"Most smartphones behave exactly the same way"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Jul 17, 2010.

1. wongster41 macrumors regular

No steve, nice try on blurring the lines between iPhone 4 and the rest of the smartphones out on the market. I can understand cupping/deathgripping your smartphones will cause the bars to drop, but I can't think of another smartphone that will stop transmission to a halt by simply moving your finger over the 'weakspot' as shown in the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmXrVNeGzs&playnext_from=TL&videos=NyBkeUX7zp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzn8QhrYIvI&playnext_from=TL&videos=akZbxrK-5i4

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not wrong, but bending the truth. Yes other phones do lose some signal when held, but as tests have shown from CR and antesys (sp?) is that the iPhone 4 lose more signal, I think they said other phones -14 db, while the iPhone is -24 db.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

maybe you should avoid the weak spot.. problem solved

4. hipvamore macrumors regular

yeah why dont you just stop holding it that way. problem solved.

5. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

so you're telling me other smartphones behave the same way with just one finger over the weakspot?

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

do you hold the phone with just one finger :confused:

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you can hold a phone and use it with one finger?:confused:

8. menomano macrumors member

why are you being obtuse? your pinky can easily rest on that spot and cause this issue.

Apple didn't respond to this aspect of the problem at all.

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I'm glad there's another thread about this. I was just thinking that there probably isn't enough discussion, so I hope someone starts another thread on the topic. Now we just need a few more so the entire topic list is nothing but threads on this very topic. Who wants to start the next one?

10. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, the ignorance in this forum. I do a lot of web surfing on my phone and I usually web surf via landscape. My index fingers usually cover the top of the phone (the weak spot) in landscape.

11. The Governor macrumors regular

I think you just volunteered.

12. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Hehehe...I was being facetious. :)

13. svndmvn Guest

I don't remember many people complaining because of the microphone and the speaker being on the bottom, that's an easy spot to block with a single finger.. same thing with the iPhone 4, if you really have issues with it and you can't help but grip it like that and keep your palm around that corner just return it, the design is not good for you, a lot of people will probably be ok with it.

14. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

The fact that steve said "exactly" means his statement is wrong.

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

My point is... move your pinky

go into landscape the other way so your index finger is on the right side of the phone instead the weak spot?

16. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Wait, you mean it doenst "Just Work" like other apple products? I need to get something else to make it work? sadness

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

A large amount of iPhone owners don't have Macs, so they don't understand the concept of "it just works." They've settled for Windows and settled for the iPhone 4.

18. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

"Just works" is just a catchy slogan. You know perfectly well that moving your finger should be an acceptable solution if you know your product will have issues otherwise.

I liken it to getting used to the on screen keyboard.

19. Brisby macrumors newbie

I believe we should all just take a step back and chill out on this antenna issue. Yes Apple made a mistake with placing the antenna on the outside of the phone but I think we're blowing this whole thing out of proportion. My phone exhibited the same antenna problems like every news article says but I realized that its just a phone, I put a case on it and now everything "Just works" albeit not as advertised.

Although there is that Apple fanboy in me that says this is completely unacceptable, I'm very happy this happened because I think Apple now realizes that they are not invincible. I think right now going forward longtime Apple followers, and newcomers alike, should take a cautionary route when the next iPhone comes along and until then enjoy the current handset (flaws included) and have fun with all of its new features.

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Seems that everyone is a ****ing antenna engineer these days...

21. xmtgx macrumors regular

How the hell is that ignorance. You dont use a phone with 1 finger, you hold it in your hand. Other smart phones have the same effect when you hold it in your hand. Maybe not with one finger but that doesnt matter since you dont use it with one finger.

22. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Whats ironic to me is yes, it does have the greatest amount of attenuation when held in a specific way, but it's an EXTREMELY specific way, and it is far easier to avoid than any other phone's attenuation issue.

Show me how to hold a phone comfortably without touching the back of it.

23. wreckshop macrumors 6502

No one holds a phone with just one finger. but fingers are connected to something called a "hand" which has a pretty good chance of touching that magic spot :)

24. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I hadn't noticed until yesterday, but my Nexus One loses 2 full bars of signal (4 max) when I hold it in the palm of my hand... even with a case on it.

Have they scheduled the Google / HTC press conference yet?

I'll cry myself to sleep every night until someone apologizes to me for this violation of my fundamental human rights :mad: :mad: :mad: