Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MoviePass, the app that allows you to watch a movie in theaters each day for the low price of $10 per month, is unsurprisingly planning to use your location data to make money.

As TechCrunch points out, MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe recently told an audience at a Hollywood event that MoviePass is collecting and monetizing through location information.

moviepasslocation-800x579.jpg

"We get an enormous amount of information. We watch how you drive from home to the movies. We watch where you go afterwards," said Lowe.

MoviePass, which is owned by a data analytics firm, has made no secret of the fact that it plans to use data generated from subscribers to make money. "There are dozens and dozens of businesses like ours that invest in building a large subscriber base," Lowe told Recode in early February. "Netflix buys $8 billion of content a year, and believe me, they have to borrow the money to do it. Or companies like Facebook -- it's free, but they're monetizing all the advertising and all the data about you. That's exactly what we are [doing]."

While MoviePass has been transparent about how it plans to make money, most people are likely not aware of the extent of the data the company collects. As TechCrunch says, it's likely users assumed MoviePass would collect data like ticket sales, movie choice, promotions, and more, rather than detailed location data that tracks your movement before and after seeing a film.

MoviePass's privacy policy says that the app requires access to location when selecting a theater, and that it makes a single request for location coordinates. There's no mention of ongoing tracking, so it's not clear if this is something the MoviePass app is doing on the sly, if such tracking has yet to be implemented, or if the CEO's comments were exaggeratory.
MoviePass(R) requires access to your location when selecting a theater. This is a single request for your location coordinates (longitude, latitude, and radius) and will only be used as a means to develop, improve and personalize the service. MoviePass(R) takes information security very seriously and uses reasonable administrative, technical, physical and managerial measures to protect your location details from unauthorized access. Location coordinate data is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology into password-protected databases.
iOS users who are concerned about MoviePass collecting excessive data can restrict access to their location on the device level. To do so, open the Settings app, navigate to Privacy, and then choose Location Services. From there, select MoviePass.

You can opt to change your location setting to "Never," "While Using the App," and "Always." You'll probably want to leave it on "While Using the App," as location information is required when making a ticket purchase. Alternatively, you can toggle "Never" on and off whenever you use the MoviePass app for further security.

MoviePass charges $9.95 per month (or $7.95 if you pay for an annual subscription) and allows customers to see a 2D movie each day. MoviePass provides customers with a debit card that's loaded with money to make ticket purchases, so it works at more than 90 percent of theaters across the United States.

With ticket prices that often exceed $10 in certain areas for a single movie, MoviePass is a solid deal, if you don't mind sacrificing your privacy for cheaper movies.

As of January 2018, MoviePass had 1.5 million subscribers. The MoviePass app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: MoviePass told The Verge that it is "exploring" utilizing location-based marketing to "enhance the overall experience by creating more opportunities for subscribers to "enjoy all the various elements of a good movie night." The company says it has no intentions to sell this data at the current time.
At MoviePass our vision is to build a complete night out at the movies. We are exploring utilizing location-based marketing as a way to help enhance the overall experience by creating more opportunities for our subscribers to enjoy all the various elements of a good movie night. We will not be selling the data that we gather. Rather, we will use it to better inform how to market potential customer benefits including discounts on transportation, coupons for nearby restaurants, and other similar opportunities. Our larger goal is to deliver a complete moviegoing experience at a price anyone can afford and everyone can enjoy.
Update 2: In an update released on March 7, MoviePass said it "removed unused app location capability."

Article Link: MoviePass App Tracks Your Location Before and After Movies [Updated With Statement]

Reactions: ryanflanders256

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
How exactly is MoviePass getting information about how I go to the movies and how I leave the movies - if it's set to only use location services when the app is open?

I mean, personally I don't really give a toss if MoviePass knows this. I mean, yeah - I went to dinner, and then I went home. Congrats, MoviePass. But if I don't have the option to disable this, that seems to go against what iOS's Location Services are saying...

