Mouse choice

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by shivermetimbers, May 12, 2009.

1. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I was wondering what the concensus is with mice and OSX. I was looking at the Razer DeathAdder, but there seems to be an issue with drivers/compatibility. Did this ever get fixed?

I would look but the man would be breathing down my neck. I am deployed to Kuwait. I get the not cool, green screen = BLOCKED

I was also looking at the Logitech G9. It seems to be a favored mouse. I would like to use both mice close to their capability versus just the basic 2-3 button mouse because of compatability problems.

I have my 17" 2.93G MBP here with me and was wanting to play a little Diablo 2 of CoD 4. The MM, I love it, but its not good for blowing stuff up.

Sorry if this has been covered before. Oh yeah, no idea how to use USB Overdrive or Steermouse....have only vaguely read about them..... I dont get much free time over here. Thanks for any help and or idea's!

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

LogiTech usually works well with Mac OS X.

Believe or not, I have a MS wireless portable I use with my laptop that works great. ( Even a blind hog can find a nut, apparently! )

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

As far as I know Razer's Mac drivers for the DeathAdder work just fine. I don't know know how good they are but I haven't heard any complaints.

Just like any other mouse driver. Go to wherever they're installed (usually accessed VIA System Preferences) and configure the buttons however you'd like. I use the Razer Mamba with Steermouse and it's nearly fully supported (to program the DPI buttons you will have to use the Windows drivers, but not required if the default settings are good for you).

You might want to have a look at this thread, Best Mouse for games. Plenty of talk of Razer and Logitech's gaming mice.

4. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

5. MasConejos macrumors regular

MasConejos

After reading the previous thread on mice, I bought a razer death adder. After plugging it in (OS X.5.6) it worked immediately with its default configuration (clicking mouse wheel launches dashboard, clicking one of the side buttons launches exposee, fastest level of tracking, etc). After installing the driver, the mouse's extra buttons stopped functioning and the mouse slowed down considerably to something closer to mighty mouse speeds. Using the configuration utility, I was eventually able to get the extra mouse buttons working again, however, rather than setting, for example, mouse button 5 to "exposee" (which is what it was set to before the driver installation), I had to set it to <F13> (the F-Key to which I have exposee bound). I had to do the same for dashboard (set it to <F4>).

I believe it took a couple of attempts at setting the keys before it finally stuck and started working. After that it has worked flawlessly. I have not booted into boot camp yet with the mouse attached, and at the moment I am disinclined to install the windows version of the driver and untility when I get around to it.

All of this took place about a month ago. I hope it helps.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

weird thing about the driver issues with the deathadder. I am using it and love it. It has drivers for both mac/pc and they worked perfect since day 1. I have expose<F3> set to mouse5 via the and back<bck> button on mouse4. No issues.

It's a great gaming mouse and I switch between bootcamp and OSX for gaming and this works great on both OS's. My thing with Logitech was I had to use 3rd party drivers like Mousesteer or USBoverdrive which I hated. I liked the manufacturer's drivers for the DA. No complaints with it at all. You just have to setup the mouse to your likings under the driver configuration, such as speed, etc.

7. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks for the inputs guys! I will roll with the DeathAdder. I will use this with OS X only. I have no intentions of installing windows on my MBP. Would rather pay a junkie $$ to kick me in the nads several times.:rolleyes: Thanks again...

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

When are you coming back conus? As I pointed out in that other thread, it's a bad idea to spend money on a mouse without actually having having felt it in your hand. I was very disappointed by the Deathadder despite it being a great mouse for some.

If you really want get your internet out of the sandbox, there's several proxy solutions.

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

cool just so you know you don't NEED the Mac version of the deathadder. I'm using the "PC" one that has the blue light instead of the white glow that mac one has. Either way you'll just download the mac drivers from razer's website. I got the PC one b/c I liked the blue glow and it was like $13 cheaper.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I much prefer trackballs but variety is becoming less and less as time goes by.

This is my favorite Trackball: Microsoft Tracball Explorer. If you really want a hoot, see how much this discontinued model sells for at Amazon. Someone must like it. I've got my primary and 2, count'm 2 spares. :D

11. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be leaving the AOR sometime in Sep. I have "free" WiFi in the barracks. Its very sketchy at times. Most of the time its down or 56K'ish. I mainly use it for iChat to hook up with the fam back home.

I went ahead and ordered the DeathAdder. I like the MM so I am not that picky. I was playing Diablo 2 with it and did ok...a bit slow at times. So I wanted something a bit better. If I dont dig it, I can give it to my boy when I get home.

The guys here want to network up our laptops and beat the hell out of each other on CoD 4.......should be good enough for that.

Thanks for all the inputs!!!!:cool: