Mountain lion and FCP 7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by treehorn, Jul 25, 2012.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Curious if any body has upgraded to mountain lion and uses FCP 7 to see if there are any problems (still listed as 'unknown' on the compatibility lists)

2. heyimandy, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

heyimandy macrumors member

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

oh that instills confidence...I think I'll wait :)

4. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

FCP7 is working fine for me on Mountain Lion. It actually helped fix the problem of slow startup i was getting on Lion too. Did some quick editing too all seems ok so far.

Not FCP, but related. Mountain Lion also fixes the problem with Quicktime Player 7 where the loop option disappeared in Lion.

5. heyimandy macrumors member

As well I'd like to say I suggest officially upgraded to Mountain Lion and have had no problems with FCP7. Enjoy!

6. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Interesting...I upgraded to Mountain Lion as I am in between projects that need it (transitioning to Premiere Pro anyway) and could always do a Time Machine restore if need be.

Liking Mountain Lion a lot so far...internet is zippier for some strange reason. And Final Cut Pro 7 is playing videos more smoothly at higher levels on my old 2008 Mac Pro.

Only glitch I've found so far though...Final Cut Pro doesn't like quitting (and that little white line under it on the dock is VERY hard to see, even on a 30" screen) and has aborted shut downs more than a few times..

7. bnunes macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion + Rosetta = FCP7

From my experience, I had removed FCP7 from my system so i could have a fresh install before upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Once i was in Mountain Lion, FCP wouldn't install because it said "PowerPC applications are no longer supported".

To work around this, I inserted my Snow Leopard CD (thank god i still had it), and installed an optional package called Rosetta, which is a PowerPC -> Intel code translator that's not included in Lion or Mountain Lion (don't ask me why).

If you have not removed FCP and only upgraded to Mountain Lion, it's probably still working because Rosetta is still on your system.

So far i've had some playback issues and anything I've recorded using a Firestore FS-4 has been giving trouble and am currently working around that.

It's a real tragedy that Apple is so disconnected from their Pro community that they would allow this kind of hit or miss havoc to reign down upon our carpal tunnel ridden editing muscles.

More work is NOT what im looking for!

8. chatfan macrumors regular

chatfan

FCP 7 is a powerPC app? Ok that is good to know!
    I upgraded my backup MBP15 so it worked fine but glad I didn't upgraded the other macs with a clean install!

9. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

10. andboom macrumors member

andboom

Updating FCP7 to FCP7.0.3 in Mountain Lion

I've got FCP7 running fine under Mountain Lion on my Retina Macbook Pro (Clean Install) but just saw it is v7.0

I went to Software Update as I usually would, but under Mountain Lion, this launches the App Store and of course, there are no FCP7 updates to get me back to 7.0.3 as I had running under Lion on my previous machine.

Does anyone know how to get this update (I've looked at Apple's pages such as http://support.apple.com/downloads#finalcutpro with no success)? Or will it give me more compatibility problems than it will solve?

Thanks for any help!

11. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I believe FCP 7.0.3 is part of the 'Pro Applications Update 2010-003' or something named along those lines :)

12. mBox macrumors 68020

Well it was. The install glitch is uncommon from my experience.
    I just loaded 6 Mac Pro's with ML and FCS 3.
    My only complaint is that it takes 3 to 4 hours installing on each system.
    That of course is the whole enchilada ;)

13. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

No, FCP 7 is an Intel native app with an Intel installer. FCP 6 and below used PowerPC-based installers - those versions won't install under Lion/Mountain Lion without some trickery because of the lack of Rosetta.

14. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Ive used the whole studio 3 suite on mountain lion; it works just fine. The only problem with software on mountain lion is the way updates are done. Everything is done threw the app store.. So for instance if you didn't buy final cut x and there's and update, the app store will notice your not the owner and attempt to make you pay for the software. I like snow leopard, i just recently reformatted and reinstalled snow leopard OS x.

15. pitb macrumors newbie

playback issues

I installed FCP 7 in a 2012 2.7 MBP 15" 8RAM ML OS and I got playback issues (Scratches in moving images and panos). It looks like if the video card is not fine. In the same machine Adobe Premiere playbacks are O.K.