Either way, love my MoviePass.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
One of the best purchases I've ever made. I got in on a sale they were having for $6.95/mo. That means I have to go to the movies only about 7 times to make my money back. This is a no brainer for me. They can collect all the data they want. I mean everyone else is doing it....:)

SeminalSage

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
How exactly is MoviePass getting information about how I go to the movies and how I leave the movies - if it's set to only use location services when the app is open?

I mean, personally I don't really give a toss if MoviePass knows this. I mean, yeah - I went to dinner, and then I went home. Congrats, MoviePass. But if I don't have the option to disable this, that seems to go against what iOS's Location Services are saying...

Either way, love my MoviePass.

My guess is they can only collect that data if your click the 'always' option when the app requests location data.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I just don't understand why the CEO would say that so proudly...

And the vast majority of Android/iOS users don't adjust app-specific location services - most people just click "OK" on any dialog that pops up when they open the app without reading it.

Last edited:

Macatize

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
Springfield, MO
Movie pass is horrible! I canceled it before I even used it to purchase a movie ticket. The process was such a pain, it was like having a Netflix subscription but having to go to Redbox to pick up your movie. I ended up canceling it, and when they kept charging me, I had to call my credit card company to dispute the charges.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Movie pass is horrible! I canceled it before I even used it to purchase a movie ticket. The process was such a pain, it was like having a Netflix subscription but having to go to Redbox to pick up your movie. I ended up canceling it, and when they kept charging me, I had to call my credit card company to dispute the charges.

Er.... how is it a pain? Pick theater, pick movie, pick time, hit "check in", and then use the card to buy the ticket like any other credit/debit card. So simple it's a joke (kinda like your analogy which makes about zero sense!).

Last edited:

BaccoE

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2015

When you refer to Redbox, do you mean you didn't like having to go to the theater to buy your ticket?

If so, how else did you expect it to work? If that's not what you meant, what do you mean?

I'm curious about the issues you experienced.

multimediums

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
I don’t care, MoviePass is freakin awesome.

If you think you aren’t being tracked already by several apps & sites, then obviously you are a tad naive. Like it or not, this is cost you pay for technology & convenience. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m saying it’s a fact. You can use a rolodex and live in the woods if you prefer.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I was considering trying this out, but this sort of location tracking is unacceptable. I turn off location services anywhere where it is not necessary to the functioning of the app. In some cases with 3rd party apps I'll turn it on only while as needed. For example Adidas Confirmed or Foot Locker.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
They were up front from the start about their intentions, so I really don't see any angle for people to use to complain. "Most people don't read the TOS" isn't an excuse. "It's too complicated" isn't either. If you honestly think you're ever getting something free from any business for no reason at all, you're wrong.

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
"MoviePass App Tracks Your Location Before and After Movies", If Location Services Are Set To Always

Don't really care, but cool to know. Pretty neat how companies have figured out how to monetize on data rather than charging us. Sounds creepy but as long as this makes the movie experience better and companies produce better movies based on what we watch along with security of our personal info, I'm in.

I listened to an interview with the CEO, man they've really pissed off AMC. Out of the blue this company has so much control on the movie theaters in less than a year. They shut down movie pass to select high attendance AMC theaters just to show AMC the numbers that they do indeed affect their growth in popcorn sales and they can direct customers to other theaters instead in order to leverage AMC into making a deal with them in profit sharing. Other companies have made deals to share sales and data. This is reason why MoviePass can survive with the ridiculously low subscription model. It's like Netflix, they know when we watch, what we watch, and where we watch.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
It shouldn't be a surprise...it was obvious their business model was selling your personal data.

Ok, but let's think about this. We're not talking abut identity theft. What is the harm with sharing personal data? Sure, I can see some folks value their privacy (for various reasons), but outside of conspiracy theories and insecurity, who cares that they know where you went to eat, etc.? It will be used for targeted marketing, which is already happening via Chrome and lots of other apps. I just don't see the REAL harm in this tracking. I may be looking at this too simply, so please enlighten (and scare) me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.