Motorola Atrix is the future!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

The idea is so good that it might actually replace laptops and netbooks,

Mobile phones are becoming more and more powerful, they are catching up to laptops, it's a good time for companies to capitalize on the next big thing... a mobile/desktop hybrid like Atrix...

When a phone is on it's own it should run a mobile phone UI but when you dock it with a screen, mouse and a keyboard, or a docking laptop, it should boot up or switch to the full OS. Mobile UI and the "desktop OS" should be able to "communicate" with each other like it is on Atrix... if you have tabs opened in mobile Firefox, when you dock they should be open up in full desktop Firefox and visa versa.

That really is a killer idea by Motorola and IMO a natural progression for mobile phones, Apple and especially Microsoft should capitalize on that immediately.

Microsoft, if they are smart will copy Motorola Atrix with Windows 8, they already confirmed that Windows 8 will support ARM architecture meaning that they are thinking about it, their Windows Phone 7 is failure, now is their chance to capture the mobile segment and dominate both the desktop and the mobile arena and it's the same for Apple, they are dominating the highend mobile segment and it's their chance to dominate on the desktop segment aswell. Microsoft wants to capture the mobile, Apple wants to capture the desktop.

Imagine having the REAL desktop power in your hands... on the go you are using the mobile iPhone UI, once you reach your office, you dock your phone to a docking station and on comes up full OSX desktop with all the desktop applications and all the tabs and info you might've opened when you were on the go.

Isn't that just a brilliant idea? It could really be a laptop and a netbook killer! Who would buy a laptop anymore when you have the same power and the OS experience on the mobile that is more compact, flexible and always with you?

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Personally, I don't care for the idea. It'd make sense if you went to a hotel, hooked up your smartphone to the public monitor and BAM! it's your computer, but I don't want it entirely replacing my system. When you're on the go, yes, everything else, no. Just my $0.02.

3. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

I just saw the Atrix and what it is about.

I will tell you that for sure I won't buy it. Biggest reason is it's something i will never need (to dock the device) - I'm not making the Atrix look stupid but it's just something that I won't need and therefore won't pay no matter how cheap.

Motorola products are junk - after the Razr FAD faded, they have never produced a good solid phone. Their Xoom product looks good on VIDEO and in theory - but we'll see how it works in real life.

Apple iPad is out already and have sold MILLIONS. These moto products are even out yet and everyone is claiming they will kill off the iPad. Put your money where your mouth is and prove it's worth your hard earned dollar!

4. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'm not saying that Motorola will kill Apple or Microsoft, I'm just saying that Apple and Microsoft should pick up the great idea, Apple for sure would do it right.

If the iPhone could fully replace your a laptop as well as serving as a mobile phone, wouldn't you buy it?

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I think MotoBlur already killed the phone (at least for me). It seems that with LG, Samsung and Mot, you either love em' or hate em'. The build quality varies between the three, but I think HTC rules them all IMO (excluding Apple, of course). ;)

6. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

ONLY if that device was powerful enough to rid my desktop/laptop - but I don't see it happening with the ATRIX - sure it's a 1st step but that's the problem with most of these company's - just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Like the above poster said above, I can see it being used as in terminal access - like at a hotel, etc. But bring the phone and the "shell" is really not as ideal as say a very thin light laptop (apple macbook air) - but of course more performance power to do it all (photoshop, video editing, etc) - that is what I'd want to have.

7. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I think the atrix is an awesome idea, and am with you thinking it could be the future. My only reserves about it right now are the motoblur, the fact that it's on 2.2, and the camera. I use my the camera on my iPhone all the time, and from what I've seen, motorola doesn't have good camera/software and right now the atrix can only shoot 720p, which is good, but it's counterpart the bionic can shoot 1080p. I'd like to see what will comes out this summer and how these cameras actually perform in real life, as I've been very impressed by the ip4s camera.

8. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

+100

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed.
    I'm not interested in having such device serve as my computer (even if its my portable).

10. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I am contemplating between an Motorola Atrix 4G or BlackBerry PlayBook in March. The Xoom is also very tempting because of Honeycomb and Tegra 2. Another tablet that caught my eye was the Notion Ink Adam because it looks to be affordable and the battery life is like 16 hours! The Nintendo 3DS should also be released in March here in the States, but I may hold out on that one. Some MARCH MADNESS for sure. Then after I buy one, will save enough for a PSP2 later in the year. Lots of cool toys in 2011! I have no interest in the iPad 2 or iPhone 5. I think Apple got blindsided by their competitors and I don't see them having enough time to reload to answer back within 6 months. Maybe next year, but not in 2011.

Atrix looks to be trailblazer of a phone and gives me basically an option turning it into a desktop/laptop to eliminate the urge of getting an tab. But then,QNX looks so slick compared to Honeycomb even if I prefer Atrix/Xoom's chipset more. And the batt life on Atrix/Xoom look to be superior than RIM's tab. Atrix should cost me about $400 if I plan to pay the upgrade fee and it starts at $200. The low-end PB (WiFi version) should be the same price. I can demote my iPhone 4 as a back-up phone/iPod touch. I hope Motorola updates their phone because I hear Samsung is not doing so with their Galaxy phones here in the States and alot of people are complaining.

From a hardware standpoint, I like Atrix 4G and Xoom more because of batt life and Nvidia. From a software standpoint, I think QNX beats the crap out of all OSes out there and looks more optimized for dual-core than Android right now. They copied Palm's innovation, but RIM gave it better hardware and improved on the multi-tasking. Could be a photo finish with my final decision in March.

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

No.

You have to at least try. Without that first step and trail and error first, we would never know how tech can evolve. The NES looked to be a flop here in the USA back in the mid-1980's and it resurrected the market here in the US after the crash. The Beatles got rejected many times before their record deal. Give props Moto for at least trying. It is like trashing all touchscreen devices in 2006. But without those proper early steps, we would never have an iPhone. Sometimes, there really is no such thing as a completely original idea. You just build on other ideas and make it work. Apple does it best and then calls it "revolutionary" and "magical" in all their ads and keynote.

Whether it gets improved by Apple or Microsoft is anyone's guess. But idea is out there for them. This idea is very similar to Celio's Redfly from three years ago. Moto is just trying to mass market the idea with the Atrix.

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I stopped reading there. You serious? WP7 a failure?

Hahaha!

If you looked at it like a regular non-biased person, the WP7 has way more momentum at launch than any other platform, whether it be Android or iOS. It had the best start, selling way more units than the iPhone 2G ever did, and in only two-three months. Please go do some research.

Ugh.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm sure apple is scrambling to make a phone that would make their iPads, Macbooks and iMacs obsolete.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No, it's not. I don't want to dock my phone in order to get work done. A tablet is a better replacement for a laptop.

16. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

It's very well known that WP7 phones sold very, very badly.

They had an initial push but do you see any manufacturer releasing a new WP7 phone? While new phone with Android gets released every month.

I have yet to see anybody holding a WP7 phone.

17. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

This is one of those features that has me wondering what anybody would actually use it for? If I'm at home, I'm already on a computer far more powerful than any cell phone, I'd rather Apple focus on more relevant stuff.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

WP7 was a failure at launch.

I purchased a Samsung Focus running WP7 for one of my parents and right off the bat realized that you could not even sync the contacts with MS Outlook! WTF!:eek:

Here we got a brand new Windows phone app that does not talk to OutLook! LOL! POS!:p

19. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

One minute from now is the future too. I'd hate to be in your future if you get excited about docking a phone with a laptop shell/display.

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Same here. Like I said earlier about the hotel situation, that's the only thing I'd want it for.

MotoBlur is gonna suck, dude. Just sayin'.

It's not a bad idea, but this is more of an Android "extra". Not something that is absolutely necessary, but a neat concept. I would like to see Apple give it a try though...

Where's your proof, sir? It's been rather lackluster from the start. Don't be a fanboy. http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ort_as_carriers_tire_of_too_much_android.html

Exactly. It wouldn't make much sense, considering they're a giant computer company.

+ 1. Extra screen space that is multi-touch.

