Moving 3 iPhone Lines From ATT To Verizon Need Guidance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbeliever, Dec 14, 2014.

1. macbeliever macrumors member

I've been with ATT for my iPhone service since the first model. Their service seems to get notoriously worse and worse. I live in Metro Detroit and everyone here complains that ATT is inferior to Verizon.

Because I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data, almost 2 years ago I bit the bullet again and resigned a new contract. Since then I've watched my data usage and I'm only at 4GB of less per month. I also now have both of my parents on my shared plan. We are at around $230 per month. They never go over on data because they're in their 60's.

I run a small to medium sized business and I can'r deal with dropping calls any longer. Si I've decided to move to Version.

My question is, what's the most advantageous (cost effective) way to start 3 new lines with Verizon. We are all leaving ATT without penalty. The mix of phones will look like the;

6 plus
    5s
    5s

Any ideas, strategies, help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dwhair macrumors newbie

Moving 3 Lines

Here's what I would do:

Go to a Best Buy Mobile Stand Alone Store (not one in a store, typically in a mall)

There are a few different promotions you could take advantage of..

Currently, they are offering $150 gift cards for new activations on Verizon. This would dramatically reduce the cost of the phone. You could trade in the iPhones you currently have. When all is said and done you would have around 650 on gift cards to use towards the purchase.

You may also want to think about Verizon Edge. Mainly because you could be on the 10GB plan for 80 and have a lower access fee monthly. You'd pay the taxes on the phone in store but still walk out with a ton in gift cards.

Hope this helps.

3. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

I can't speak for Best Buy mobile stors, but if you do edge in a Verizon store you don't pay the taxes for the phones up front, they come on the first bill.

4. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Not trying to be snarky, just relating my experience. Be very, very careful getting in bed with Verizon.

Verizon goes to extraordinary lengths to capture and lock in customers through a variety of means - contracts that subsidize the cost of phones, rate structure of the service plans, proprietary technology (CDMA voice/text service) and others. Many VZW-sold phone cannot be used on other networks at all, ever. Once captured, VZW is free to price-gouge customers.

This is not to say that other carriers are innocent. Just saying that VZW is world-class in this area.

I have had good experiences when calling ATT for customer service. Experiences with VZW varied, sometimes good but more often not.

About 10 months ago I left VZW after 10+ years for AT&T and now have 4 devices on a family share plan (2 iPhones and 2 iPads w/ cellular capability) and couldn't be happier. The AT&T signal is much better at my home and has been very good for traveling from Virginia to Atlanta, upper midwest, NE I-95 corridor, Las Vegas and several areas in UT and AZ.

I no longer have a contract - I buy phones either at full price (e.g., Nexus 5) or or directly from Apple - the phone cost is placed on Next, after which I pay in full and then unlock the phone. ATT is good about unlocking after the phone is paid off.

Here is the important part -- ATT has been quick to respond to competition, much more so than VZW. When starting with ATT I took advantage of a promotion ($100 service credit per device - $400 in my case). Later on, ATT briefly offered a "double your data" promotion to keep customers who might otherwise switch to TMob or Sprint. I was able to double my data allowance from 10 to 20 GB at the same price. Verizon has always been MUCH slower to offer these promotions. Plus, many people can use "FAN" codes for discounts.

In short, it has been much easier on ATT to find promotions or rate plans that are much better deals than VZW. And I will never be locked in, either by contract or by incompatible technology.

Final point - all of this hinges on getting good service (signal) in your home and areas you frequent. In my experience, VZW signal was terrible at my home and ATT much better. It might be different in your area.

Again, I'm just relating my experience. Yours might be different. I really regret staying with VZW for so many years.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

That's changing. Verizon is becoming primarily an LTE network, and will eventually be LTE-only (plus 5G when that comes out). They actually have the most liberal unlocking policies in the market. Every LTE phone they sell is unlocked, whether or not bought on contract. In the case of the iPhone 6 and 5s, you can use the Verizon model on AT&T or T-Mobile and it supports all their bands.

6. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

How much data total do the 3 of you use? How much do each of your parents use? Do your parents need unlimited talk and text? Do you need unlimited talk and text?

Are any of these phones still under contract? If so, when will the contract expire?

Answer my questions and I can help you.

----------

Well this isn't true of the iP5s or iP6 and those are the phones he has so it is irrelevant.

And it is irrelevant for the future too as all Verizon 4G LTE phones are GSM SIM unlocked out of the box now. They are the most desirable phones for resale now b/c they work with all US carries except Sprint and work with GSM international carriers out of the box.

Verizon's plans are competitive with AT&Ts.

Verizon has employer discounts too as well as the Edge program, which compares to the AT&T Jump program.

7. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

JulesJam - good points; my comments included some more info about the ATT vs VZW debate that would be more generally applicable to others, although not necessarily to the original poster (Macbeliever).

