Movies/TV In The Works

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen
David Harbour of Stranger Things fame is going to be the next Hell Boy, in what’s described as a franchise reboot Rise of the Blood Queen. I found the phrase franchise reboot to be unclear (from the second link which I read first), if they are starting over from scratch, as if the previous movies did not happen, if the franchise is being restarted after some time off with a new actor and this is really a sequel. However, the following link describes it as a new vision, so reboot seems likely. I did not see a release date. Production is reported to have begun, so maybe 2018-19.
https://nerdist.com/everything-we-know-so-far-about-hellboy-rise-of-the-blood-queen/

The original Hellboy is one of my favorite comic-to-movie, movies. I did not care for the second one so much. Maybe I should rewatch it.

[doublepost=1511099985][/doublepost]Will Honor Harrington ever make it to the big or little screen?
If you are unfamiliar with Honor Harrington and like science fiction novels, you should read this, a long series of about 12 books with serialized stories that build on each other. A rich narrative full of three dimensional characters, civilizations spread across the galaxy, and incredible space battles were armed engagements start a million clicks away, with attention to technical details, but not boring! :)

So, the first news I remember about a Honor Harrington movie was back 2006. Then a studio was created and an attempt to adapt the first book On Basilisk Station. This book spent a lot of time with Honor on her first command, team building with her crew. The action does not really get going till the last third of the book. They had trouble writing a screenplay for this story and my understanding, and later deciding a good place to start a franchise, finding a chunk of the long timeline that works in a movie format. Apparently this fissiled and the studio closed in 2015. For those who are fans of the series, this 2017 video discusses the difficulties the author David Weber ran into and references the possibility of a future TV show which may be a better way to approach a conversion, if that ever happens.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Looking forward to the slew of shows coming to Disney Plus this year and next. Especially the Marvel and Star Wars shows.

She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Moonknight

The Mandalorian

To name a few.

I haven't seen the new Hellboy thought. Like you, I love the original one and it to this day is one of my favorite movies. This one has been lambasted since opening day.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looking forward to the slew of shows coming to Disney Plus this year and next. Especially the Marvel and Star Wars shows.

She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Moonknight

The Mandalorian

To name a few.

I haven't seen the new Hellboy thought. Like you, I love the original one and it to this day is one of my favorite movies. This one has been lambasted since opening day.
Those sound interesting. I’ve not yet seen Captain Marvel. How is this related to Ms. Marvel?

Hellboy, yeah, the original movie is one of my top favorites. I started the new one, but did not finish it. Fighting giants in Scotland (country?) that no one noticed, did not grab me. And David Harbour, I like him in Stranger Things (Netflix), but feel he was mis-typecast for Hellboy. In fact, it’s doubtful that anyone could replace Ron Perlman, he has the perfect face, voice, and mannerisms, especially his pining love for pyrotechnic Liz Sherman.

The original movie 2004 production set the bar astronomically high with incredible visuals- the WWII Scotland sequence, the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense in New Jersey, incredible characters like Karl Ruprecht Kroenen and Abe Sapien, monsters like Sammael, and The Ogdru Jahad, the 7 Gods of Chaos, you just don’t get this quality of writing or this unusually great atmosphere in your average comic to movie transition.

Now, I admit, I never read the comic, but the 2004 movie seems to be close to perfection in it’s adaption and capturing the world of Hellboy. Of note, Hellboy is Dark Horse Comics, not Marvel.

256364AB-ECDE-465C-BF84-00A86D3D62C7.jpeg

BB7F789F-B091-437E-9619-3A916C3175AA.jpeg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The Hellboy comic is very easy to read and super easy on the eyes in terms of art. Mike Magnola's art is different than what you would find in say a Marvel or DC comic. I like it personally, I know a few people who are turned off by it. The stories are very easy to read and follow. Having said that, they are several arcs that are fun!

One of the reason's I didn't see it in the theater as I had the same feeling you had about the lead casting. I couldn't see him as Hellboy and the trailer's didn't install a sense of "yeah they nailed this one". I am going to watch the new Hellboy soon, but I have a feeling it won't live up to my expectations or what I feel is the one true Hellboy, Ron P. Oh, Ron does capture the character pretty darn good. The sarcastic tone and what he says is pretty spot on with some of the dialog you can read in the books.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Matrix 4’ Officially a Go With Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

In preproduction. 2021?
If rumors are true and Morpheus is recast with a younger actor. That'd be a shame. Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving were the best actors in those movies. That would be a tough hole to fill.

What would be a great twist is if the real world in the Matrix turned out not to be the real world. Just a distopian layer created by the machines for humans whose minds rejected the regular Matrix. It would better explain Neo's ability to detect and destroy machines with his mind. That he was starting to break through the second Matrix layer and awaken in the real world.