone and Board of Supervisors member Harvey Milk?