Regarding the iPhone 5 and 6, correct. Not for the 4 or 4s, however. When my wife and I switched over, we had to sell her VZW iPhone 4s and buy another ATT iPhone 4s on eBay. Big hassle. The holy grail, of course, would be for all phones to work universally on all carriers. Verizon has done its best to thwart that and other consumer-friendly features as well (Don't get me started!). Apple, with its market clout and to its credit, is helping to slowly force the carriers in that direction. I heartily agree with you that there is a big advantage to owning iPhones (at least the newer ones). Those with certain other Verizon phones are stuck.

Regarding competitive plans, it really pays to be off-contract and to compare closely to jump on limited-time promotions. VZW might be competitive for now. Last February however, ATT was quick to compete with TMobile. Its family share plans dropped prices substantially for some users, especially with several devices and more than minimal data use. I waited in vain for several weeks for VZW to respond but it didn't happen. Switching to ATT saved $50 per month compared to my previous VZW plan, which allowed no free text messages and had limited voice minutes. VZW responded only MUCH later.

While predictions are difficult -- especially about the future :D -- I have recently been able to take advantage of two additional ATT promotions. I did not see similar opportunities with VZW.

Again, I'm not trying to be snarky -- just wanted others to be aware of my experience with Verizon and with the ATT vs VZW differences. Over many years I had several issues with VZW - outrageous charges for text messages, even though I had VZW de-activate text messages from my account, only to see VZW re-activate the feature. Also "cramming" other charges onto my bill until I noticed and demanded removal. Maybe I would have had similar issues with ATT, but it's impossible to prove the counter-factual.

VZW has a broad reach with its network so many will do well. Likewise with ATT. Just be aware, and compare carefully.

8. EOB, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

EOB macrumors regular

Currently I am paying $250 a month after taxes with a 10gb data plan for four smartphones. Two of the lines are on Edge, which gives me a discount of $50, plus if you have a .edu Verizon may allow you to get a 15% discount off of your monthly plan.

In reality I am paying around $190 for 4 smartphone lines not including the payments for the edge phones.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

You can't buy the 4 or 4s new anymore so I'm not sure why you're bringing them up. All LTE phones sold by Verizon over the past couple years are fully carrier unlocked.

It seems to me that you're getting Sprint and Verizon mixed up. Sprint iPhones are fully locked down and cannot be unlocked for use on any of the other networks in the US. Sprint even makes it difficult to unlock them for international use.

10. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Wait, what?!?!!?!?! All you need is an .edu email to get a 15% discount off of Verizon?!?!?!!?! HOW???!?!?!!?!?!?

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Just wanted to add that best buy mobile in or out of store should have he same deals and be able to handle the same promotions.

12. EOB macrumors regular

Sorry should have clarified a bit, I am not sure if it is any .edu email, but it worked with mine.
    I actually do not remember exactly what you need to verify, but I am sure it is just a .edu email. Since my school gives us lifetime access to our .edu email. I still have the discount.

Here is the link to check if you qualify, I believe.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/eleuLanding.jsp

13. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I offered to help you but you never answered my questions *shrugs*

14. rigormortis, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

one thing i want to say about verizon is you gotta be careful with their new ETF deal. i am surprised no one mentioned it yet

this applies to subsidized phones, and not "edge" payments.

in order to save money with "edge" you need a data plan of 10-15 gb

with most carriers payments on 10+ gigs is the only way you can save money vs getting a subsidized phone

if you have a smaller data plan like 6 to 8 gigs, it can be more expensive on subsidized then it is on payments.

you need a phd to figure this stuff out

subsidized phones:

you only have 14 days to change your mind before being charged an ETF

the early termination fee will not go down for the first 8 months. if you cancel between 14 days to 7 months each line will be $350

the $350 is prorated :
    $10 off each month for months 8-18
    $20 off each month for months 19 to 23
    $60 off each month for the final month

if the 6+ is unlocked it might work on verizon, but verizon must be willing to sell you a sim that is pre-activated

the older phones ( the 5s) will not work on verizon and you will need to trade them in or sell them

before you dump AT&T don't forget to get them unlocked. you can have them unlocked after you cancel. yeah but i think its probably better to submit any unlocking requests now

you don't want to switch to verizon to find out that the 6+ was locked to AT&T

-----
    if your getting dropped calls at your primary place of business, then you might want to consider getting the AT&T 3G Microcell. they are $199 each. its a mini cell phone tower that connects to your internet.

if the dropped calls all over detroit, then that microcell isn't gong to help, but i thought i would mention it

---

another strategy. how about just transferring 1 line to verizon, to try them out, and if its not as good as it is claimed to be you can switch back before your 14 days are up.

you can move the other lines at a later time!

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

With 10 GB shared data plan running $80/month (prior to any discounts) these days, it sounds like it all should be (or at least could be) somewhat cheaper for you.

16. EOB, Dec 16, 2014

EOB macrumors regular

Do not forget, that Verizon has the Smartphone access fees (just like some other major carriers), which is $40 per smartphone on the line. So a plan of four phones would be $160 not including a data plan, which would be that $80 you are talking about.
    All in all a plan of four smartphones with 10gb of data would be $240 minimum, not including any discounts ( i.e. employee/edge) or taxes.

