Mounting A Shared Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Huntn, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've been doing this for ages. I have a laptop (10.6) I take on trips and a G5 (10.5) desktop that stays at home. I have a folder I keep synched between the two computers. When I get home I use my desktop to log into my laptop, pick the applicable drive and normally the drive icon mounts on my G5 desktop.

Accept yesterday when I did this, no desktop icon appeared, however I did get a finder window to appear that represented this shared drive. The problem arose when I tried to synk the two drives using Synk. Even though this drive was supposed to be "mounted", there was no desktop icon for it and Synk could not see it. After fiddling, I was finally able to make an alias of this drive and put it on the desktop, and get Synk to find it, but the situation strikes me as strange.

Why is this hard drive not mounting on my desktop like it usually does?
    Any ideas appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Have you checked that you havent accidentally altered any File Sharing settings? (System Prefs/Sharing) That seems to be the first course of action as it could even be some 3rd party software interfering.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks Chris for the reply. In my SysPrefs/Sharing settings, I have File Sharing ON, and Remote Login checked. No changes I'm really aware of.