Mountain Climbing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacBooked, Jun 5, 2014.

1. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if there are other folks here on MacRumors who ever dreamed about climbing a (very) high mountain? :)
    I always dreamed of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro (5892m) for example. As it is the highest mountain/volcano of Africa, I believe a challenge like that might be one of the few great achievements (aside of love/carreer/children) this planet still has to offer. Some people just think it's a crazy idea and don't see the point of standing on the top of any mountain at all. But I believe it's a great experience that changes the way you feel about yourself. The feeling I have the moment I stand on the top of any 'normal' mountain (let's say 2000m), after a summer hike, is already something I probably can't explain in words. Then how intense would that feeling be when standing on Uhuru Peak?
    My life changed though, I met a great woman, my spare time had to be spend on my law studies, ... but it's a dream that probably won't ever go away.
    Although I probably might never actually do it, are there any people here who had the same feeling once? :)
    Because once you have and start doing some research about climbing that kind of mountains, you learn about the risks: getting AMS, HACE or HAPE are the worst according to me. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's generally speaking some sort of mountain sickness that you could get when ascending a high mountain too fast, and when that happens you'll have to descend very quickly in order to survive. The reason that this happens (and it frequently does) is because the human body has to acclimatize to altitudes, and by ascending too fast you don't give your body the chance to do so.
    Any fans of mountain climbing here?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

To answer the question: not really although I do like hiking up mountains like the Appalacians, Rockies, etc. :)

I see a huge difference between hoofing it up a mountain like Kilimanjaro or scaling a verticle rock like the Eiger, the latter I enjoyed in a depiction portrayed in The Eiger Scantion. It was not until I was an adult that I understood the altitude sickness issue with climbing tall mountains. :)

3. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

That's definitely true. And to climb the Kili you don't need ropes and stuff or anything, it's in fact a relatively 'easy' to climb mountain (from a steepness point of view of course). That's probably one of the reasons why climbing Kilimanjaro is that popular among casual hikers. But you're absolutely right that there is a huge difference between those two styles of climbing.
    I haven't seen The Eiger Sanction yet, so thanks for mentioning it, I really like movies about mountain hiking so I'm definitely going see this one too.
    Have you seen Touching The Void? Iconic movie when it comes to mountain climbing and it's a 100% true story.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I enjoy hiking and I've climbed Mt. Washington - that's probably the limit to how far I'm willing to climb. Its really more of a hike then "climbing" insofar I'm on a well established trail, little specialized equipment is needed (cramp-ons in the winter etc)

5. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I looked it up, that's 1,917m; not bad at all! :)
    I haven't climbed any mountains in the US yet, as I'm a European (so always the Alps for me, especially Austria) but it seems to be a beautiful climb.
    My favorite climb of all time was mountain Wetterkreuz (2,501m) in Ötztal/Austria which I first did when I was 13. Amazing view!

6. NukeIT macrumors regular

Been fascinated with them for awhile. But haven't taken the plunge just yet

7. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Interesting! Glad to read I'm not the only one. ;)

8. r i c h macrumors member

I hiked Mt. Fuji in August of 2012 and it was a fantastic experience. Watching the sun rise from the summit was incredible. Beyond hiking/climbing a well established trail I have no real desire to actually climb a mountain though.

9. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Interesting. :) How hard was it? The Fuji is also on my to do list.
    Is it true that Mt. Fuji can only be done in July/August? I'm just wondering why that is.

10. r i c h macrumors member

It was great! I climbed overnight so that I could see the sunrise from the summit and it was well worth it.

Due to the snowpack and unpredictable weather you can only climb in July and August. Although it was typically around 90°F during the day in Tokyo it was only around 30-35°F at the summit; daytime temps warmed up to about 40-45°F. There was still visible snow on the ground all over the mountain in early-August.

If you are going to climb I suggest multiple layers and rain gear as the weather is pretty unpredictable.

11. iMacBooked thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Thanks for the info! I already expected the reason for it being the weather conditions, but I was thinking that it could have been for cultural reasons too, as I read the Fuji is seen as a 'holy' mountain in Japan.

12. r i c h macrumors member

Nope, just weather. :D