Neither have I. I do like the idea of WP7 though. It's not trying to copy anybody, and is trying to be original - I just haven't seen anyone using it yet. Maybe when it hits CDMA carries like Verizon?

Agreed.

Yup. :D

Still, it's a cool idea.

21. seajay96 macrumors 6502

When a phone is capable of running Final Cut Pro on a full size screen without the processor melting through the case, I might consider the "Atrix" concept as a possibility. Until then, Apple has nothing to worry about.

22. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

What happens when I break my phone or lose it?

Don't think the powerful phone is ready for prime time in this regard. User's still need their info readily available. Because of this, if I have to have additional hardware to plug my phone into to get it to work, then I might as well just not have it at all. A docking station to sync is all that is required IMO.

23. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Again, WP7 devices have had more units sold after 2 months of release than the iPhone 2G did in its lifetime. They have accumulated more apps in 2 months than Palm did in 3 years, and Apple/Google did during the same time span. It's an entirely new platform and is doing amazingly well despite that fact.

Just cause you hate "m$ yo" doesn't mean they'll go away. ;)

24. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

While I believe the Atrix is a good look into the future of portables, there is a bigger problem that must be addressed.

In 2001, Steve Jobs described the transition of the personal computer into a "digital hub." Steve was absolutely right. The personal computer is now used to sync all of our other devices.

The problem over the next decade will be the management of all of these devices.

Today, we have to plug in our devices to our computers in order to sync our music, pictures, apps, and other things. There are cloud options such as MobileMe, DropBox, and Google, but those are very limiting and require various app downloads and set up procedures. However, they are all very good attempts at fixing the problems that we are beginning to have.

First off, let me say that desktops aren't going anywhere. Students still use them for writing papers and doing extensive research. Business people still use them for powerful productivity products such as Microsoft Excel. Art people still use them for photo and video editing. The large screen(s), power, and physical keyboards (at least for now) are the main selling points of these products. In the future, the large screen may be the only selling point.

I envision the desktop as a continuation device and the primary storage device for all of our devices. It absolutely is a mass storage device today, but let me continue.

Everything I do on my phone, tablet, notebook, and desktop should all be in sync at any given moment. No more partial syncs or syncs that outdated. The desktop will be the device that stores all of the information and backs it up if the user chooses to do so. This concept is slightly hard to describe, so let me use some examples and smaller concepts:

1) My experience should be uniform. I know there are many operating systems out there for both desktops and mobile devices, but there should be a way to unify the experience to that limitation. My desktop and laptop of the same operating system should give me the same experience. All programs should be available (or you can customize it and exclude programs on certain devices), all documents, icons, etc. should be organized in the same exact way. I shouldn't have to worry that my desktop contains a different version of a file than my notebook. Mobile devices will all share the same programs (if they are available), layout, and access the same exact files.

Example: I am in class and I'm taking notes on my notebook or tablet device. When I save the file, a copy should automatically be sent to my desktop and become available on all my other devices. Each save will update the file.

Example: Bookmarks, contacts, etc. should all be synced automatically and backed up on the desktop. This service is pretty much available today with very little work required through MobileMe and Google, so its a good first step.

2) Signing into a computer as a guest should allow me to use my mobile device to temporarily load my desktop. All my documents, files, and settings would appear as if it was my own computer.

3) App purchases are no longer registered to a PC. Instead, they are registered to a user. Apple is doing a great job of this with the Mac App Store and the iOS App store by linking purchases to your apple id and allowing installs on a number of devices. But, it could be pushed further by saying that when you buy an app, you have access to it on any device.

Example: I shouldn't have to buy a new version of Angry Birds for each device I own (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, etc.). I wouldn't mind paying for access on addition devices, but this should be done through in app purchases. If I decide to switch to Android tomorrow, I would have to repurchase everything. I don't know exactly how this would be implemented, but EA has been introducing Mac/Windows games on the same disc for a few years now. A tweaked digital version of this may work.

I know that a lot of people dislike the cloud, and I'm one of them. That is why is was very difficult to explain my concept without people thinking that it was all cloud based. It's not.

25. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Also, you can sync contacts with Gmail, Live, Yahoo, etc. Leave it to an Apple fanboy to be clueless.