Move mirrored RAID drives to new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by drbrog, Jun 19, 2011.

1. drbrog macrumors member

I have a first Gen MP with two 1.5 GB set up as a mirrored RAID using the OS X disk utility. I would like to move the drives into a new MP. If I install the 2 drives into the new Mac Pro, will they be recognized as a mirrored RAID or will they have to be reformatted first?

Thanks

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

3. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

My dear boy, I would back up whatever you have on your RAID, then proceed to transfer them to the new machine. That way, you won't run the risk of losing your material. I for one believe that a software RAID can not be transferred between machines...however I may be wrong about that.

4. Schismz macrumors regular

Backing up so that you don't have your only copy of something in just one place, is always a good idea.

That being said, if you created your RAID using Disc Utility, you can just unplug drives from old computer, plug into new one, presto, done, it works just fine, Philip is correct. I've done this many times, never had an issue. The order of the drives or the bays you use, makes no difference.

5. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Then I stand corrected good sir

6. drbrog thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your input and advice. Will back up prior to the transfer!

7. Etherz10 macrumors member

1.5GBs WOAH THATS HUGE xD

8. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

I have wondered this regarding the order in the sleds.
    Thanks