Most Wanted Safari 5 Extensions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gødspeed, Jun 9, 2010.

1. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

There are a lot of great ideas floating around of what extensions would make Safari 5 more useful. I figured it'd be worthwhile to put up a single thread that compiles a list of ideas ranked by popularity. I'll start it off:

(4 votes) Keyword search
    (3 votes) Tabs on top
    (3 votes) Unified Search & Address Bar
    (2 votes) Alphabetized bookmarks
    (2 votes) "DownloadThemAll"
    (1 vote) Enhanced GMail notifier (with email preview)
    (1 vote) Torbutton
    (1 vote) Bookmark search in search bar
    (1 vote) StumbleUpon
    (1 vote) Tab-specific mute
    (1 vote) Tab locking functionality
    (1 vote) Center button autoscroll
    (1 vote) Ask where to save each download
    (1 vote) Download window overlay
    (1 vote) Download status bar
    (1 vote) FlashBlock / ClickToFlash
    (1 vote) Bookmark syncing with FireFox

To get an accurate popularity ranking, please also vote on ideas you like that have already been mentioned.

updated to post #17

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Safari has always needed bookmark keyword and keyword search support (like in Firefox).

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I don't think 2 can happen. The API doesn't support altering the search bar. So, no inquisitor. :(

4. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

No, but you can disable the search and address bars. I would assume that someone could write a completely new search bar? So the default one wouldn't be modified, but be disabled and completely replaced.

5. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

There are definitely already some task-specific search bars (like this one, for Amazon.com), it's not too hard to imagine one that replaced the built-in address/search bar. But then I reckon there'd be no access to the normal history search?

6. Iglio macrumors regular

I NEED tabs on top and integrated search+address bar...Chrome has popped my tab/integrated bar cherry and now i can't go back

7. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I just want stumbleupon and all-in-one sidebar

8. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

A keyword search extension is what I am looking forward to. I use Chrome (and before that, Firefox's) keyword searching heavily at my job and need it if I were to ever switch to Safari full time. Hopefully it is possible.

9. Emsmu macrumors newbie

I want an extension that will allow me to mute the sound of individual tabs. I wonder if it's possible? I hate when I have multiple tabs open and there is a page that has music that I can't mute, and it plays over whatever music I was already listening to. And overriding mute button for separate tabs would help me a lot.

10. BeyBitch macrumors newbie

Locked Tabs

I would love an extension that would allow you to lock a tab, so that it cannot be closed without <Right-click, unlock tab>.

If your someone like me with bad internet speeds, there have been many times while buffering a video so i can watch it, i have accidently closed it down!! :eek:

11. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Keyword search is alpha and omega for me. Can't live without it!

12. EmbraceNext macrumors member

First:
    For the OS X version I want the center button auto scroll feature like Firefox.

Second:
    Alphabetize bookmarks.

Third:
    Have it default to ask you where you want to save downloads each time if you wish.

13. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

I totally second that. I'm using Safari 5 now because it's new and looks to be faster but Chrome is a lot more productive.

14. aleszylder macrumors newbie

1. "Bookmark Star Icon" like Chrome/Firefox (basic!)
    2. Alphabetize bookmarks.

15. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

download them all (FF plug) (right click and download chosen media by extension)

download window float on top!
    or downloadstatusbar (FF plug)

16. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Extensions that might make me consider leaving Firefox for Safari:
    - Adblock (already exists as "AdBlock for Safari")
    - FlashBlock/ClickToFlash (exists as a plugin, but not as an extension)
    - DownThemAll or similar
    - Keyword bookmarks (exists as a plugin called Keywurl but not as an extension)
    - Some sort of bookmark syncing between it and Firefox on my Linux machine.

But the developer support so far has been amazing! I definitely think Safari will grow a lot now :)

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

My biggest pet peeve (and hopefully someone will make an extension) is that the address autofills include website title's; I'd prefer it didn't, like Safari 4.

For example, if you go to KFC.com its title is "Welcome to KFC." Now every time you go type "W" it brings up the KFC site. I'd rather KFC come up if I was typing the letter "K"

18. MSTRKRFT macrumors regular

Tabs on Top

Gmail/Gvoice Notifier

UNified Search and URL

A quick search of a wikipedia without switching places like wikipedia companion.

19. celticpride678

The ability to search Google through the address bar. I know KeyWurl is available, but I don't want to run SIMBL all the time...I just want a Safari extension.

20. Matthew. macrumors regular

An email notifier that supports multiple account types, much like Webmail Notifier for Firefox.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Tabs on top

Better developer tools (something similar to Opera's DragonFly)

Custom Search Engines

Something similar to Opera sync

Something similar to Opera Turbo (this isn't that important, but it is very nice)

Handle Torrents

22. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Just give me a port of Firefox's stylish, or something even remotely similar, and I'll be a happy man. That, and maybe a frame hider companion for Adblock so I can fix the empty spaces created by blocked ads.

23. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Is the api supporting bookmark management options?

24. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Another one of your typical irrelevant posts trying to portray apple as lacking in features support for safari. Custom search engines are already there with glims, so with the extension api out there, this is all the more so a non issue. Opera sync is there, and it's called mobile me. Opera Turbo is something particular to opera (which I love and admire as a great browser btw) that won't be coming any time soon to safari because it's supposed to be the mobility component of opera which is primarily a mobile browser platform, and safari is not. There are plenty of torrent software, excellent and open source ones for the mac, no reason to incorporate that in the browser, because there is no reason why you should have a browser open to run torrents, these are separate processes and unrelated ones.