Moving to Louisville, KY. What should I know?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ktbubster, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Hey all.

I'm going to be making a move to Louisville, KY from Northern IL in a few weeks. I have always very much liked KY and also own a horse, and the nice amount of horse barns and cheaper boarding down there is going to be nice.

I know Louisville is a college town and has a nice art district and seems to have a lot of nice little places, and in the main city too and such... but I'm just wondering if there is anything from people who live there, near there, lived there or just know what's up, that I should know, definitely check out, or get involved in.

Perhaps any community groups or cool places to check out, cafe's to hit, bars, maybe places with swing or salsa dancing sometime? gallerys good for possibly submitting work to sell...

Whatever! :) Any info would be great. Keep in mind i'll be new and not know really anyone, so meeting people would be great too.

Also, I am looking at apartments right now.

Old Louisville and Highlands at the moment. I really like the older buildings and converted old houses and stuff into apartments (not interested in a newer complex or something like that). Any suggestions in those areas or other good areas?

-(street names (from blank to blank is good north to south/east to west) preferably near the campus (I just graduated, so that age range would be nice) or downtown stuff. I know there are some... unsavory areas around there too, so someplace safer is a must, and allows small dogs.

That's about it! Any suggestions of any sort are welcome and appreciated. Even trivia! Educate me people! :)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

haha, yes yes they do. And yes, i've seen the giant bat :)

4. kygeographer macrumors member

Heine Brothers Coffee has a few shops all over Louisville. There's a lot of really good restaurants in Louisville, especially the Highlands. Louisville Originals has a really good list of some locally owned places. Definitely check out Lynn's Paradise Cafe if you can; locally produced food. Huge portions though. LEO Weekly is the local weekly alternative newspaper in Louisville, definitely worth checking out. Heine Brothers has free copies there, I know. Sorry that I don't have any suggestions for dancing; I live a bit aways from Louisville, so I'm rarely there at night. Livejournal has a pretty active Louisville community that might be able to suggest some places. First Friday Trolley Hop is a gallery hop that runs the first Friday of each month.

Oh, and there's a really good Mac reseller in Louisville. MacAuthority is the name.

If you have any other questions, feel free to IM me.:)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh! Make sure you head over to Frankfort to check out the distilleries! :)

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

not sure if I would call it a college town or not, but I would check out some of the new places that are being build on east market street if I were you. Sounds like you would enjoy that area.

Also, UofL will be building a large new student apt complex soon, so that might give you some negotiating leverage if you are looking at the old houses by campus.

If anything, I would say Louisville is a foodie city; there is an endless supply of outstanding local restaurants here for any type of cuisine you might possibly want.

7. kygeographer macrumors member

Definitely.. I live and work in Frankfort, about a half mile from the capitol, and you can smell it each morning in the air.. yum!:D

8. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Mainly learn to say "lul ville" rather than "louisville" and fit in better... seriously.

9. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

haha, Yeah, I've heard that I have to stop with my "looey" ville and work on variations of lul or loul vul :) I'm attempting to get in that habit now when telling people my plans for the next year.

I'll definitely check out Frankfort.

I actually meant college town as far as more, there is a university and more so the age group that seems to populate a decent part of the city. Not so much college town in the other senses.

Yeah, i'm a big fan of good coffee and tea, so i'll def check out the cafes you guys mentioned.

And, I got a good handle on all the mac places :) hehe. That was a top priority for me! The offices I am hopefully going to be working at (Design is my field) are all Macs. Makes me a happy camper.

Thanks for all the replies so far and keep the stuff coming!

Any more information is welcome. I'll be absorbing as much as possible before I go! :)

Oh, btw, random not to relavent question, but is Louisville a "Soda" or "Pop" or "Cola" town. I'm used to Pop, but There is much debate on the correct term depending where you are from lol.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Things to do in KY:

1. Learn to drink Bourbon.
    2. Go watch Corvettes being made.
    2a. Visit the National Corvette Museum
    3. Get a signature baseball bat.
    4. Go spelunking.
    5. Get into landscape photography.
    6. Watch the ponies.
    7. Learn to speak a little Japanese.

Then, in your second week... :D

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In your second week,

1. Learn at least 10 Muhammed Ali quotes.
    2. Learn to drink Sweet Tea... and LOVE it.
    3. In addition to #3 above, get a signature Pink baseball bat (your mom will love you for it). :)
    4. Spot the UPS planes.
    5. Treat yourself to Breakfast at Waffle House, then
    6. Learn to avoid Waffle House like the plague.

Then in your third week (after your first trip to the hospital)... ;)

BL.

12. LynnW macrumors member

Graeter's Famous French Pot Ice Cream

Louisville hot brown sandwiches.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's so pretty there too. I have some friends who live there. It's very nice to visit.

14. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Hey! I already got 2 and 5 down! 6... not so much... I love a good waffle house breakfast, well, now that i live out of state I do, I guess I might not once I move :) Give me sweet tea and grits... yum :) haha

Not sure if I can learn to stomach bourbon, but I can happily watch the ponies, do landscape photography and get a signature baseball bat! :)

These are all great suggestions. Keep em coming!

The icecream and sandwiches sound great! :)

and ummm why japanese? :)

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'd love to live closer to Louisville...

It's the only city in Kentucky with an :apple: Store!

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

We are a Coke town.
    Example:

1:"Yes, I would like a Coke"
    2:"We serve Pepsi"
    1:"That's what I meant."

NEVER SAY "POP"! YOU WILL BE HARASSED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

I will make a list of the things I like to do, that you may like yourself (in no particular order).

-Kart Kountry
    -Anywhere in the highlands, Wicks Pizza, O'Shea's, Cafe 360, Palermo Viejo, to name a few
    -Bass Pro Shop. Go there whether you hunt/fish/golf or not.
    -Fourth Street Live!
    -Waterfront park is a great place to walk around anytime. If you love walking long distances, there is a waterfront trail that starts at the Waterfront park and goes east for > 8 miles.
    - +1 for Homemade Pie and Ice Cream Kitchen. Amazing!
    -Falls of the Ohio park is a cool place to visit when the river is dammed up. It's free to go onto the riverbed. The museum is the one that costs.
    -Cherokee Park. A large park near the Highlands, full of trails, some official and most are unofficial. Like the one that leads to the top of the tunnel entrance of I-64.
    -Wal-Mart. To get to know the clientele. :D

17. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

ditto! :(

18. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

That's just confusing. Perhaps i'll try to start saying soda, not sure I can keep myself from being confused with that Coke is everything stuff. I better restrain myself from Pop though then. I'm not sure if I can retrain 23 years of POPing, but I will try for risk of being shunned :)

hehe

19. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I say soda and I live in the ville. you will be fine with soda.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should really screw with them and ask for a fountain drink.

21. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Well, I suppose if by not getting shunned, the OP wanted to get killed instead...:p

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

no no no

I moved into a soda region, and I still say pop. If people want to tease you so what. I've actually used pop / soda to get a date twice because nearly any girl will say "oh you must not be from around here" if you say pop instead of soda/coke. Be pop proud - its who you are, never forget your roots.

The most important thing about moving to kentucky is how good you are at cornhole?

http://www.playcornhole.org/

23. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I love cornhole! I've got a set with a painted union flag and a the other is painted confederate.

How about hillbilly golf? You've got to learn that game as well, if you want to fit in.

24. vniow macrumors G4

25. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

lol POP proud.

And.. Kentucky - because it's BEAUTIFUL. :) It's just a nice state imo. And Louisville is just on the border so it's not really south.

Don't diss what you don't understand :p