Mouse cursor disappears while browsing macrumors in Safari

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by applephysci, Jun 30, 2010.

1. applephysci macrumors regular

I've begun to notice with increasing frequency that my mouse cursor erratically just disappears when I'm browsing macrumors on Safari. I suspect it has to do with certain javascripts on the forums, but it's getting really annoying. I've seen other related complaints elsewhere, but I wonder if anyone's got a fix.

2. celticpride678

I haven't had this happen to me. Try resetting Safari.

3. timbo1437 macrumors newbie

Just replied to another post about this. Its totally happening for me too, has to be some kind of Java, and its only on this site. Very frustrating....

4. 3282868 macrumors 603

Ditto for me. It's odd. I have to click off Safari to another application for it to return. It's "invisible" as I'm able to click on things by seeing the link highlight, but no actual graphical cursor.

5. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is this a new problem or has it been happening for some time? I've never seen it on either of my computers.

7. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

8. patte macrumors newbie

patte

Count me in… DeviantArt is also a site were this behaviour shows up really fast.

I think clearing the cache and resetting and even a removing the .plist like suggestion on the Apple Discussion Board here doesn't work.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Does this happen on all pages?

On the forum and/or the front pages?

10. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

It happens on front page. On forum pages (and other sites) too but only when front page is open in other tab it seems.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thanks, when this happens can you please take a screenshot of the front page.

12. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

screenshot

here's a screenshot. location: norway.
    Picture-1.png

13. timbo1437 macrumors newbie

I just disabled Java and Javascript, restarted Safari, same issue... Could be something with your Style Sheets... Again, its only on this site, its not in the forums, happens on the homepage.

14. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

15. patte macrumors newbie

patte

My bet: it has something to do with Safar Extensions, or is here anybody who is still on Safari 4 or who has Extensios disabled?

We have to try that one to, it was also my first guess that one of the CSS modifing extensions has something to do with it.

So, disable Safari Extensions. If it works, we might only have to narrow down the suspect (or it'll be that it's the whole extension thingy... I mean ... they are still in beta, right? Why else should apple have made it more or less that complicated to activate them

16. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

It does not happen to me today. I have emptied cache a few time to get some flash animations to update correctly but I did that yesterday too and still had the cursor issue.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you get your cursor back when you move the cursor?

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

This is a common problem with passive matrix displays, sometimes called 'submarining'. I'd recommend either purchasing a Powerbook with an active matrix display, such as a Powerbook 170, or downloading one of the many System 7 Extensions or Control Panels that increase the size of the mouse pointer:

http://trace.wisc.edu/computer/mac/macshare.html

19. patte macrumors newbie

patte

You forgot to mention that one could also buy a seeing-eye dog.

20. patte macrumors newbie

patte

It's a wild shot, I don't think that it would help, but maybe installing the last combo-update from the Apple download section over the current os will solve the problem. I have to much to do right now to perform such a cleaning procedure.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update (887 MB):

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048

21. applephysci thread starter macrumors regular

I've got 10.6.4 but it doesn't seem to have resolved this. In fact, I think it even probably exaggerated it a bit.

22. celticpride678

This is the combo update. It can fix other issues.

23. noreply macrumors newbie

Chrome too

This happens to me when using Google Chrome (haven't try other browsers) in a variety of sites, not only MacRumors.

I think is something related with the OS itself.

24. patte macrumors newbie

patte

That's interesting, I'll try Firefox now since it's not a Webkit based browser - could be that 10.6.4 interactions is causing this webkit-only error… but who knows.

But I think OS X 10.6.4 messed things up here and we'll have to play the waiting game.

25. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I was losing the cursor in Macrumors when a certain banner ad was showing - see this thread.

I also lost the cursor on another site (sorry, can't remember which), where the same airline ad was showing.

This happened in Safari 4 and 5, under 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. Also in Firefox IIRC. I've not seen the ad for a while and have not had the problem.

Being in the UK, I've not experienced the ad that Belly-laughs showed in his screenshot.