Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaroCoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Hello,

I am looking at improving my work from home set-up, and I'm wondering what the best options are for external mice. I've always only used my MBP trackpad, and so I wonder if the different swipes and functions transfer to a non Apple mouse; I'm worried about losing all the functionality of the track pad. I also want to make sure that it connects easy to my Mac. I realize there is the Apple Magic mouse, but I was hoping for something more ergonomic and maybe cheaper. I also am reading that the Magic mouse is not always trouble-free.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Caro

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hello,

I am looking at improving my work from home set-up, and I'm wondering what the best options are for external mice. I've always only used my MBP trackpad, and so I wonder if the different swipes and functions transfer to a non Apple mouse; I'm worried about losing all the functionality of the track pad. I also want to make sure that it connects easy to my Mac. I realize there is the Apple Magic mouse, but I was hoping for something more ergonomic and maybe cheaper. I also am reading that the Magic mouse is not always trouble-free.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Caro

I use the Magic Mouse (multiple units) on all of my Macs... and have no issues whatsoever. However, the ergonomic concern is one that is widely reported (again, I personally have no issues with them)... but that said, I am not aware of any "non Apple mouse" that handles the gestures as well as the MM and/or the trackpad. Connecting other BT or WiFi mouses to a Mac should not be a problem... but don't think there are any that get you the same swipes and functions as the trackpad, save the Magic Mouse.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Ergonomics will be totally fine as long as you're a toddler. Or maybe a pre-schooler. If, on the other hand, you have average-sized human adult hands then ergonomics are abysmal for most people. I do use the Magic Mouse 2 that came with my 2017 iMac with my MacBook because I rarely ever need it, and as long as I don't use it for more than maybe 2-3 non-consecutive hours a day I'm fine. Otherwise my hand will start cramping and my skin will start itching from all the rubbing against the table.

My main mouse is a Logitech MX Master 2S that works great, is very comfortable to use, has a plethora of freely configurable buttons to maintain gesture functionality, and can connect via Bluetooth. That's pretty much the bottom line for you: you need a mouse with Bluetooth support, otherwise you'll have to use a dongle and, depending on what MacBook Pro you have, another dongle in order to connect that dongle.

And there's more bad news: Bluetooth mice tend to be on the expensive side, and the good and comfortable ones
aren't necessarily any cheaper than Apple's bowl-shaped rocking board for smurfs.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Ergonomics will be totally fine as long as you're a toddler. Or maybe a pre-schooler. If, on the other hand, you have average-sized human adult hands then ergonomics are abysmal for most people. I do use the Magic Mouse 2 that came with my 2017 iMac with my MacBook because I rarely ever need it, and as long as I don't use it for more than maybe 2-3 non-consecutive hours a day I'm fine. Otherwise my hand will start cramping and my skin will start itching from all the rubbing against the table.

My main mouse is a Logitech MX Master 2S that works great, is very comfortable to use, has a plethora of buttons to restore gesture functionality, and can connect via Bluetooth. That's pretty much the bottom line for you: you need a mouse with Bluetooth support, otherwise you'll have to use a dongle and, depending on what MacBook Pro you have, a dongle in order to connect that dongle. I have bad news though: good and comfortable mice aren't much cheaper than Apple's bowl-shaped snowboard for smurfs.

Wow... you like the Magic Mouse THAT much, huh? :D

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Is it that obvious? :p

The only reason why I am using it is because it was free (like I said it came with my iMac) and it is only slightly bigger yet surprisingly even less abysmal to use than my travel-sized Logitech Bluetooth mouse that I used before whenever I traveled. I'm pretty sure that one is registered as a highly effective torture device under the United Nations Convention Against Torture.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Have you thought about the Logitech MX Master Mouse 3? I have one and it works great...I also have a Apple Magic Trackpad 2...The master mouse has lots of different settings and buttons that you can tweak to what you like. It is wireless with bluetooth build in but it also comes with a USB dongle that you can use...I've used the bluetooth only with my 2019 13'' MBP and its worked great. It's about $100 on Amazon or Bestbuy.

Reactions: CaroCoco

CaroCoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Thank you for your replies, your comments are very appreciated. I will look into the Logitech Master Mouse option and make a decision. I do have large hands and am on my computer many hours per day, so the Magic Mouse sounds like it might not be the best option. There's also the track pad which sounds tempting...
Thanks again,
Caroline

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Caroline,

You know and are comfortable with the trackpad. Just get Apple's Magic Trackpad. It's awesome.

Reactions: CaroCoco
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.