Moving to College - What do I need?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AuntieEm2, Jul 20, 2011.

1. AuntieEm2 macrumors newbie

I've been lurking for a while but finally felt the need to post. I'm going away to school this fall and I plan to have a new MBP running Lion by then. I'd love to also be able to use Time Machine so I don't have to worry about losing anything when I take my new MBP around NYC. I'm pretty good at using my computer but not so much with networks and external drives and such so bear with me.

The school's website says:
    With me being forced to use the University's internet, I assume a Time Capsule isn't worth it. Or is it? What should I get instead?

The website also says
    Would I really need an adapter? I mean, I'll have an Ethernet port built in. I'm just surprised they would say it's required if not. What will I actually want/need.

And they also say to get a USB printer, not wireless. Should I assume that the entry level printer that I can get the $100 rebate on when I buy my MBP is good enough? I'd been hoping to get something with AirPrint... Even if I can't use it at school, wouldn't it be helpful to have a printer with AirPrint for the future? Or should I just go with the cheaper option and figure I'll buy a new printer someday anyway?

Thanks for your help!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You might want to check if your university allows routers (though many people still use them despite the rules), but it's up to you if you want to buy a Time capsule (basically a router + HDD). Edit, just saw the quoted text which forbids you from having a router. In that case, it's up to you to decide if you want to get one or not.

If you want to go a cheaper route, without the router, for back ups - you can just buy a portable hard drive (like this ) instead. It will work fine with time machine.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's quite common to have a ban on wireless networks at university. I'd follow wordoflife's advice- get an external hard disk and leave it on your desk.

Don't worry about an adapter, your MBP will have a perfectly fine ethernet port.

AirPrint is very cool, I got a HP one this year and like it a lot. However, how long will you be without a wireless network? If it's a while it may not be worth it, printers don't last forever! (Don't know much about US college life- in the UK most students "live out" in their 2nd and 3rd years in private accommodation so will have wifi).

4. johnmadden78 macrumors member

If you get a wireless printer without AirPrint, there's a free application for the Mac called 'AirPrint Activator' that lets you use it as an AirPrint printer anyway. I have a cheap HP DeskJet 3050 (Wireless, but not AirPrint) and the program lets me print to it from my iPad.
    Only downside is your Mac needs to be switched on for it to work.

Get the highest spec laptop and printer you can afford, take some appropriate security precautions (jealousy is a terrible thing) and above all...

Good luck, and have fun in college.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No, you don't need an adapter. Their provided information must have been written back in 2002, because 1000Mbps (they mention 10) ethernet connections are common. And you might want to consider a laser printer unless you need color. The price per page is alot cheaper, and they're considerably faster.

You'll pay more for a toner cartridge, but get more out of it than the standard inkjet cartridges. I'd go USB personally.

6. S.Jobs macrumors member

Get a printer with an automatatic document feeder for scanning and dont worry about wireless. I got this great printer by epson and i can scan directly to my ipad. also just get a portable hard drive. i got one off of amazon for less than 100 bucks and it was 1 TB

7. AuntieEm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks for all your help. I'm feeling a lot less overwhelmed now. :)