Moving apps = crash, Apple logo, restart

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by 3Pedals6Speeds, Sep 19, 2012.

1. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

Every time I move an app since updating it is causing my iPhone 4S to reset? Anyone else experienced this? Occurs as I hit the home button to stop the apps from wiggling.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I moved an app and the screen dimmed to barely visible and then shut down.

3. WARRZONE, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

WARRZONE macrumors newbie

My phone is crashing too when I try to move an app or folder on the springboard (4S running iOS 6). It happens when I press the home button to get the apps to stop jiggling.

4. truchb28 macrumors newbie

5. kmbutler macrumors newbie

6. redman042 macrumors 68020

Happened to me the first time (right after updating my 4S) but not afterwards.

7. Chip Chanko macrumors member

Chip Chanko

Happened on my iPad 3 yestereday, same symptom w/ the dimming.

8. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

i have a 4S and ipad 3 and cannot duplicate this on either of them..

9. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

10. TheGoomster macrumors newbie

I can confirm that I'm getting this behaviour on an iPhone 4 as well.

After I move an app into a folder, my phone crashes and restarts when I push the home button to stop the icons from jiggling. I can recreate every time.

11. Misterhee, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Misterhee macrumors newbie

Yep, me too (iPhone 4)

This is also happening on my iPhone 4. Not on my ipad3 however.

I tried rebooting fully by turning the phone off then on again. I was able to move an app one screen over, but then when I tried to move the same app into a folder, it crashed again!

What a FAIL!

UPDATE -------------

Seems if you only move your app one screen at a time (pressing the home button after each move to stop the shaking), then it works as a workaround. Still a PITA though...

(Credit - https://discussions.apple.com/message/19646965#19646965)

12. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

My issue has disappeared now. I can move the apps no problem now. Not sure if it was the fact that I had many hidden apps or if it was specific apps, but I haven't had the problem come back.

13. snowgurl macrumors newbie

Me, too!

Happening on my iPad when I hit the home button after rearranging icons. Doesn't happen on my iPhone. Yet ...

14. humar macrumors 6502

humar

Never happened with both (my and my gf) 4s.. neither with the betas os ios6

15. David Webb macrumors newbie

16. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

I have a different issue... If I move the icon into a folder while its downloading there will be a ghost icon on the screen with the loading bar at full... The app works perfectly but the ghost image stays.. Disappears when I reboot...

17. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I'm pretty sure this would be an app specific incompatibility issue and not iOS 6. There are many apps that haven't been updated yet. Have you tried it with a known iOS 6 app i.e. Find iPhone, iTunes U first?

If this another real iOS 6 bug ouch.

18. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

It came back once, but it seems to be a rare mix of factors that does it. Anyway. my iphone 4 sold and I now have an iphone 5 which seems to work perfectly.

19. nyse19 macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 Crashing after moving Apps

Experiencing same issue. When moving apps on iOS6 on iPhone 5, my phone restarts.

20. guiambros macrumors newbie

Exactly the same here, on an iPhone 4S just upgraded to iOS6. Screen dims to a minimum, crashes, reboots.

The workaround of moving one app at a time didn't work for me; it still crashes when moving just 1 app and pressing HOME. But interestingly, it doesn't crash all the time. I notice that when I drop the app I'm dragging, it goes automatically to the previous screen. Then I press HOME and it crashes. But sometimes I drop the app and it stays in the same screen; then I press HOME and it doesn't crash... Go figure.

Impressive. Did you guy have used Jailbreak at any point? (I did). Maybe it's some conflict with previously installed libraries or something?

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

22. Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Same issue here. I started my own thread but rather than appear like a cry baby I decided to search for another and bump someone else's. I wonder why Apple didn't address this with the update? For the record no issue with my iPad 3 only on my 4S.

23. chadryan macrumors newbie

I'm also having this exact same problem. Definitely seems to be when moving an app across multiple pages.

24. shanksmd macrumors newbie

New iPhone 5 with IOS6

Same issue, but only when moving apps that you're not allowed to delete (the ones without an X on them when wiggling). Is anyone from Apple paying attention? This thread is months old now.

25. Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

No idea if Apple is aware of this issue. It happened in my iPad 3 as well but only once so far. It's happened at least 2 dozen times in the 4S.