Mount dmg as Disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris1474, Sep 12, 2011.

1. chris1474 macrumors newbie

I have a program that is old and requires the disc to be present while in use. I am trying to use it on a macbook air. I'm sure you can see the problem here. Money is tight, I can't get the superdrive right now so in the meantime I wanted to copy the disc to a flashdrive as an iso. I did this using MagicISO on a pc. When I try to convert it on the mac using disc utility I get the error "Unable to attach (not recognized)". I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated, however, I cannot afford a program to do this. Thanks in advance.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Can you just transfer it as a dmg onto the flash then copy it over onto the MBA? The dmg should auto-mount as though it were a disk once opened.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

An iso should automount when you double-click on it or by using Disk Utility. You shouldn't need to convert it to anything different.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like one of three things is going on here (you can determine which it is by looking at your Mac's Console logs):
    1. The format of the image is incorrect (the extension is ISO but the internal file format is not).
    2. The image file system is one your Mac does not know how to load.
    3. The image itself is corrupted.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

In the past I have found that Toast manages to mount images that other apps refuse to do so.