But, if you know how to only pay $80 for four smartphones on Verizon. Please do tell me how.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Right, that's all part of it. I was simply saying that with the 10 GB plan being $80/month (just the plan, of course) it seemed that your numbers might have been a little over that, more in line with the 10 GB plan's original $100/month price. Looking at the numbers and details you mentioned again, it seems like they can be in line with the $80/month cost of the plan.

18. EOB, Dec 16, 2014

EOB macrumors regular

According to my VZW bill I am paying...

-$68 for 10gb data plan (only place that a monthly discount can be applied to)

-$40 smartphone access
    -$40 smartphone access
    -$15 smartphone access on Edge
    -$15 smartphone access on Edge
    -$8 taxes.

Totals up to $186/month, not including the monthly payments for the phones on Edge.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Yup, that seems about right. The original $250 figure kind of threw it off when I was looking at that original reply.

20. KUguardgrl13, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If the 6+ and 5ses are on your AT&T plan? I would get them unlocked and sell at least the 5ses since they won't work anyway. The 6+ may work, but you'll need an active Verizon SIM. Then I'd use the money from the sold phones for the subsidies or to put toward Edge payments.

This is what my family has (bearing in mind we got this plan in late 2012 before Edge discounts for more data):

6gb data plan (can't recall price and it apparently no longer exists for new customers)
    3 iPhones $120 monthly access
    1 dumb phone $30 monthly access
    1 iPad $10 monthly access

Runs just under $250 with my dad's corporate discount.

I'd suggest this:

10gb data plan $80/month (4gb is insulting even for low usage, and $70 is a ridiculous price to pay for that)
    iPhone 6+ $15/month, $32 Edge fee*
    iPhone 5s $15/month, $22 Edge fee
    iPhone 5s $15/month, $22 Edge fee
    Total: $200 approx before taxes and fees

*If you bring the 6+ you have, it will either be $40 for your line or $15 if you can get the BYOD discount.

Edge is 0% 24 month phone financing with an option to upgrade within the 24 months. At the end of the 24 months you can choose new phones for likely around the same cost, or the Edge fees will go away. I'm not sure if Verizon continues the $15 line access after that or if it goes up. This is the plan I would opt for. If you decide to leave, I believe you just have to pay off or return the phones rather than paying an ETF.

Personally I love Verizon's service. I get good coverage around Kansas City where I go to school and in Baltimore where my parents live. We also got good service when we lived in Minnesota.

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The 6 Plus should work with no problem. All you need to do is get a SIM and activate that SIM with the VZW account to get the phone working. Both 5ses will have to be sold since the AT&T models have the CDMA radios deactivate (TMK).

Also, just a tip from a long time Verizon customer, those "fees" they constantly try to attack you with are always waiveable. I have yet to pay the pesky $30 upgrade fee for upgrading to a new phone (after giving them money for the last 20 years and rarely ever late, it's the least they can do IMO).

Verizon customer service, while they can be a PITA can also be very workable. For instance, I was able to get them to push my brothers upgrade date about 9 months so he could get the 6 (his 5 was on its last leg) and the CSA was very nice and helpful.

I won't go over plans as KUguardgrl13 did a phenomenal job at doing that but I will say that Verizon's service is the one to beat. Here in Southern California, T-Mobile and AT&T really only work near the freeways and downtown (LA and San Diego) but actually in the suburbs (where I live) Verizon is the only one with a good signal. I recently decided to get a GoPhone SIM to try in my old 3GS and the signal was decent, but not like what I get with Verizon. Plus, I would get constant dropped calls and slowed connections to 3G. I never tired it in my 6 Plus (I know GoPhone doesn't always support the latest iPhone models) but I'm sir ei would have gotten similar results.

My father was on AT&T for years until they were bought by Cingular and that's where things went down hill. He switched to Verizon which made it better for the rest of the family who was on Verizon. When Verizon ticked him off, he switched to AT&T and got the iPhone 3G. Compared to his Treo on Verizon, the signal was horrible and dropped calls were a given since as a truck driver he is constantly in the middle of the desert. Ironically, shortly after his contract ended, Verizon got the iPhone 4 so he jumped back to Verizon. He gets a signal just about everywhere and is still enjoying the service, even if it's a bit more monthly then what he paid with AT&T.

22. jredecop macrumors 6502a

One strange thing with the edge program is that once you get the phones paid off, the discount per line goes away and you pay $40 per line (bill never drops). Guess if you're planning on never paying them off that's not a problem. With att next you always keep the $25 discount per line to where they only total $15 on top of the data plan.

Just a thought.

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Verizon has the same discont for owned/non-contract phones as well, so once the EDGE phone is paid off and the phone is basically owned by you that discount (for the same amount of money) can be used.

24. macbeliever thread starter macrumors member

25. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13