Move command?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psyjunta, Aug 20, 2010.

1. psyjunta macrumors newbie

I really miss the move or cut-command in Windows. Clicking and dragging doesn't cut it for me.
    If there isn't one, can I script it somehow? Like putting "Move from" and "Move to" command in the right click menu?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Command-X to cut and Command-V to paste. I think that's what you're talking about.

3. psyjunta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Easy as that huh?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There has been some scripts in other threads. Use MRoogle to find them. I wrote one of them so I know they're there. Also, from Finder, when you drag a file to another window if you hold command before you release your mouse it will move the file rather than copy it.

5. psyjunta thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I need help finding those scripts. cmd-x doesn't work. Did a search and found one script but I'm reluctant to downloading a script that I have no insight in how it handles the file. [Edit: Yup, file cutter is exactly what I don't want. Tried to copy the readme-file to the desktop and it just disappeared. Lucky it happened while I was testing the app and not later on when I was moving my documents.]

Ideally it should copy the file and after a succesful copy it should destroy the original.

Weird that apple would make such an oversight. OSX has so far been a dream in terms of usability except in the area of managing files. It's cumbersome setting up all the folders in beforehand to move some files. I work with a track pad often and more than a few times I've accidentally released the left click button and lost the file in the mess that is my finder windows. It's just frustrating.