moving to New York, have some iPhone questions (logistics)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seenew, Apr 19, 2011.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

So I'm moving to Brooklyn from Georgia in June, and I am going to be getting an iPhone. Originally I was going to wait for the 5 to come out, but since that got pushed back to September (most likely), I'm just going to go ahead and pick up the 4. If I really want, I'll sell it later and upgrade at the premium.

Anyway, so I'm still in Georgia but I want to get a New York phone number. Does anyone know if this is possible? I pay into my parents' family plan and I know you can have multiple area codes on the same plan, but I don't know about this other part.
    I just want to go ahead and have my new number before I move so all of my relevant contacts in the city will have already changed/added it instead of my old number.

A friend said I could maybe do it if I had a New York address to give them, and I could probably use a friend's if that's the case.

2. macingman, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011

macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

To the OP: you will be Better off giving AT&T a call then asking here.

3. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

When I opened an additional line on my account, they asked which area code for my area I would prefer (nyc has 5 or so area codes)

So I would guess that they give out phone numbers based on where the primary account is registered.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I wouldnt be surprised if Apple themselves was leaking these September rumors to sell the white iPhone and boost iPhone 4 sales overall.

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I THINK there is a way to do it without the address. I once bought a phone for a girlfriend and used a card with a billing address from my other residence outside the city. She was initially given the area code from the billing address and we were able to callthem and have it changed. Another option is using google voice. I love it you choose your area code and free texting.

6. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

YEP. Exactly... it will obviously boost sales of the iPhone 4. They aren't idiots.

7. rawdawg macrumors 6502

AT&T = the enemy, GO VERIZON

Well.... Let me just say I LOVE Apple. I live in NYC and it is a VERY WELL KNOWN FACT that AT&T is absolute garbage here.

I cannot stress this enough.. I am on the verge of dumping them and eating the fee to go to Verizon. I may even do Metro PCS or Virgin Mobile because paying $130 a month is getting very old. Even if it means giving up the iPhone.

If you go AT&T you will not be happy. I have many dropped calls every day. They are the absolute worst garbage phone company ever #%$# into civilization. "More bars in more places"--- yeah, because bars don't mean anything anymore. They've programmed their towers in such a way that yeah great, I have full bars, but that doesn't stop the dropped calls, cutting in and out of conversations, outgoing calls that don't go through. This happens full bars or not.

I've made it a habit to call them every few months and complain and they usually kick me $50 or so. I think everyone should do this. It's the only way we'll get them to fix anything.

THEY ARE TERRIBLE! Read this AT&T -- YOU SUCK!

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Good for you that Verizon has an iPhone now then?

9. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

As much as some people complain on AT&T's performance in NYC - I've never had a major problem. Maybe 1 or 2 dropped calls a year. Its true, the data (3G) doesnt work as fast sometimes, but that would happen to Verizon too, if more people had the Verizon iPhone.

10. wordoflife, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

AT&T hasn't been terrible for me in NYC either.

As someone posted earlier, can't you just make a Google Voice account and set it with a NYC area code (you pick your area code) and then just port the number to AT&T? :confused:

11. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm on Verizon, never said anything about AT&T.
    I have an NYC number with Google Voice already but it seems like too much of a hassle to really set up and use. Plus, doesn't it not show as that number if you are making a call to someone else? Like, they could call me on my NYC number and it would go to my phone, but if I make a call to someone else, it would come from my Georgia area code..

And as far as Apple leaking the September stuff, I mean, if that's the case do you think it's true that it's been pushed back? Or will they still release in June/July?

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Gotta love how some NewYorkers think terrible service affects all of us. :cool:

I live in Queens, frequent Manhattan often and all over Brooklyn every other day. Basically I'm all over NYC and had pretty good service overall. Of course there are some black holes at specific places but that goes for every carrier, city & state. I have noticed that some of these black hole places improved alot. Williamsburg, BK used to be the absolute worst, now it pretty decent during the last month. As far as Manhattan goes, I never experienced the terrible service many talk about.

13. firehead428 macrumors member

Why do you want a New York number? Keep the Georgia number, you'll save a ******** on taxes. New York has the highest cell phone tax in the nation...i think its 21% or so.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Area code doesn't matter, it would be the address on the account that would affect any taxes.

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Google voice

Its not really that much of a hassle. They have an app that allows you to call and text just like you would from the iphone app. The ONLY small inconvenience is that if you want your number to show up on your friends caller id, you have to set up the app to "call back" at your iphone number. Essentially the phone calls you while placing the call to the other party. I am in the google ecosystem so this doesnt bother me all that much. Plus, i love it that i can text anyone from anywhere i have internet access. Like right now im in the bahamas with no phone access but i can text everone like crazy because i have internet. VERY convenient. Also, its great that when im surfing a business on google chrome i can click on the phone number and my phone automatically calls the business. All of these advantages more than make up the small "call back" disadvantage of google voice for me anyway.

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Yeah those all got snagged up REALLY quick on gv unfortunately. And probably by people that live nowhere near the area code. :rolleyes:

18. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Ya I was so close to getting one. My current number is 801-***-5008, they had 212-***-5006 but not mine. I ended just getting my own area code instead.

19. DiLui007 macrumors newbie

DiLui007

I also never had a problem with my iPhone 3G living in NYC. I would rarely get dropped calls. Never had a problem with it overall. Either I'm lucky or other people have faulty antennas on their iPhones.

20. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

You can port your number over for free to a local NY number with ATT.

21. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

bumping for anyone searching this thread in the future.

I just dialed *611 (again, I'm on Verizon) and then I pressed 0 to speak to a human (hate automated menus), and just asked if I could change my phone number. They said sure, and the only question they asked was my password and what area code I wanted. I got to choose the area code and the first 3 digits after that (something like the "exchange" number or something).

So I got 646-484-****. Hung up, dialed *228, and pressed 1, and it reset my phone with the new number. Whole thing took less than ten minutes.