Most underrated car you've ever driven?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G51989, Mar 15, 2014.

1. G51989, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

As you know I am a car guy, love cars and everything about one.

[​IMG]

So, today I test drove a Cadillac XLR-V, which I have mocked since the day it came out. But I saw one for a very good price. Took it for a test drive.

I was totally impressed by its very good handling for an American roadster, the engine sounds incredible, the manual shift on the transmission is instant with a very well made interior, pretty much everything about this car I loved. So much.... I won't babble around

I bought it! And decided to keep my Corvette as well. ( Pic is not mine, I do not post personal pics on the net, including FB )
    Never been so surprised by a car. I drove it all day, it doesn't have the raw speed of a true sports car or crazy AMG Benz, but its still an awesome car to drive.

What cars have you driven that were surprising?

2. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

I want to drive those kind of cars too one day. What do you do for a living? (if you don't mind me asking)

3. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I run my own business.

I should mention, this is not a new car, they have not made these cars for a few years, the used one I bought has 21,000 miles on it, and is in show room condition.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Congratulations on the new car, and the Corvette. Corvette's are my favorites.

5. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Thanks!

It's my first impulse buy ever for a car of this price range, I was blown away by how refined it was. Its going to be a good DD in the summer when Im not using my Vette.

And yes, I have a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible, I highly suggest you buy one, great car and I love mine, had it 2 years and I've already put 61,000 miles on it.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I had a 1978 Silver Anniversary Edition and my father owned a 1987 coupe and currently has a 1990 convertible with hardtop.

7. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Business must be good, congratulations. Let me know when you post a pic of the Corvette.

I used to own a 92 Nissan 300zx (Fairlady). I loved the aesthetics and doing all the work on it myself. But since going back to school, etc I didn't have the time to work on it anymore and had to sell it. I would love to buy one again in the future.

8. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Badass man, I love all Corvettes, sure the 80s ones were a little gross.

Why did you get rid of the 78? Those are damn nice cars.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sold it to a friend who really wanted it.

As for the caddy, I have a funny story to share. I had another friend who was hired at the General Motors Tech Center and needed to get his toolbox into the shop. He asked me if I'd use my truck and trailer to bring it for him. I said sure, so long as they don't shoot at me when I drive my Ford F-150 in there.

When I pulled inside the shop with my Ford, everyone in the place was staring at us, with looks of bewilderment on their faces. Parked next to where I stopped, was a brand new Cadillac CTS-V all sharp and shiny looking, and not even on the market yet.

10. quagmire, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The XLR was decent, but it was half-assed. It was based on the C5 'Vette, and not the C6. Interior wasn't up to standards for a luxury sports car at the price, and the engines were ancient and was not allowed to be faster than the 'Vette.

It looks good and all and I am sure it drives fairly well being based on the Y-Body platform, but it was typical Old GM.

GM should bring back the XLR based on the C7 give it the LT4 standard and make a LT6 or whatever for a V thus making it faster than a 'Vette.

As for underrated vehicles I have driven, the current generation Buick Regal. It's the same car as the Opel Insignia and it drives really well. It is currently the worst seller for Buick, but deserves much better.

Also, still looking at getting a Stingray? Or has the XLR killed that? ;)

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The XLR-V doesn't look particularly underrated to me. If anything, it looks overrated.

How do you decide between what cars to drive given your large collection of them?

12. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I thought EXACTLY the same thing when it came out years ago, 100K was way to much, but you CANNOT think about this car like you do a sports car, and at 100K, total rip, but for the 46,000 I got this showroom perfect example, can't beat it.

Thought the same thing, and the XLR is deff old Gm, but the V has lots of upgrades, as well as a hand made French Interior, totally different animal.

I would disagree with that, but I have not driven an LT based car yet.

One of my employees bought one actually, seems like a very nice car for the price.

I will keep my Grand Sport until 100,000 miles, so another two years lol.

See, I think what you are doing is thinking that the XLR V is supposed to be a straight up sports car, and I agree for 100K is was to much, but I think if they launched it at...75K? It would have been great.

The engine is not something I can agree with, sure the 4.4 liter north-star with the supercharger is not "new "at all, the 4.4 is a totally different Animal, and it does not produce the same kind of power that the LS series engines do, a " meager " 442HP, But I will tell you, even compared to my 2012 Grand Sport, the engine is MUCH quieter and WAY more refined, very smooth and very quiet. I love it, it has plenty of power when you want to be naughty, and its refined, smooth, quiet and has a great powerband when you want it. It also does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and tops out at 175mph ( limited to 155 by the computer ), so its not exactly a slow car.

Its not a Corvette, and it isn't built to be one, its more a roadster, I can't wait to pound out roadtrips in this thing, its made to eat mile and after mile, its VERY comfortable inside. The suspension is MUCH softer and it has a better ride than any vette Ive been in, even my own. It also has a comfy interior, the transmission is automatic, but Ive found it very responsive.

It is a roadster, not a Corvette, two very different cars. And as I got a VERY good deal on one thats pretty much in show room condition.

For Roadtrips? And DDing around on nice days? I'll probably be driving it over my Corvette.

Is it half assed for 100K? Sure, but for 46k? Sold, that Supercharged Northstar feels European.

Cars are more than 0-60 times and Horsepower ;) 442HP is plenty fast enough in a DD and road trip car. Trust me. I LOVE my Vette and drive it all over the place. But on a cross country Roadtrip, you will want the XLR V convertible.

----------

Well, I feel it was an underrated car, it REALLY surprised me when I drove it, so much that I bought it, I honestly wasnt even looking to buy, but I was getting my Vette from its 60,000 mile service at the dealer, and saw the XLR V sitting there.

I would not call it " large ", I have a few classic cars, a few trucks, and some of my old cars.

Winter? The F350 is the daily driver
    Summer? The Corvette or the XLR V that I just bought
    Car Shows and lazy summer drive in movie evenings?: My 69 Camaro, or my 57 Thunderbird Convertible
    NYC: Normally my Vette or my Ford Ranger? ( being replaced by an F150 next year, as is the F350 )

13. Intell, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The most underrated vehicle I've ever driven is the NA Ford Ranger. People love to say they're underpowered, outdated, small, etc or they generally don't notice them. More so about the 2.3L 4 cylinder models than the more powerful ones. But those who say it usually change their opinion of them once they drive or ride in one. They're more light, bouncy, and fun than the bigger fuel inefficient trucks. There aren't many modern(-ish) North American vehicles that have fully swappable parts going back over 10+ model years. A pity Ford stopped making them, but I guess they can't keep 1998 around forever and I'll be stuck with my current one for years to come.