Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
Lots of shelving, keeping things off of the floor. This will help make the place more organised and tidy with out to much effort.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
sand uneven things, clean the floors, perfect the room itself, and then paint the walls. Multiple coats! The paint will last a long time if you put the effort in and do it nice. After that, put in well designed furniture. It doesn't necessarily have to be expensive, but if there's anything worth investing in it would be in your home, IMO. But don't get a lot of furniture and certainly not bean bag chairs, ewww ;). Repaint and refinish wood surfaces. Avoid clutter at all costs. Keep stuff you access less than once every 3 days in a closet. Think minimal when it comes to decoration, let the space be a decoration for itself. Maintain a color scheme, something dark with good mood lighting. Then keep it clean! The end result:

03_after.jpg

I find that when my room is organized, beautiful, clean, and minimal, I can function much better in my daily life. Tidy room, tidy mind!

e

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Be sure to get some nice lamps. The right lighting is an essential part, I like more subdued lighting as opposed to harsher fluorescent lights.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Prince is icky :).

Be sure to get some nice lamps. The right lighting is an essential part, I like more subdued lighting as opposed to harsher fluorescent lights.

get energy efficient bulbs, you'll save money in the long run and it helps the environment immensely.

e

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for the ideas

This is the proposed room plan.

This is the main room, in addition I have a small walk-in storage room and of course a kitchen and bathroom.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 200

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
My place was nice and clean until my mom decided to move to a smaller place and I found out just how much of my stuff was still stored at her house. One of these days I'll make it through all the boxes. :cool:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
minimal is good. store, give away or trash things you will not use all the time. The less you have the easer it is to clean. A small place can get messy really soon. In a smaller place light colors will help it feel bigger. The nice thing is computer stuff can usually be packed comfortably in a small space making more room for everything else.

I just moved into a place a lot smaller then my old one, but moving stuff around I was able to make it work. I also Craigslist'ed almost half my crap. Once I'm done I will post ya a picture of a nice way to get computery things in a small area,

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Thanks for the ideas

This is the proposed room plan.

This is the main room, in addition I have a small walk-in storage room and of course a kitchen and bathroom.

OK stupid question but where is the window? the entire bottom?

if the bottom is the window I would switch the bed and desk.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A metal pole?

Funny I was just about to gripe about the fact that they have bachelor apartments and no bachelorette. And for me I was thinking for that type of apartment they should have a metal pole. Be good entertainment for the boys. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Where does the kitchen attach to the room? What about the bathroom and walk-in closet, front door, etc.

It's hard to know what to say without knowing what this place currently looks like. What type of flooring? What colour? Where would you keep all the ladiez? .....blah blah blah....

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
one could always guess how it looks now. it may be a stretch to think the fridge would be in the bathroom and the stove in the bedroom. although...that's pretty close to what my apartment is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.