Moving to a new hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calabi, Feb 1, 2011.

1. calabi macrumors regular

Hello MR forums!

Just a quick question, hoping somebody has already tried this or might have some advice?

I'm going to move to a new hard drive on my early 2008 macbook pro, I'm just wondering what the best way to move my operating system with? I've heard this is easy with Time Machine, just plug-in the new drive and restore.. also I've heard about SuperDuper? I'm going to be moving from a 200GB drive to a 500GB drive so the space will increase. Any ideas people? Love the forum!

Thanks for you help if your reading.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Put the new drive in an enclosure, use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup of your drive to the new one, then just swap the drives.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Actually, Disk Utility does this just fine.

4. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, awesome responses. Glad I know I have a few options for the transfer!

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Another option is using your original OSX CD to do a clean install on the new drive, update it via online update, then use 'Migration Assistant' for all of your programs/settings/files...the advantage of a clean install for OSX is debated and it seems to not be all that important but none the less, now you have 3 of probably 10+ ways of doing it. :p