Moving from PC to Macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mark Morb, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying my partner a Macbook for Christmas (she loves my iMac). She already has an iPhone and a large music library, apps, etc. all installed and syncing from iTunes on her Windows Laptop.
    Will it just be a case of plugging the iPhone into the new Macbook and letting iTunes sync from the iPhone itself or is there more to it than that?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark

2. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

It's a little more than that, but I'm not 100% sure what all it entails. I just purchased by first Macbook Pro, along with the one to one plan for $99. If you have this plan, you can bring your PC into your local Apple Store for a free data transfer. They took everything off my PC (songs, photos, files, etc) and loaded it onto my new Macbook Pro. They also sent up my iTunes account on my new Mac. Obviously, the one to one plan is for so much more than this, but it's a nice added feature.

3. theman510 macrumors 6502

I used an external hard drive to transfer my songs, pictures, documents, etc. over from my PC to my new macbook pro. didn't take long at all, was free, and had no problems. Just click and drag. I certainly wouldn't pay $99 for just switching files over. that took about 5 minutes for me to do myself. i'm not sure what the one-to-one service entails but i didn't need it.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

With respects to contacts, Address Book will copy all of her contacts to her new MacBook. As per email accounts, she has to set those up in Mail. Songs, you have to copy all media from her Windows laptop to her new MacBook. However media can be transfered by a Genius for free the same day you buy the MacBook (all files she wants too).

Apps don't worry, they transfer over in the first sync.

5. Mark Morb thread starter macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Thanks for all the great advice. I shall probably copy all the music onto an external drive and then reimport it into iTunes on the mac...hopefully contacts, apps, etc..will be synced from the iphone through itunes..

6. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

i believe everyone should have an EHD anyways...great backup...and you'll want one for the macbook for the time machine.

7. callumacrae macrumors newbie

You can then have quite a lot of fun seeing how high you can drop the win-doze laptop from before it breaks ;)

~Callum

8. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

After reading up on this before transferring stuff to my new MBP, I decided to go the Apple-recommended way and do a full iTunes backup to...ugh...DVDs, and then a restore onto the MacBook. There's some metadata, apparently, and maybe it involved album art, too, that is backed up during the process and aids in the smooth transfer of the entire library to the MBP. I've forgotten the particulars. So, 20-something DVDs later, and a lot of time invested, of course, everything on the MBP was a-okay. And I have a full backup on DVDs, just in case it's ever needed. Which it won't be, because I have a little external HDD dedicated to Time Machine now, but what the heck. It was another experience, and you can never have too many of those, eh? Good luck to you.